The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: what's your weapon?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

tryingtobewitty wrote:
Hi there! I'm here to pick up a three-step long weight. You do have one, right? The last five places I checked kept telling me it was actually somewhere else.

You mean ye olde:

Step 1 - Ask for a Three-Step Long Weight.
Step 2 - ???
Step 3 - End up somewhere else.

Yeah, I can see how you'd end up here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:48 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
You mean ye olde:

Step 1 - Ask for a Three-Step Long Weight.
Step 2 - ???
Step 3 - End up somewhere else.

Yeah, I can see how you'd end up here.

Yup. And every single time it took them hours just to tell me they didn't have it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:03 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

tryingtobewitty wrote:
Hi there! I'm here to pick up a three-step Long Weight. You do have one, right? The last five places I checked kept telling me it was actually somewhere else.

Oh, you're in the right place, but we're out of stock. We used them all up in last week's snipe hunt. :twisted:

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:42 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Black Sheep wrote:
tryingtobewitty wrote:
Hi there! I'm here to pick up a three-step Long Weight. You do have one, right? The last five places I checked kept telling me it was actually somewhere else.

Oh, you're in the right place, but we're out of stock. We used them all up in last week's snipe hunt. :twisted:

Yeah, The Armoury doesn't so much operate under the Laws of Physics as it does the Rules of Murphy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:00 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:

That the second time someone's said that... I'm beginning to wonder if everyone's just messing with me...

Nah, couldn't be. Off to... actually, this was the last place on the list. I guess I'll just have to wait here until you get a new shipment - waaait a second... 8O

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

tryingtobewitty wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

That the second time someone's said that... I'm beginning to wonder if everyone's just messing with me...

Nah, couldn't be. Off to... actually, this was the last place on the list. I guess I'll just have to wait here until you get a new shipment - waaait a second... 8O

You catch on quickly! I have just the weapon for you!

*rummages around in a closet marked "Biohazard"*

Here we go! A zombie clone of Yogi Berra preserved in a large jar of rye whiskey! Yogi was quite an athlete in his day, so we've grown this clone to his peak physical condition then infected it with an EvilCorp "Fast Zombie" virus. When the inevitable Forum Wars start, you have your very own Catcher in the Rye.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:

Here we go! A zombie clone of Yogi Berra preserved in a large jar of rye whiskey! Yogi was quite an athlete in his day, so we've grown this clone to his peak physical condition then infected it with an EvilCorp "Fast Zombie" virus. When the inevitable Forum Wars start, you have your very own Catcher in the Rye.

Oh, wow. I thought those were all destroyed after the 3020 Weapun Control Act.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:38 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

tryingtobewitty wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

We're going to have to keep an eye on this wun.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Stanistani wrote:
tryingtobewitty wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

We're going to have to keep an eye on this wun.

*drives by on the forklift with a spool of flight line, a crate of grid squares, a drum of relative bearing grease, and a shiny new PRC-E8 radio rig*
*nods in approval at the newbie and his weapon*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:45 am 
Janitor
Janitor

tryingtobewitty wrote:

I think this was overlooked because of a boo-boo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:01 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

we-a-pun?

Yea, keep an Ion (cannon) this one ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:36 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

A now heavily modified drone floats in a Quasar Cannon sits atop a 360 degree turret ring. "Well that took longer than i thought to fit the cannon onto my drone."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:10 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

NightLexic wrote:
A now heavily modified drone floats in a Quasar Cannon sits atop a 360 degree turret ring. "Well that took longer than i thought to fit the cannon onto my drone."

*pulls up in the now-empty forklift*
What the he--
Yo! Armorers! Who issued this thing?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:15 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

*squints until he can make out the RichV insignia under the haphazard mounting assembly kludges*
Ah. Carry on.
*drives off in the forklift*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:10 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Hi, long-time lurker here. I think I started reading Schlock Mercenary in 2010, give or take a year, so I've procrastinated registering for quite a while. Would it be possible to get issued a weapon to protect myself now that I am no longer nameless?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:55 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Klimpaloon wrote:
Hi, long-time lurker here. I think I started reading Schlock Mercenary in 2010, give or take a year, so I've procrastinated registering for quite a while. Would it be possible to get issued a weapon to protect myself now that I am no longer nameless?

*drives by on the forklift with an antiship torpedo warhead on the forks*
Be right back.
*keeps driving*

*returns on foot with a rectangular box, tall and thin*

It's time for another dose of supernatural assistance.
*opens the box and slides out a bottle*
As Kathryn gave to Karl to get him to talk of his wife, I give you...bourbon.
Gods and monsters, Karl cursed. For you, you summon demons. For this is Jim Beam Devil's Cut Special Reserve.
Take a drink, and a demon will be summoned to do your bidding-but you must be able to explain what you wish of the demon, AND offer him a suitable bribe: he doesn't work for free. (I suggest things that would result in valuable loot he can keep.)
The more you drink at a swig, the more powerful the demon--but I hope you can hold your liquor, because he will not be amused if you slur your words.
Dare you summon a Balrog, or only sip enough to summon an Impling at a time? It's up to you.

(My previous issuance was a Djinn-summoning dice bag with critical fumble rules enabled)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Ha, lucilky for everybody else, I'm Mormon so I won't be summoning any demons against you. Probably. Depends if demonic bourbon from the internet has any alcohol in it. Or if I can get a buddy I trust enough to not turn against me even when dead drunk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:56 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Klimpaloon wrote:
Ha, lucilky for everybody else, I'm Mormon...

Then the Devil's Cut couldn't be in safer hands. Tis a terrible weapon that can strip people of their sensibilities and render them incoherent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:16 am 
Janitor
Janitor

evileeyore wrote:
Klimpaloon wrote:
Ha, lucilky for everybody else, I'm Mormon...

Then the Devil's Cut couldn't be in safer hands. Tis a terrible weapon that can strip people of their sensibilities and render them incoherent.

Oh yes. Of course there's alcohol in it...and saying "there's alcohol in it" is like saying "napalm is a bit flammable and a little sticky".

This demonic draught retains the 90 proof cloven hooves of its real life counterpart (that's 5 percent more alcohol than standard bourbon, a fact known to catch drinkers by surprise) and flavor like the inside of a lumber mill-adding a finish of charcoal, sulphur, and copper that is a side effect of the summoning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Klimpaloon wrote:

Klimpaloon wrote:
Ha, lucilky for everybody else, I'm Mormon so I won't be summoning any demons against you. Probably. Depends if demonic bourbon from the internet has any alcohol in it. Or if I can get a buddy I trust enough to not turn against me even when dead drunk.

So you've asked for a weapon intended for personal protection, and received an offensive weapon that you probably can't bring yourself to deploy...

Unfortunately I'm not in the position to issue you a weapon, as I've been diligently planning the launch of Technojunk Industries. The weapon market seems to be well serviced by IshidanCo, MesCorp and EvilE, but there's a distinct opening in the personal protection field that we intend to cover.

So without further ado; I announce the soft launch of Technojunk Industries! We specialize in the finest battle tested armor and protective clothing. All items are certified functional and were NOT the previous owners direct cause of death!

As anonymity seems to be part of your existence, I offer you the Security Blanket. In times of extreme danger or stress, simply drape this article over your head and any sophont with a sense of humor will believe you to be 'invisible' while laughing themselves comatose. Do note that like most forms of invisibility, enemies find it very unfunny when used offensively. Learn from the mistake of the previous owner...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:09 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Hey folks, for your information, I'm storing a muzzleloading headcannon here on this shelf, to be issued to the first willing recruit. It says on the box that a recoil-driven implantation mechanism is included, whatever that means.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:04 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Recoil-driven implan... Where did you find such an insidious device? Was that a MESCorp R&D reject? Someone trying to use an explosion for more than pretty lights and concussive dismemberment?

Well that probably explains the helmetless armor I occasionally see at surplus auctions....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:55 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I'm sure that R&D will be happy to have a troubleshooter troubleshoot it for functionality.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
I'm sure that R&D will be happy to have a troubleshooter troubleshoot it for functionality.

QA had three separate individuals test it out before shipping, all survived implantation and early testing. The final testing involved the removal of the headcannon via the automatic mechanisms and proved, should we say, slightly messy.

Don't worry, all three test pilots survived to lead perfectly productive lives after we deployed them back to various stages of the 20th and 21st centuries. Test subject Col. R Mugabe is a successful leader of a country, 1st Lt K West is apparently happy as a celebrity rapper and Sgt S Segal proved you can have a career in motion pictures with only one facial expression.

All in all, a successful product launched.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Ishidan wrote:
NightLexic wrote:

*pulls up in the now-empty forklift*
What the he--
Yo! Armorers! Who issued this thing?

"Oh the Cannon was issued, i just fitted it on my drone."
The drone chirps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Hi there, I've been lurking around here for quite a while now and decided it was as good a time as any to join. If I may, I'd like to receive something with a good ironic twist, and as impractical as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:17 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sibericus wrote:
Hi there, I've been lurking around here for quite a while now and decided it was as good a time as any to join. If I may, I'd like to receive something with a good ironic twist, and as impractical as possible.

Ironic and impractical? Hmm ... sounds like a tall order, but I think I have just the thing.

*** rummages in storage locker marked "Melee Weapons" ***

There it is--right behind the relative bearing grease. Behold the mighty Axe of Cupriphagus!

Cupriphagus was a Dwarven hero of the Age of War on planet Greyhawk-1191 .. I recon he was active about forty years ago. While exploring the Temple of Elemental Evil with some friends he fell afoul of a horrible wasting disease when he was attacked by a mummy. Didn't make it, poor fellow, but his axe survived.

His axe has a curious quality. It's a Dwarven one-handed axe, capable of being used in melee or thrown as a missile. Unfortunately, for every attack, instead of rolling a die, you flip a coin: on heads, you get a critical success, on tails a critical failure. And if you get that critical failure, it's going to hit one of your companions in the back for 2X maximum damage--happens every time.

Made of the finest Dwarven construction, the iron of the axe-head comes from ... hey, wait a minute.

*** smacks the axe on the counter, where it clunks dully. It sounds like plastic ***

Crap. This isn't the actual Axe of Cupriphagus, it's one of those cheap copies. You can always tell the fakes, they have "Mattel" stamped on the handle.

Sorry, Sibericus. Someone will be by to issue you a weapon shortly, but I want to find whoever it was who put a fake weapon in the storage locker. I need to axe them why they did that, and my odds of getting an answer are only 50/50. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:40 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Sibericus wrote:

Ironic and impractical? Hmm ... sounds like a tall order, but I think I have just the thing.

*** rummages in storage locker marked "Melee Weapons" ***

There it is--right behind the relative bearing grease. Behold the mighty Axe of Cupriphagus!

Cupriphagus was a Dwarven hero of the Age of War on planet Greyhawk-1191 .. I recon he was active about forty years ago. While exploring the Temple of Elemental Evil with some friends he fell afoul of a horrible wasting disease when he was attacked by a mummy. Didn't make it, poor fellow, but his axe survived.

His axe has a curious quality. It's a Dwarven one-handed axe, capable of being used in melee or thrown as a missile. Unfortunately, for every attack, instead of rolling a die, you flip a coin: on heads, you get a critical success, on tails a critical failure. And if you get that critical failure, it's going to hit one of your companions in the back for 2X maximum damage--happens every time.

Made of the finest Dwarven construction, the iron of the axe-head comes from ... hey, wait a minute.

*** smacks the axe on the counter, where it clunks dully. It sounds like plastic ***

Crap. This isn't the actual Axe of Cupriphagus, it's one of those cheap copies. You can always tell the fakes, they have "Mattel" stamped on the handle.

Sorry, Sibericus. Someone will be by to issue you a weapon shortly, but I want to find whoever it was who put a fake weapon in the storage locker. I need to axe them why they did that, and my odds of getting an answer are only 50/50. Wish me luck!

Will it work with double-headed coins, or will one side become the defacto tails without any way to tell which is which? I've literally been burned by something similar to this before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Sibericus wrote:

Looks like the first armorer withdrew due to finding his gear locker raided and replaced with duplicates, so that will not be your weapon after all.

Mmm. I got it. To the forge!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:54 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

*returns from the build shop*
*Places a circlet of black, cold, dense metal on the table. Its shape resembles a running spiral, with two gems inset -one each accenting the eyebrows.*

Aahh. No ironic twist like twisted iron.
In addition to its natural anti-Fae properties, these gems have been imbued with short range gravimetric distortion projectors--gravy guns in our parlance-that will render any target up to a medium tank into a chaotically warped mass of metal and flesh in seconds.

No, the problem is not recoil, or sidelobe effect. It's activation range. You asked for a weapon that is impractial, not outright suicidal.

Both gems must contact the target for the effect to activate, and the circlet must be on your head at the time.

Therefore, you must make physical contact on the target with your head. Whether you do it like Ender at the enemy's gate or like Zidane is up to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next