The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Love
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:34 pm 
What book is your first love? Not neccessarly some classic, or even the greatest book you ever read, just the first book that really touched you, or got you fascinated with reading, or with reading a specific genera. The book you could read a thousand times, or never read again but always have a copy on your bookshelf. What book gives you warm, fuzzy, excited, loving feelings?

Mine is So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:48 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Frank Herbert's Dune. Read it when I was around 10 or 11 years old, and still love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:09 pm 
Hugh Lofting's "Doctor Doolittle's Circus", and Karl May's "Winnetou".
I couldn't imagine a world without them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:26 pm 
When I was ten or so, I read Cameron Langford's Winter of the Fisher. It got me interested in nature books, so I started reading some stuff by Hal Borland and Edwin Way Teale, both of whom are still favorites of mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:23 pm 
Bruce Coville's Goblins in the Castle. I was young. Actually, I still admire the guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:29 pm 
Oh! I love Bruce Coville. I loved Jennifer Murdley's Toad when I was little, and plan on reading it to my own, or someone else's children one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:47 am 
"Expedition from River Bend". I read it when I was eight. I had already read a few good books by then, but they were all boring at first, and only caught my interest after a while. This book had me fascinated from the beginning to the end. Excellent read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:26 pm 
The first book I probably truely loved, is one titledPrincesses and Peasant Boys. It had stories like "Mighty Mikilo(sp?)", "How the Princess's Pride was broken" and others I can't remember the title of anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:21 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Well, Robert Heinlein's Have Space Suit, Will Travel is what really got me interested in science fiction...

Where the Wild Things Are is another favorite. Probably my first favorite.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:30 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Difficult question. My tastes have tended more toward science fiction and fantasy than anything else over the years. It's reached the point where I actually have to make a conscious choice to pick up something that isn't in those genres, which means it's probably time to make the effort.

Some of the ones that stand out in my memory are Waylander by David Gemmel (not his best, but the first I read) and The Hobbit, both when I was about 10 or 11. I was inspired to read Lord of the Rings, but didn't enjoy it then, probably too young. I have since reread it and enjoyed it immensely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:26 pm 
I loved Roald Dahl's "Matilda". I also liked Louis Fitzhugh's "Harriet the Spy". I still have that one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:02 pm 
Gah! So many... I think the first book I read to death was Tom Sawyer. The first scifi was the Dune series; I still keep both of those series on a shelf close at hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:29 pm 
Shogun by James Clavell. I read it for the first time in Jr. High...in three days...it takes longer to read it now.. but I still enjoy it. Another book is Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper. I stll have those original books purchased way back when.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:10 am 
Intern
Intern

So many books, so many years...

I'd never heard of Larry Niven until I picked up a copy of "The Ringworld Engineers" at a yard sale. After reading that book I wanted to read everything else by him.

I dunno how many books I've read over the years, but I'm pretty sure it's a ways over 3,000. I read every SF&F book in my Jr. High school's library and made a good dent in the biographies and books in the reference section, which was any book they wouldn't let be checked out. Not including dictionaries and encyclopedias. I wasn't _that_ big a bookworm! ;)

I need to have a place where I can build shelves to put my whole book collection. The last time I had them all together and inventoried (in WordStar on a CP/M computer) I had nearly 500 SF books by over 200 authors and 40 publishers.

People who only read books by one or two or so authors are just limiting themselves a bit, eh? ;)

I'm a compulsive reader. It's simply not possible for me to NOT read any text that passes in front of my eyes. (And yes, that can get annoying at times.)

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".