[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - June 17, 2017 Scheduled Immortality

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Wait. Kaff doesn't know when he updates?

That's like the second thing I'd want to know upon getting the immortality package.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well, he's just made it clear that he doesn't really care.

Actually, I think this is an interesting thing: We've been talking about whether a copy is you, but Tagon hasn't actually taken issue with that. He still seems to think that he's the guy who's mother was killed by a nanny attack, and his father is the general.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

True, the only thing Tagon seems to take issue with is that those 42 minutes divergence do not belong to him.

Also to me this reads less that Tagon as surprised about the time as he is that the backups have a schedule at all. Which suggests that before his heroic sacrifice it was a personal choice when to make backups and the company has made regular backups for everybody a policy since then. Which in a way makes sense as the value of those backups has just been made extremely clear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The old Tagon is dead and gone and this one is a replacement. The real issue, aside from those 42 minutes he feels he can't take credit for, is that if he dies, he won't be coming back. He will be replaced in the same way. Tagon isn't upset by the fact he will be replaced, he feels his people deserve to have a Tagon, but he knows that it will be the end for him if it happens, hence he still cares about his own personal survival.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:40 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:07 am 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:39 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well, my point is that there's two philosophical problems here. One, is Tagon the same person who grew up, joined the military, formed a mercenary company, etc. The second is whether he's the same person who used a nuclear hand grenade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

This almost looks like The Doctor's view of regeneration. I die, and a new person wakes up and takes over.

From what little we've seen of Time Lord society, that does not seem to be the normal view of most time lords in high society / politics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

It's not even the doctor's view half the time. Identifying coherent motivations for anybody in that show is problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:38 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:04 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Personally, I think you're wrong. Tagon might be the same person who grew up with the General, but he truly isn't the guy with the nuclear hand grenade. Their lifepaths diverged, so you get two different people. Kevyn and his time-clone aren't the same person, either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:01 am 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:21 am 
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:44 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 am 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

FWIW, I agree with evileeyore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:59 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I agree with StClair agreeing with evileeyore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:41 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Now... I'm not saying Kaff can't evolve under the delusion he is operating under. In fact... i kinda like Kaff the way he is and so do his subordinates.

He's already operating at a very high level of "Not In The Kaff", he's also very much a "Lead From The Front" officer, and he is willing to take one for his command. He is every bit the type of brass the grunts want leading them, which right now meshes very well with the style of leadership and strategy his father uses, the type of brass that the grunts will end up hating*.

* It just takes one time shelling your own men on purpose to turn them from worship to hatred.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-08-25

All I know is that the phrase used is "you locked me out" not "they locked me out" or simply "I was locked out".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:04 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 am 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Just as a note, she specifically said she's unable to WEAPONIZE gravity onboard ship.

Deflecting incoming paintball rounds is not a weaponized application and in fact would require very little power. A quick shift of gravity even a tenth of a gee could swerve rounds going at paintball speeds (which would naturally be going slower than bullet speeds, because at bullet speeds paintballs may as well BE bullets)

So don't take Iafa's use during paintball to mean the lockout came AFTER. It was probably done during the initial refit that made Broken Wind usable by humanoids in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:14 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'd quote, but I can't rip it out of the huge block on iPad, so I won't.

Since when was fine control a factor? Fine gravy control is less a factor of AI power and more 'number of sources of gravity you can bring to bear', so far as I remember from when it was mentioned in a boarding scenario. During the Ceeta on the Serial Peacemaker days, I think? Or maybe during the TAG days. Anyway, Iafa could deflect the paintballs, but, again, *that isn't a weaponized application*. Weaponization suggests high power levels from the systems in question. Basically, I think Iafa was locked out by restricting the amount of power she could tell the grav systems to use.

The inertiics would still work fine, via their own automatic systems.

Also, Broken Wind is basically a carrier. It's supposed to stand away from the battle while the boats do the heavy lifting. It really isn't too out of line to believe they never thought they'd have to repel boarders without having the grunts there to fight, or a boat nearby to gravy the decks remotely.

The only reason it was POSSIBLE was because of the enormous security hole of Kevyn's lab and it's Teraport cages.