The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

To be fair, it was Hobbes. Our monocular friend is absolutely correct. I've the philosophical manuscripts that Mr. Watterson collected, but really, he was merely the collector. It's not like he put the words in their mouths...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Holy heck I was right!

I guess everyone sees a mess of worldships between galaxies and leaves due to extreme paranoia and FOMO and joins the extra-galatic civilization out there in difficult to shoot at space?

But I guess why send everything out there and not just mind clones like Petey and the Toughs plan to do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Well, the mind copies are sitting in a teensy probe without enough size or power for lifesupport.
It isn't going to be something that can sustain itself very long when your scale of travel time is millions of years.
It is also being sent there by the power of the core generator, which nobody else has ever had.

Only the fact that it will be aimed at and arrive at a worldship in a short amount of time makes it worth sending.
To actually get where the worldships are headed, via STL travel, will take a worldship.

Perhaps once it is understood where they are trying to go, then Petey can budget another (or even the first) probe to go there directly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:43 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Maybe I'm an optimist but I figured the world ship operators would take on the mind clones before the probe ran out of power. I mean, the All Star had how much memory left?

Given the other stuff we know has occurred I think it's a big assumption to say that no one has ever had a core generator before, unless I missed something. I'd believe that many civilizations have had that before.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Everyone hiding in the dark, including from each other. :/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:43 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

If these are all independently hiding worldships, then they all independently decided to hide in the same tiny slice of space.

I don't think these are hiding from each other, I think this is a single "migration" of worldships. Possibly from a different extinction cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Chainlynx wrote:
Maybe I'm an optimist but I figured the world ship operators would take on the mind clones before the probe ran out of power. I mean, the All Star had how much memory left?

Given the other stuff we know has occurred I think it's a big assumption to say that no one has ever had a core generator before, unless I missed something. I'd believe that many civilizations have had that before.

No I truly believe this is the first, at least in this galaxy. Aside from the fact that I don't think it's possible to go from being a generator back to being a natural phenomenon, if anyone else had actually managed to get one up and running there is a very high chance they would have broken the galaxy itself before their own extinction/exodus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Now there's a reason to abandon your home galaxy.

"AAAAHHHHHH!!! WE BROKE THE GALAXY!!! RUN AWAYYYYY!!!!1111!!!!1!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

We know that previous civilizations were throwing stars at each other, using DMEs as engines to forge worlds, and building galactic scale telescopes. Petey's core generator seems tame in comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

macnut wrote:
Now there's a reason to abandon your home galaxy.

"AAAAHHHHHH!!! WE BROKE THE GALAXY!!! RUN AWAYYYYY!!!!1111!!!!1!"

Well when that happens they won't really have much of a chance. Remember the alternate timeline, where the entire galaxy was annihilated due to the core "generator". I highly doubt that Petey couldn't still do that if he wanted to, nor is it likely beyond the realm of possibility for someone else to do by accident. If the core generator is something that's been done before then they are very very lucky that there is still a galaxy at all.
Chainlynx wrote:
We know that previous civilizations were throwing stars at each other, using DMEs as engines to forge worlds, and building galactic scale telescopes. Petey's core generator seems tame in comparison.

It sounds cool, but the core is many orders of magnitude more. Where they were throwing stars, given enough time Petey could throw galaxies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:46 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

sotanaht wrote:
It sounds cool, but the core is many orders of magnitude more. Where they were throwing stars, given enough time Petey could throw galaxies.
Petey nearly breaks the core generator every time he does something big. There's also the problem of distance square law meaning the core generator's excessively expensive energywise to use.

Osiri and DME powered generators are sufficiently effective to generate immense local force and power, which is something that's far more effective than the core generator for smaller scale operations. And you can build more DMEs, you can't easily build more core generators.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

The destruction of the galaxy with the core generator wasnt an accident though, it was by design. I dont think anyone living in the galaxy would have designed it that way on purpose.

Again, based on the existence of old tech that seems to be beyond Petey's capabilities (his telescope isnt even the largest ever made and it is stretching his energy budget to create), I don't see a reason to believe there's anything unique about the current core generator.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Chainlynx wrote:
The destruction of the galaxy with the core generator wasnt an accident though, it was by design. I dont think anyone living in the galaxy would have designed it that way on purpose.

Again, based on the existence of old tech that seems to be beyond Petey's capabilities (his telescope isnt even the largest ever made and it is stretching his energy budget to create), I don't see a reason to believe there's anything unique about the current core generator.

Like someone else said, building a core generator it would permanently changes the core. That strongly implies that this is the first one that has been made in the Milky Way galaxy.

You bring up that past civilizations built a telescope much larger than Petey's, with apparently less effort. But that doesn't mean they are more advanced, in terms of technology, merely that they have more resources. A few hundred thousand Dyson spheres, for example, could outdo a core generator, in terms of total output. But in terms of doing one really expensive thing, say, teleporting instantly to Andromeda, those thousand Dyson spheres aren't going to cut it.

More generally speaking, it doesn't matter if those past galactic civilizations were more advanced than the current one. And at least some were, based upon artifacts they left such as the Worldforge and the Allstar. But just because the Ancients had all these cool toys, doesn't mean they had ALL the cool toys. It's entirely possible for Petey to have outpaced the Ancients in some tech, while being completely behind in other areas. Allstars and Worldforges are not evidence of core generators.

To go even more meta, the Worldforge and the Allstar probably represented pinnacles of their respective civilization's achievement. The core generator, which has the ability to change the velocity of the entire Milky Way Galaxy, and was built specifically to pilot said galaxy around, is also a pinnacle of achievement. There is no reason to suppose that previous civilizations built one.

As for the uniqueness question, we already know Petey's core generator is not unique. They have one over in Andromeda.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Motortiki wrote:
The core generator, which has the ability to change the velocity of the entire Milky Way Galaxy, and was built specifically to pilot said galaxy around, is also a pinnacle of achievement. There is no reason to suppose that previous civilizations built one.

As for the uniqueness question, we already know Petey's core generator is not unique. They have one over in Andromeda.
I'm pretty sure the Milky way core generator was specifically built as a self-destruct device, not a motor, although it does have that capability as a side effect.

So far 50% of the known galaxies with core generators have been destroyed.

Although, I do wonder how the DaMEs were planning to prevent the BBB from consuming Andromeda after a million years or so of FTL expansion. Maybe it fizzles out when the gravitational gradient drops far enough to make FTL expensive, or maybe they verified their plans solar sail robot style.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:21 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Motortiki wrote:
The core generator, which has the ability to change the velocity of the entire Milky Way Galaxy, and was built specifically to pilot said galaxy around, is also a pinnacle of achievement. There is no reason to suppose that previous civilizations built one.

I'm pretty sure the Milky way core generator was specifically built as a self-destruct device, not a motor, although it does have that capability as a side effect.

Although, I do wonder how the DaMEs were planning to prevent the BBB from consuming Andromeda after a million years or so of FTL expansion. Maybe it fizzles out when the gravitational gradient drops far enough to make FTL expensive, or maybe they verified their plans solar sail robot style.

Neither the Milky way nor Andromeda have been destroyed yet, so if you're including time travel shenanigans it's still no higher than 33.33%

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:
Motortiki wrote:

Neither the Milky way nor Andromeda have been destroyed yet, so if you're including time travel shenanigans it's still no higher than 33.33%

It's the same galaxy. The Milky way WAS destroyed. It got better, but out of the 2 galaxies with core generators we know of, one has been destroyed already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

sotanaht wrote:
It's the same galaxy. The Milky way WAS destroyed. It got better, but out of the 2 galaxies with core generators we know of, one has been destroyed already.

Pretty sure they're all still living in the Milky Way, so it's not destroyed yet... and depending on how time travel actually works, the other one never was destroyed (or maybe it was destroyed innumerable times*).

* Either way, infinity is functionally equivalent to zero for these purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Motortiki wrote:

The Gatekeepers built the core generator as a drive, but their DME "allies" intended to sabotage it. Here's the relevant link: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-07-10

SuicideJunkie wrote:

I recall that this was explained as the hyperspace lattice that underlies the galaxy was shaken lose from the rest of the universe. Howard's hyperspace is tied to the galactic dark matter halo in an unspecified way, and is the same thing that enables teraports. So yes, the same thing that makes FTL expensive also prevented the BBB from consuming the whole universe, and is correlated with the gravitational gradient.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:32 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

With all the gravity manipulation and the sheer amounts of energy involved, I'm surprised that nobody's opened a hole in our "false" vacuum..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

0z79 wrote:
With all the gravity manipulation and the sheer amounts of energy involved, I'm surprised that nobody's opened a hole in our "false" vacuum.

But if you tear a hole in the vacuum, all the vacuum will pour out!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Actually, most vacuums spill out dust when there is a hole torn in them.
The larger the vacuum that is broken, the bigger the bang it makes and the more burning dust will be spread around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:07 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

SuicideJunkie wrote:
The larger the vacuum that is broken, the bigger the bang it makes and the more burning dust will be spread around.

The last vacuum accident I saw involved all the shed cat hair pouring out. All of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:

The last vacuum accident I saw involved all the shed cat hair pouring out. All of it.

Did you spin another cat from it?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

FreeFlier wrote:

At least 1. Possibly more. I worked hard to not collapse the waveform, so it's true number remained indeterminate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

At least 1. Possibly more. I worked hard to not collapse the waveform, so it's true number remained indeterminate.

The logic behind cat waveforms is pretty fuzzy.