The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Err... I appreciate the utility of having a hundred deployable drones... I'd prefer my heavies keep wearing their armour though. This seems like a terrible idea. Plasma is cheap, and carbonan undies doesn't stop it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Yeah
Besides the bit, "killing people for shits n giggles"
eh boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Bear in mind that their uniforms are actually pretty substantial protection. And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of those drones had the same kind of point defenses that Haban had way back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm 
Intern
Intern

Arcanestomper wrote:
Bear in mind that their uniforms are actually pretty substantial protection. And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of those drones had the same kind of point defenses that Haban had way back.
Wasn't Haben a fairly highly ranked AI though? I don't think the grunts would be too happy about their underwear being smarter than them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:43 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
Wasn't Haben a fairly highly ranked AI though? I don't think the grunts would be too happy about their underwear being smarter than them.

With most of them there would be no difference at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands (AKA MN)
One of the few times you would rather your subordinates exceed their briefs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Trying to figure out how having the chesplate pop off, flip upside down and land as a shield is in any way a good idea. Maybe it's designed to protect against a plasma hit and it vents heat better if doing so won't cook its occupant? Kind of reminds me of the ablative armor the heavies had with Murtaugh's last employer, which could survive exactly one plasma hit and then self-destructed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:

Yes, but there's still a certain look to "and now half the hardsuit has popped off". I admit that I initially assumed that Elf had accidentally popped herself out of her armor and was trying to make it look deliberate; it just doesn't have the appearance of something that would be done on purpose. (Although I suspect that part of why this is making me recoil a little is that this has the feel of Elf being overconfident. "Any one of our heavies could clear this ship, so I'm going to do it and show off the new gear while we're at it"...when we saw Elf roll out a new modification that Kevyn didn't get briefed on ahead of time to the teraport cage recently? Yeah, it feels like Murphy's about to ask Charlie onto the dancefloor.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Their uniforms are the bomb against small-arms fire, and, well, bombs. Might even be sufficient in this situation. But there's a reason they got the hardsuits! And even hardsuits cook under plasma fire, we've seen it in-comic.

I like the proposal that this will be additional "Elf what the holy hell are you DOING" material for Kevyn. Guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Is Elf trying to get killed, or get others killed? Sticking to the agreed plan is very, very important in complex fights.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:

evileeyore wrote:
With most of them there would be no difference at all.

bert2368 wrote:
One of the few times you would rather your subordinates exceed their briefs.

You three win the Internet today.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
But there's a reason they got the hardsuits! And even hardsuits cook under plasma fire, we've seen it in-comic.

True, but that may be why the "breastplate becomes a pavise" was developed. But for it to be practical, the person inside needs to act like a crossbowyer, not like a heavy. If your breastplate is separate from your suit, you have to pick it up and move it every time you move--heavies have to stay mobile, so for them, this isn't a very good design.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:28 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

At that point, you don't need heavies. You need light armour, aka a tank.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:32 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:
But there's a reason they got the hardsuits! And even hardsuits cook under plasma fire, we've seen it in-comic.

True, but that may be why the "breastplate becomes a pavise" was developed. But for it to be practical, the person inside needs to act like a crossbowyer, not like a heavy. If your breastplate is separate from your suit, you have to pick it up and move it every time you move--heavies have to stay mobile, so for them, this isn't a very good design.

It probably moves itself, it did seem to deploy itself.

I'm going to guess that point defenses and shielding are included in the package, such that the operator is better protected by the drones than they would be in the armor. That does leave the question of WHY they would use the breastplate as a pavise though.

On the other hand they could be playing into their immobility. The operator sets up his own mobile fort and deploys drones from that location to do the fighting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

It probably moves itself, it did seem to deploy itself.

I'm going to guess that point defenses and shielding are included in the package, such that the operator is better protected by the drones than they would be in the armor. That does leave the question of WHY they would use the breastplate as a pavise though.

On the other hand they could be playing into their immobility. The operator sets up his own mobile fort and deploys drones from that location to do the fighting.

Probably, as seen by today's strip, because it can become TWO. Front and back of the armor, plus the cannon drones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'll hazard a guess the pavises have limited gravy shielding to protect soft targets like the engineers. I recall Tenzy doing similar when Landon was boarding vs the Essperin.
"That's not a pile of gear, that's point defenses."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Reaver225 wrote:
I'll hazard a guess the pavises have limited gravy shielding to protect soft targets like the engineers. I recall Tenzy doing similar when Landon was boarding vs the Essperin.

Hey look, a bunch of soft targets to defend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

Hey look, a bunch of soft targets to defend.

Or they would be if they weren't basically expendable drones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm pretty sure the warrior drones can't be considered 'soft targets.' They're the combat product of a world which produces predators the size of large buildings, and have nanotech reinforcing pretty much everything.

See, Tenzy's an example of what you'd want to do. You've got the Heavy in armour, and you've got the drones playing point-defense (or hunter-killer, dealer's choice). I just can't imagine a situation where the solution to "we need defensive emplacements" is "make the bullet-sponge more vulnerable." If you need additional emplacements... bring some more gear. Hell, it's leaving the gate at 15m/s, ya hardly have to work at it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 am 
Janitor
Janitor

I think y'all are missing the point of Elf's role.

In this role, she is not the heavy, she the beachhead. She's the dug in trench line. If more heavies had rolled with her, then a few could "toehold" up, and the rest fan out as proper heavies.

Instead, they are showing the UPA, "We can do this with one person". "Try not to wet yourselves thinking about what it would look like if more of us had deployed."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm wondering if a half dozen heavies could drop pavise in an interlocking pattern and 100% seal off a corridor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
I think y'all are missing the point of Elf's role.

I know I missed it until today's strip. Yeah, with Elf setting up a toehold, the pavise design makes a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

More sense, but I still feel like it would be better to carry the shield as extra, not lose all your actual armour to set it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
More sense, but I still feel like it would be better to carry the shield as extra, not lose all your actual armour to set it up.

The thick armour is so she can take a hit point blank from a tank. once the perimeter is secure standard armor is sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

JohnSmith wrote:

I think this way has a "Oh holy shit!" factor going on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:34 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Ohhh, I get it! The shufgar arc.

Kevyn and Elf like it when the armour comes off! :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 am 
Janitor
Janitor

JohnSmith wrote:
Ohhh, I get it! The shufgar arc.

Kevyn and Elf like it when the armour comes off! :P

there could be something to that... not for Kev though. he's got that "Nope, I needs ma armor" engineer vibe to me.

But Elf? She always seems her most glorious when she can fight as unencumbered as possible, reigning over the fight as a goddess of war resplendent only in her savage ferocity...