The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lemony Snicket
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:56 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Anyone here read "A Series of Unfortunate Events"?

I'm into the third book now and I really enjoyed the first two... But in the third one, the believability has gone WAY down. And I'm not really enjoying it that much. Hopefully it improves again.

[spoiler]Aunt Josephine is SO FARKING STUPID!!! I mean, come ON! Afraid of doorknobs shattering, but she's got glass cases in her library, and that HUGE WINDOW in there? Afraid of the telephone electrocuting her? Why's she even GOT one then? And she's afraid of cooking food because the stove might catch fire, but she sets out lit candles at dinnertime... Come ON!

Also, she doesn't believe that Captain Sham is Count Olaf because he's only got one eye and doesn't even have a left ankle... And besides, his business card says he's Captain Sham, so that proves it. What a stupid, stupid woman.

Oh yeah, and I just got to the part where they read her "suicide note"... How stupid is that, she harps the whole book on grammar grammar grammar blah blah blah, and then the note's totally grammatically incorrect... I mean, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can tell instantly that it was Olaf who wrote it... And I haven't even read that far into the book.[/spoiler]

So yeah, the third book is falling way flat.

I mean, sure they're kids books, but even kids books can be intelligently written. Look at anything by Roald Dahl. Look at the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series. Look at Tom Swift. Look at Harry Potter. And, even though he's in a class of his own entirely, look at Heinlein's juveniles. Kids books don't have to be unintelligent. Kids are a lot smarter than we adults give them credit for.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)