[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Worst book you own

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:58 pm 
Part of the problem many people seem to have with the "classics" is in dealing with the changes in language. I unreservedly love Moby Dick and read it every other year or so, even though the language is so archaic by today's standards as to take a bit of getting used to.

Also, Melville is pretty damn long-winded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:33 pm 
Most of Shakespere's plays are published with the play on the right-hand page and footnotes on the left page. It makes it much easier to read.

One book I read that was in really archaic English was Beowulf. lThe book had the original early English on the left page, and a modern translation on the right. It was impossible to read the original. It was like another language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:19 am 
It pretty much was a different language. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:43 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:16 pm 
My advice?? Avoid works by Phillip Athans. I may be a collector, but his work is just atrocious, and considering that most Fantasy series in a corperately owned setting aren't exactly highbrow to begin with, that's saying something.

Last edited by IS_Wolf on Thu May 27, 2004 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:18 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Avatar by Steve Troop of Melonpool! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:22 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:47 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:31 pm 
As another person said, I tend to stop reading books early if they're bad, and thus don't own any really bad ones.

As far as school is concerned though, I consider Ethan Frome to be the worst book I've read to date. I really get into a lot of the "classics," but that one went from being unable to stand the characters to simply loathing the entire thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:53 am 
But What of Earth by Piers Anthony. Not so much because of the writing and story, but because of what the publishers did to it.

He released a "corrected" version within the last 7-8 years or so that included all of the junk that the original release had in the footnotes. If he had simply re-released his version without the hissy fit it would have been a good book, but with all the other junk and his personal diatribe (however justified it was) it was a frustrating read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:31 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Oh, I donno.

The cool thing about the re-release is that you can just read the book and totally ignore the footnote markers.

Or you can read the book and turn to the footnotes very frequently for explanations of what the editors did to the book.

I think it's kind of fascinating to see just what the editors did to the book.

They certainly fouled it up, that's for sure. They were *WAY* out of line.

But then again, I kinda have a soft spot for the ranting of the old ogre. :)

I do wish they'd quit making him write Xanth, though. The first few Xanth books were quite good, but then the series went downhill. And now, it's quite obvious from just reading the books that Anthony hates to write Xanth.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:37 am 
I've got somethin here called Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush. It is supposed to be some kind of ghost story but I never managed to get past the first few pages.

The Harry Potter books definately get better as they progress. The first one was just plain awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:13 am 
Intern
Intern

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".