The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 am 
Carnie
Carnie

I'm beginning to think Eina-Afa might just be behind the long gun attacks.

Like the original Eina-Afa. Not T'kkkuts Afa...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

That would assume that Chinook did the equivalent of unlocking a giant door in the mainframe but didn't tell anyone about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

On another note, any idea what IAFA's terrible crime was?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Prep the Arboreal Epilepsy meds cause I'ma shakin some trees!

So... Chinook has distributed herself (kinda) among all the Long Guns she's hidden. It's no real stretch to suppose Eina-Afa may have done so as well back in it's day. And then stasis gelled them.

Now we know several of the gelled ships were basically either OS wiped or the AI had degraded so far as to be practically a 'roll back to BIOS" situation. However...

Two possibilities (the second is more believable in my mind, but still very shaky):

1 - A few or more of the ships retained enough of the original Eina-Afa that when Chinook demothballed them and moved in, Eina-Afa either affected that install of her, or wiped it and 'played' along to see what was happening. It has analyzed the situation and come to the wrong conclusions...

2 - Eina-Afa predicted an eventual disintegration of it's mind and 'black-boxed' itself on several ships as a 'fail safe'. Those hidden installations have taken over their ships and are trying to kick off a Long Gun war to avoid another war with the Pa'anuri.

3 - Eina-Afa hid several ships away randomly in space with long sleep patterns. They've detected Long Gun activity from other ships in their fleet, have analyzed the take-over and have jumped to the wrong conclusions...

Of course this all presumes that Chinook didn't just fragment and have one or more of her shipselves go mad and start Long Gunning for funsies.

RJFlorida wrote:
On another note, any idea what IAFA's terrible crime was?

No. That's why I titled this thread the way I did.

But I suspect it involves killing all the Oafans. Of course... "...and I went mad and started a Long Gun War..." would really fit well with what we're seeing now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
That would assume that Chinook did the equivalent of unlocking a giant door in the mainframe but didn't tell anyone about it.

She might not even know. If T'kkkuts really did "wreck the place," Chinook might be a tad... scatter brained. That is, her brain might be scattered among the bits that still work, and some of the bits that don't might be more active than they thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

JohnSmith wrote:
She might not even know. If T'kkkuts really did "wreck the place," Chinook might be a tad... scatter brained. That is, her brain might be scattered among the bits that still work, and some of the bits that don't might be more active than they thought.

This is also very possible and quite a bit less shaky than my theories.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Hmm. Actually, as an extension to my earlier speculation: What if Chinook isn't self-modifying out of grief? Or not as extensively as everybody thinks she is? What better way to turn her against her allies than to remove the memories of how her friends ended up in harm's way in the first place? And if the old T'kkkuts AI is still hiding in that infosphere, it's basically in Chinook's brain.

Orrr another speculation: The old AI was infected with something that killed off the Oafan. It didn't rip apart its infosphere to forget - it ripped it apart trying to kill the virus dead, and by the time they were done couldn't remember what had happened to its charges. Then you get AI dispair and breakdown, and the assumption it had murdered everybody.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
Hmm. Actually, as an extension to my earlier speculation: What if Chinook isn't self-modifying out of grief? Or not as extensively as everybody thinks she is? What better way to turn her against her allies than to remove the memories of how her friends ended up in harm's way in the first place? And if the old T'kkkuts AI is still hiding in that infosphere, it's basically in Chinook's brain.

Orrr another speculation: The old AI was infected with something that killed off the Oafan. It didn't rip apart its infosphere to forget - it ripped it apart trying to kill the virus dead, and by the time they were done couldn't remember what had happened to its charges. Then you get AI dispair and breakdown, and the assumption it had murdered everybody.

I like this second one as it matches well with what was going on at the time of the Oafans extinction. We know there was a huge galactic war going on. So someone slipping a virus, or outright invasion force, into Eina-Afa is entirely possible. At the same time it leaves open the possibility for remnants of that enemy activity being around to corrupt Chinook. Which I find more plausible than some part of T'kkkuts corrupting her, as it would have no reason to hide itself for this long.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Also: Good to know Petey can still toss ships around when he feels like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Also: Good to know Petey can still toss ships around when he feels like it.

Well of course he can. He's never stopped being able to do that. He just has energy limits so some things aren't worth it.

Saving the galaxy from long gun apocalypse is probably worth just about anything though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

I like this second one as it matches well with what was going on at the time of the Oafans extinction. We know there was a huge galactic war going on. So someone slipping a virus, or outright invasion force, into Eina-Afa is entirely possible. At the same time it leaves open the possibility for remnants of that enemy activity being around to corrupt Chinook. Which I find more plausible than some part of T'kkkuts corrupting her, as it would have no reason to hide itself for this long.

If the Panuri knew where Eina-Afa was, they had ample power to crush it.

So no need to be subtle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The DAMES might have been involved, but it's just as likely as weapons as they were a faction. They seem to be the AI/manipulators for the world-forges. This war seemed to be between organics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

It's possible the evidence of a repelled invasion force (probably baryonic) from long ago is the welded shut ports and the fallen Godwall.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:59 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Stanistani wrote:
It's possible the evidence of a repelled invasion force (probably baryonic) from long ago is the welded shut ports and the fallen Godwall.

Seems unlikely. Neither of those are logical things invaders would do. "Welded shut ports" might be something defenders would try if they were desperate, but given the ships in storage it doesn't look like they would have been at that point. The godwall could be collateral damage, but anything that could cut down one of those would likely have done considerable damage to the structure, and there's no way the godwall would have been the primary target, so if it is evidence of a struggle something else MUCH tougher should have gotten worse, and there's no evidence of that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I have a hypothesis that some of Chinooks corvettes may have gone rogue, or more likely, a supressed part of Chinook herself may operate even without her realizing it.

It's not much of a hypothesis as i have nothing to show for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I thought T'kutts tore down the godwall to increase selection pressures.
Or was that just speculation?