The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017-12-10: Post-Mortem
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

(a term which, like "dead" itself even in our time, has and will continue to get more complicated for a while)

Looks like someone may be going around double-tapping corpses, probably trying to increase their Laz number (and reduce their chances of revival, or at least of coming back as who they were).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

StClair wrote:
(a term which, like "dead" itself even in our time, has and will continue to get more complicated for a while)

Looks like someone may be going around double-tapping corpses, probably trying to increase their Laz number (and reduce their chances of revival, or at least of coming back as who they were).

This could mean that the explosion was no accident but intentional. Like somebody blowing up an airplane in flight so he could kill one person, the rest are just collateral damage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:31 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

StClair wrote:

Gunshot wounds wouldn't do that. Only gunshot HEAD wounds would have any effect, and that would only go from Laz 1 to Laz 2, and I'm fairly sure the corpsicles are Laz 2 anyway (dead too long with no nannybag). If you have a big enough gun to inflict Laz-3 it doesn't qualify as a "gunshot wound" anymore, and even that isn't really enough to make much difference. You need to hit Laz-4 before revival becomes a serious issue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

sotanaht wrote:
StClair wrote:

Gunshot wounds wouldn't do that. Only gunshot HEAD wounds would have any effect, and that would only go from Laz 1 to Laz 2, and I'm fairly sure the corpsicles are Laz 2 anyway (dead too long with no nannybag). If you have a big enough gun to inflict Laz-3 it doesn't qualify as a "gunshot wound" anymore, and even that isn't really enough to make much difference. You need to hit Laz-4 before revival becomes a serious issue.

I'm imagining a Monty Python sketch when the perpetrators learn why their genocide attempt failed. I'm not thinking up really good script tho.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Zeus67 wrote:
This could mean that the explosion was no accident but intentional. Like somebody blowing up an airplane in flight so he could kill one person, the rest are just collateral damage.

A large number of us have suspected this fromt he start... and then shortly thereafter that it was aimed at killing the non-Uplachans permanently.

grahamf wrote:
I'm imagining a Monty Python sketch when the perpetrators learn why their genocide attempt failed. I'm not thinking up really good script tho.

I'd go with the Dead Parrot sketch personally... but the Cheese Shoppe sketch might have some legs on it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Zeus67 wrote:
StClair wrote:

I see any number of possibilities, and waiting for followup information is almost as much fun as discovering this plot twist in the first place...

First question: Are we absolutely certain than the doctor can tell the difference between a bullet and, say, a piece of lead rod converted into shrapnel?

Second question: How long did it take for everyone to die, following the accident? could this have been an accidental discharge by someone suffocating, or maybe a stray round during a fight over precious intact air supplies?

Third question: Is there anyone not under the Captain's command, currently operating in or near the rescue scene? How many people ARE under his command, anyway?

Fourth question: if someone used a ship to fire ballistic anti-personnel rounds over a long enough range, would our heros have noticed the incoming fire?

So many questions, so many possibilities. and after we figure out the CIRCUMSTANCES of that gunshot, THEN we can start worrying about means, motive, and continuing opportunity....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Krennson wrote:
Zeus67 wrote:
StClair wrote:

I see any number of possibilities, and waiting for followup information is almost as much fun as discovering this plot twist in the first place...

First question: Are we absolutely certain than the doctor can tell the difference between a bullet and, say, a piece of lead rod converted into shrapnel?

Second question: How long did it take for everyone to die, following the accident? could this have been an accidental discharge by someone suffocating, or maybe a stray round during a fight over precious intact air supplies?

Third question: Is there anyone not under the Captain's command, currently operating in or near the rescue scene? How many people ARE under his command, anyway?

Fourth question: if someone used a ship to fire ballistic anti-personnel rounds over a long enough range, would our heros have noticed the incoming fire?

So many questions, so many possibilities. and after we figure out the CIRCUMSTANCES of that gunshot, THEN we can start worrying about means, motive, and continuing opportunity....

Tarpaulin will soon start shooting corpses with nanny probes. These nanny probes are instrumental in the revivification process and have been turned into saboted projectiles. What's to say a similar, bullet shaped, probe, couldn't be used to cause a partial or complete overwrite of the RED?
First kill them. Then make sure they stay dead.

Also, in a world that enjoys such technology, someone bothering to make a bullet out of simple lead is unlikely. That would be somewhat like finding flint flakes in the wound, and determining they were deliberately gutted because flint flakes equals knife.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

It could be that someone (or perhaps several someones) were first shot, then the explosion was set off to both make sure they died and in an attempt to cover up the shooting. In that case, many or most of the casualties here could have been collateral damage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:23 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

The fact that the doctor specifies that the wounds are "post-mortem" argues against that. Someone went through the trouble of shooting this body after they were already dead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:46 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Sean wrote:
Tarpaulin will soon start shooting corpses with nanny probes. These nanny probes are instrumental in the revivification process and have been turned into saboted projectiles. What's to say a similar, bullet shaped, probe, couldn't be used to cause a partial or complete overwrite of the RED?
First kill them. Then make sure they stay dead.

Also, in a world that enjoys such technology, someone bothering to make a bullet out of simple lead is unlikely. That would be somewhat like finding flint flakes in the wound, and determining they were deliberately gutted because flint flakes equals knife.

Interesting theory, but if it's possible at all I'm sure the nanites necessary for that sort of thing can be introduced with something less conspicuous than a bullet.

As for making bullets out of lead, most fighting is done over some immediate objective. You want to do something and the people you fight are standing in your way, or else you are the ones standing in their way. In that case, it's not really important to make sure that the people you shoot STAY dead, permanently, just that they stay dead long enough to get the job done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Nemoricus wrote:
The fact that the doctor specifies that the wounds are "post-mortem" argues against that. Someone went through the trouble of shooting this body after they were already dead.

Which isn't very effective... But they were probably banking on the radiation killing the backup before they were rescued.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:33 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

sotanaht wrote:

Going up to Laz-2 may seriously complicate things if your Laz-3 skin backup is roasted from radiation and so is the "offsite" data storage of yourself because you're working out of one ship.

I highly suspect already that blood-nannies will keep too much data being lost after death if the brain remains intact, which is why Laz-1 is only really needing to get shoved in a cryokit nowadays.

Alternately, if the guy knows WHERE to shoot to destroy a particular memory on someone (bone backup) then it might be selective memory modification and grand property damage instead of attempted murder.

However, I'm going to go with my gut and say "the murderers are incompetent and are using the Laz-1 to 5 list serially by shooting people in the head before attempting to blow up the head".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 pm 
Intern
Intern

StClair wrote:

Nah, our scale of deadness we've had for a very long time has always been fairly flexible: We have "Mostly Dead", which requires a miracle to fix, and "All Dead", where all you can do is go through their clothes and look for loose change.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Fishman wrote:
"All Dead", where all you can do is go through their clothes and look for loose change.
Speaking as an accountant/solicitor, you can do do a lot more with the dead than loose change.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
StClair wrote:

It can cause some short term memory loss. They would forget the last few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Going up to Laz-2 may seriously complicate things if your Laz-3 skin backup is roasted from radiation and so is the "offsite" data storage of yourself because you're working out of one ship.

I highly suspect already that blood-nannies will keep too much data being lost after death if the brain remains intact, which is why Laz-1 is only really needing to get shoved in a cryokit nowadays.

Alternately, if the guy knows WHERE to shoot to destroy a particular memory on someone (bone backup) then it might be selective memory modification and grand property damage instead of attempted murder.

However, I'm going to go with my gut and say "the murderers are incompetent and are using the Laz-1 to 5 list serially by shooting people in the head before attempting to blow up the head".

I suspect that you could recover from a Laz 1 injury with no outside help. You might lose some weight, but it would basically be an annoyance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

"Looter" now has me wondering if the thefts were of brain-matter, memories, and the bullet wound was a measure to cover up evidence of a mind-rip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:00 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Skipping right into epileptic tree theories, the Doctor shot the corpse in a manner that won't fuck up regeneration too badly but WILL persuade her captain that they need three boatloads of mercenaries to protect them from "evil looters" right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

evileeyore wrote:
"Looter" now has me wondering if the thefts were of brain-matter, memories, and the bullet wound was a measure to cover up evidence of a mind-rip.

If they can't find the brain in an Unioc I highly doubt that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 am 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

If they can't find the brain in an Unioc I highly doubt that.

That was yesterday's shaky trees. Today's trees are different!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

rwstyles wrote:
I suspect that you could recover from a Laz 1 injury with no outside help. You might lose some weight, but it would basically be an annoyance.
Binnie did it from Laz-3, so, presumably Laz-1 is fine.