The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:06 am 
that the rest of the galaxy actually CAME to this conclusion is what amazes me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:10 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Imagine it being the DNS server equivalent of the Universe is down...
heck, how WOULD the Hypernet work?

Perhaps that is how the Teraport work.....

(that is some massive server work load we are looking at, 3D at almost infinite data point and all...)

So, something that went "uh-oh" from the middle of nowhere in the universe (imagine that) is what caused thise then... hmm.... Old Habits Dies Hard? wonder what it is...... and what was that about the Mad Science? Nothing of that came up....... oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:50 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Blech, it's whatever happened at the center of the galaxy. If there's no extragalactic contact, they'd have little way of knowing how things are outside the Milky Way.

Next: WHAT can cause something like this to happen? The effects will have to propagate at superluminal speeds, if not instantaneously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:03 am 
Kizor wrote:
Next: WHAT can cause something like this to happen? The effects will have to propagate at superluminal speeds, if not instantaneously.

It's a colossal negative space wedgie of great power coming right at us at warp speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:18 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Damn my immense visual imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:40 am 
Dark matter maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:39 am 
Janitor
Janitor

skyk wrote:
It's a colossal negative space wedgie of great power coming right at us at warp speed.

Warning! This is a plot complication! Warning! This is a plot complication!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:03 am 
Hell, it's an atomic space wedgie so bad it goes right up the universe's crack and it's coming out its mouth 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:28 am 
If I'm interpreting the look on Kevyn's face correctly, it reads "Great, you want me to fix that?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:55 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

i'm thinking the dark matter creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:47 pm 
I still want to blame project Lazerus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:38 pm 
I still think we dont have enough information.

But then, We never do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:42 pm 
Gee, imagine that, and just when a device which has distorting effect on spacial metric has suddenly become ubiquitous throughout the galaxy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:39 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
Gee, imagine that, and just when a device which has distorting effect on spacial metric has suddenly become ubiquitous throughout the galaxy...

I'd be more inclined to think the teraport problems are caused by this, and not that teraports are "environmentally unfriendly" a la the TNG warp drive prior to the "speed limit". Bleh. No need for tree huggers here. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:15 pm 
We don't have enough information to know what is going on. yes, it's almost certainly related to that "Much higher than expected" power output. But we don't know how, or why. Heck, they could've been attempting a new Gravy powered annie drive, and accidently created an incredible black hole. WHich is drawing everything just fast enough to be noticed indirectly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:10 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Cyrus Blackhawk wrote:
that the rest of the galaxy actually CAME to this conclusion is what amazes me...

We don't know that they did.

All we know is that Ennesby came to that conclusion after scanning the hypernet news. Everyone else is probably blaming the teraport and its inventor.

skyk wrote:

Like I said before, it's:

http://www.nevins.ca/drip/dscn9814.html

(Dialup warning - parent page has 150 thumbnail images of the entire high-speed sequence.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:31 pm 
The F'Sherl-Ganni are up to something, perhaps? Something designed to disable the teraport and make their wormgates once again the only way to travel? Hmmm........could be.

What they may be up to, though, I don't have the foggiest. I'll just wait and see and let Howard surprise me as usual. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:42 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Judging from the font, the F'sherl-Ganni are behind this... despite the "Expl...", does anyone else think they're sabotaging the teraport intentionally?

And isn't Ennesby just a little too happy in the last frame? I guess he's really savoring the irony of the situation.

Next time my wife complains about the dishwasher, I know what to say. After all, a lot of other people are having dishwasher problems these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:05 pm 
And it's just like a Tagon to say "oh, that's all right, then." :)

Kaff took after his father, it seems. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:20 pm 
What do you call this cyber-plumber who fixes broken universes? And do you see his plumber's crack when he is fixing this wedgy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:57 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Quote:
Judging from the font, the F'sherl-Ganni are behind this... despite the "Expl...", does anyone else think they're sabotaging the teraport intentionally?

"The" F'sherl-Ganni? Or perhaps (assuming even that you're correct) it would be better to say "some" F'sherl-Ganni. What if, rather then being an attempt to deliberately disrupt the teraport and leave the the Wormgates functional, the opposite was intended - a one-time pulse (or wavefront) designed only to disrupt or "de-tune" the existing static wormholes of the Gate network, thus forcing commerce to shift to the Teraport system at least until the Gatekeepers could get to and repair them all. Of course, since they themselves consider Terporting an "abomination" that could pose them a difficult conumdrum.

The effect on the dynamic creation of wormholes by teraports could easily have been an unforseen side-effect of a much larger then predicted power surge or expl....

Now who do we know that's involved in a "secret mission" with a "more progressive Gatekeeper cabal" that's intended to effect [url=http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20040908.html]
"The future of Galatic commerce, and a quick end to the teraport wars"[/url]??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:03 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

ElGuapo7 wrote:
And it's just like a Tagon to say "oh, that's all right, then." :)

Kaff took after his father, it seems. :)

Tagon is dead. Long live Tagon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:04 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I keep returning to the question, "Would the f'sherl-ganni have any good reason to build something like a wormgate torus around the supermassive black hole at the heart of the galaxy?"

Making a one-shot device sure seems like a wasted effort, but it sure sound nice and inimical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:10 pm 
Kizor wrote:
Blech, it's whatever happened at the center of the galaxy. If there's no extragalactic contact, they'd have little way of knowing how things are outside the Milky Way.

Teraports work via wormholes - that is, connections between two points outside of each other's four-dimensional light cones. Presumably, the course of a wormhole is along a space-time metric beyond the mundane four dimensions (call it "hyperspace") - basically, a wormhole makes it so that it's a shorter distance between A and B in hyperspace than it is in four-dimensional space.

So whatever broke teraporting is almost certainly a hyperspace effect, and therefore it could well affect an area of four-dimensional space larger than the volume in which light could've traveled from the origin point.

To put all of the above in simpler terms, something that breaks teraports can move at the speed of teraport, rather than the speed of light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:33 am 
Schol-R-LEA wrote:

Citizen Schol-R-LEA, you speak of things that you don't have clearance for (RED clearance citizens shouldn't be speaking of "galaxies", as the knowlege in question is strictly Ultraviolet Clearance, eyes only knowlege...). Obviously, you are a Traitor. Please report to the nearest self-incrimination center for immediate processing and temination. And, don't forget, The Computer is your Friend.

(My, oh my, how I miss GM'ing Paranoia games... :twisted:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:26 am 
If you want paranoia on a web forum, either find an "anti-MS" board, or run a game of Mafia. I like the second option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:11 am 
stanmuffin wrote:
And isn't Ennesby just a little too happy in the last frame? I guess he's really savoring the irony of the situation.

Of course not. He's just showing his geeky side, happy to have solved a tough problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am 
Well, it's always a relief to know it's not your driving that's at fault, it's just that they moved the roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:16 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Travellar wrote:
If you want paranoia on a web forum, either find an "anti-MS" board, or run a game of Mafia. I like the second option.

Wait... Travellar is trying to get us to play mafia... to make us paranoid... so we'll bicker amongst ourselves. He's obviously mafia! Hang him!

wraithzero wrote:
Well, it's always a relief to know it's not your driving that's at fault, it's just that they moved the roads.

But with that excuse, wouldn't that mean that Ennesby is... female? *ducks* :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:02 pm 
Ooooh.... Schlock themed mafia would be fun.
I'm too lazy to GM one, though.