Post subject: 2018-10-10: Bag of Winds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Seems they have a collection of Crazy Chinooks (name pending) going

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:36 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I assume that's a graphical representation of an isolated virtual machine so they can let her code run without her being able to hack them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Is Eensby the correct choice for someone with moral authority over Chinook? Or is one of the non-crazy Chinook iceboxes a better moral authority?

I get the sense that either there’s a factor we arn’t yet aware of, or we’re looking at a cultural clash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

On moral compass grounds, no, I don't think Ennesby is the best choice for deciding the best course of action for Chinook. However, it looks like the Oafa consider Ennesby to be the closest thing to family Chinook has. Whether you believe that to be the most appropriate grounds for choosing him, I don't know, but it does make sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:58 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Karfston wrote:
Is Eensby the correct choice for someone with moral authority over Chinook?

Morally? i don't see why not. Ethically, he's on the "doctor operates on own child" grounds. Legally he's probably in the clear.

Quote:
Or is one of the non-crazy Chinook iceboxes a better moral authority?

They'd have to catch one first.

Nemoricus wrote:
On moral compass grounds, no, I don't think Ennesby is the best choice for deciding the best course of action for Chinook.

Why not? Noting you said 'morally'.

Quote:
Whether you believe that to be the most appropriate grounds for choosing him, I don't know, but it does make sense to me.

Quite. Also he's taking it upon himself to clearly look out for her best interests, whether that's out of friendship or attorney considerations I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Ennesby has never struck me to be one overly concerned with morality, and so I'm sure that the Oafa could have found someone with a more refined sense of morality than him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
Ennesby has never struck me to be one overly concerned with morality, and so I'm sure that the Oafa could have found someone with a more refined sense of morality than him.

Do you remember back when they caught that "giant squid", and the second customer, the one on the receiving end, informed them that it was not a squid?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:56 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Sean wrote:
Do you remember back when they caught that "giant squid", and the second customer, the one on the receiving end, informed them that it was not a squid?

The strip where he gleefully declared that armed robbery was Kaff's S.O.P. of dealing with recalcitrant clients?

Ennesby has morals. I just presume they don't align with Nemoricus'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Sean wrote:

The strip where he gleefully declared that armed robbery was Kaff's S.O.P. of dealing with recalcitrant clients?

Ennesby has morals. I just presume they don't align with Nemoricus'.

I'll simply note that Ennesby is an attorney for a mercenary company, and his objections to what that sort of work entails comes up less frequently than, say, the Reverend.

I'm not saying that Ennesby doesn't have morals. Just that, in a large galaxy, there are likely people who spend more time pondering the nuances of morality than he does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

You know, a better question is why hasn't Ein-afa been razed by a dozen or more long gun shots from Chinook? She obviously sees them as an enemy and it's full of more enemy long guns that are continually being powered up and launching.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
You know, a better question is why hasn't Ein-afa been razed by a dozen or more long gun shots from Chinook? She obviously sees them as an enemy and it's full of more enemy long guns that are continually being powered up and launching.

When last Chinook explained her reasoning, her goal was to destroy all OTHER Long Guns in the Galaxy, in order to best protect her friends, or prevent herself from feeling the grief of losing more friends to long-gun fire.

Most of the people she still considers living friends are IN Eina-Afa. and presumably, the vast majority of the Ancient Oafan fleet launched in rapid order, all at once, under the command of their returning AI's and Computer Ghosts.

If that rapid launch occurred just after Chinook had lost control of Eina-Afa, she may have been too blinded to accurately target individual ships. Or maybe she DID target individual ships, but could only destroy a thousand targets or so before needing to refuel.

Targeting Eina-Afa itself wouldn't really help. A shielded ship in the hollow central axis is probably the safest place to be, if Eina-Afa's superstucture starts ripping itself apart, and if Eina-Afa drops TAD, most of those ships can probably jump to safety before shrapnel becomes a problem anyway. Killing Eina-Afa mostly just harms the biosphere inside, and the biosphere isn't the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:37 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:

there's a difference between "moral authority" and "Morality"

a "Moral" person is one who has a clearly defined set of morals, and who sticks to those morals even when it is arguably to their own disadvantage. This hypothetical moral person probably shares most or all of his 'moral code' with a similar group of like-minded people, and most of his moral decisions can probably be predicted accurately by anyone who is familiar with a close variation of his specific moral code, whether or not the observer abides by that particular code or not.

But "Moral" persons can only really provide "moral advice", and only to people who either follow the same basic code, or to people who have an unusual level of respect for that specific person's advice.

"Moral Authority" basically means "the right to make binding moral decisions on behalf of other people." Moral Authority comes from the knowledge that certain people are required to obey you, have delegated decisions to you, or are otherwise stuck with the decisions you make

We grant Moral Authority to family members of patients who are insane or incomunicado, on the theory that as a family member, they are the most likely persons to understand the patient's pre-existing moral code, successfully predict what moral decisions the patient would likely make if they were able to, and to prioritize the patient's own best interests over competing matters, such as convenience.

We also grant Moral Authority to Judges and Juries, on the theory that SOMEONE has to make final decisions on behalf of the State. And we grant Moral Authority to Military Officers and Police, on the theory that they're the closest duly-appointed persons available, and have a clear chain of command over subordinates or civilians.

As a "family member" with a long baseline of experience with chinook, who has shared the same hardware, and who is certified as an attorney who will place a client's interests ahead of his own, Ennesby is a good candidate to have moral authority over Insane-Chinook's medical care.

Icebox-Chinook would probably be better, but she's not available right now.