[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - 2018-09-20 Last place we looked

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

By definition, you'll find something in the last place you look. That's when you stop looking. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

:hammer:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"All of them."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Remember the O'Benn and their "properly conducted search" - where they basically just looked for places in interstellar space with TAD fields?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:27 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:11 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

At this point, the ancient Oafans are little more than pirates, and have progressed far along the road to being the most dangerous force in the galaxy. Not because of their firepower, specifically, but because of their outlook and their willingness to take whatever they want from whoever has it based solely on their ability to do so. In a very distinct sense, they're as dangerous as the dark matter entities.

If I abandoned my house, for instance, eventually, the local authorities (in this case, the Neo Oafans) would eventually seize it. They'd then sell it at a tax sale. New people would move in. It would then be their house. If I showed up twenty or thirty years later, I wouldn't get to just waltz on in the front door and demand the current residents GTFO of my house. And yet, that's what's going on here, seemingly with no pushback.

If they aren't stopped, I can see all of the existing inhabitants of the galaxy, friend and enemy alike, aligning against them purely for self-preservation.

ETA: For those of you citing the 'they were there the whole time' version of possession, they were locked in an inaccessible cellar by their crazy brother, who never told the new owners about them. There they would have remained forever if not for the intervention of the people they're now seizing the property of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:48 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Actually if someone stole your house and forcibly kept you from coming back there you'd be on rather solid legal ground demanding it back. The laws for abandoned property are mostly for when you could have demanded it back but didn't.

More importantly, the Oafans here are the local authorities. They do not diplomatically recognize any other extant states as of yet, so from their legal perspective the Neofans are pirates. Them enforcing their position is no different from the UNS enforcing theirs. Sucks to be the one on the recieving side, but it's not really an existential threat and there's no real reason to think they won't be willing to sign and abide by treaties in the future simply because they're not obeying ones they aren't signatories to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Also, even granting that this is at base a government taking things because they think it should be theirs and have the force to back it up, that is literally how the UNS got the Breath Weapon. It is not a galaxy-spanning existential threat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:57 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:08 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm reminded of the last time that "authority by right of seniority" came up...
( Here, here and especially here. )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:50 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Also worth noting that the old AI was the legitimately appointed caretaker of all that stuff, and she gave it to them. Her actions "imprisoning" them were supported by everyone who knew what was going on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:43 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Whatever the reason was, it apparently wasn't persuasive to any of the people forcibly uploaded against their will, namely the Oafan government and its citizenry.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:25 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:29 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Don't forget that the oafans are an ancient MASSIVE and advanced race. As far as they are concerned it's possible they consider the entire galaxy to be their territory and had the resources to manage it, and these upstarts with their tin-can-hulled ships barely register as a force to be recognized, let alone an equal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Actually, if I had a "successful find", I'd keep looking, and then pretend to find it where I stopped.

That would help to keep the real location of the treasure secret.