The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:12 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Could one teraport a chunk of antimatter as a means of attacking through a TAD field? Antimatter still packs the same punch if it comes out the other end as mush, dust, or vapor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:27 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

It doesn't work that way.

TADs collapse the wormholes before they finish forming, so any blam would be on the sending side.
Unless you saturate the defenses with sheer volume and/or power (ala Petey), of course.

Also, don't even bother trying to use a teraport into a TAD as a contact weapon. A conventional weapon is faster, simpler and more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:23 am 
anyone remember when elf was in charge, she teraported through interdiction (they let her go, I am betting peteys doing since he wanted the extradiction hearing, and he did put the popgei in orbit)... anyways when kevin chewed her out he said two things of interest.
1. The explosion would not be significant.
2. It would cause them to be splattered across 5 dimensions (not our typical 3).

However, this reminds me that petey has found a way to brute force a teraport through TAD, it just takes lots and lots of energy. Since antimatter is so efficient in terms of destructive power, teraporting pure antimatter (instead of whole missles with gravitics and the like) might a lot more energy efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:35 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

The interdiction AI decided to let them go...
Although Petey would certainly be capable of hacking it, I doubt he would have prepared that ahead of time, and I doubt he would have noticed what was going on in time. Although he can watch anywhere, he can't pay attention everywhere.

The going theory was the Police hostages combined with the distress signal and the fact that they were trying to leave the area. The fact that there was a battleplate right there to clean up any monkey business probably helped too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:03 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Did anyone catch that episode of Stargate Atlantis where an enemy attack drone was carrying a stargate?

The gate was linked to a corresponding gate on an enemy world where a huge energy weapon was fired into it so that this little drone had the punch of a city-sized gun with unlimited power reserves as long as the gate could be maintained.

If a tiny breacher torpedo were equipped with a little terraport cage or wormgate inside it, the same trick could be done in the Schlockverse.

If a single one made it through you could gut an enemy ship instantly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:44 pm 
Intern
Intern

I wonder what'd happen if you fed one stargate through another stargate? Set the coordinates properly on them both and have the universe pull itself into its own hole? ;)

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:58 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Hmm, you would basically be telling subspace to go f*** itself. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm 
bizzybody wrote:
I wonder what'd happen if you fed one stargate through another stargate? Set the coordinates properly on them both and have the universe pull itself into its own hole? ;)

Assuming they are all the same size, you cant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

bizzybody wrote:

That's called the Bonehead Maneuver. Uh, oops, wrong TV show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:23 am 
RogueNine wrote:
bizzybody wrote:

Assuming they are all the same size, you cant.

Try using a minigate :).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:17 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Huh, I must have missed that episode.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 pm 
bizzybody wrote:

Why bother when you can just memorize the gate address for the black hole. Also as I understand it there isn't any scaling or anything between stargates. Bigger ones can just handle bigger stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 pm 
Actually what I'd wonder about terraporting anti-matter is if there isn't some way to intentionally break the decode phase on the other side to reconstruct the energy as anti-hydrogen instead of whatever object you sent through.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:38 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Sockmonkey wrote:
If a tiny breacher torpedo were equipped with a little terraport cage or wormgate inside it, the same trick could be done in the Schlockverse.

If a single one made it through you could gut an enemy ship instantly.

Wormgate maybe, but you can't shoot out of a teraport cage. It has to be contiguous.

Although, I suppose if it's a matter of building cheap drones with onboard cages so you only need to use one TC warhead per target, instead of one per shot, that would work. Depends whether the cage costs more than the bomb it's replacing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:21 pm 
nullcast wrote:
bizzybody wrote:

Why bother when you can just memorize the gate address for the black hole. Also as I understand it there isn't any scaling or anything between stargates. Bigger ones can just handle bigger stuff.

When going from minigate to normalgate, that makes sense. But.. what happens when going from normalgate to minigate, or from supergate to normalgate? (presuming of course, that the supergate is even capable of intra-galactic travel)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 am 
zippthorne wrote:
When going from minigate to normalgate, that makes sense. But.. what happens when going from normalgate to minigate, or from supergate to normalgate? (presuming of course, that the supergate is even capable of intra-galactic travel)

Presumably the dialer refuses to engage. And when you use your own custom program to override the dialer whatever goes through the larger gate just get's chucked into the buffer if it's too big. In some cases Stargate is remarkably good at plugging holes in it's own pseudoscience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:52 am 
The thing stargate does well is its either "magic" or something genuinely plausible, and best of all if they did something last week to blow up 400 baddies, its the first thing they try this week when the same situation presents itself ;->.
They never mention how the gate itself actually opens the wormhole or how it does so without spagettifcation and massive gravity waves eating everything nearby.
but they do say wormhole and the stuff they say about that aspect is somewhat close to how its sposed to work.

To me the stargate seems more like a super long range star trek type transporter with a funky "beam out" rather than walking through a wormhole.

If it was a real wormhole type effect you would expect to see the other side when the gate opened rather than the cool water effect, and have bi directional travel rather than the single direction that appears to exist.

But who cares really, Its good enough to pass my BS detector and tells a good story. Star Trek could do the same, but they seem to have a cumpulsive need to come up with random crap technobabble solutions, when using some slightly different words they could have a plausible and most importantly consistent technical solution to their plot (holes ;->)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:51 pm 
Intern
Intern

Valen wrote:
If it was a real wormhole type effect you would expect to see the other side when the gate opened rather than the cool water effect, and have bi directional travel rather than the single direction that appears to exist.

I've always wondered about the entire "single directional" thing. I mean, if it's unidirectional, how come they can send the probe robot through and expect to get anything useful to come back, and why doesn't the room immediately start depressurizing the moment the gate is opened? If it's unidirectional, it would function as Maxwell's Demon, and result in all the air in the room blowing out. A gate opened out in the open would start sucking off the planet's atmosphere, and a gate opened at the bottom of the ocean would drain the ocean.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 am 
Fishman wrote:
Valen wrote:

I've always wondered about the entire "single directional" thing. I mean, if it's unidirectional, how come they can send the probe robot through and expect to get anything useful to come back, and why doesn't the room immediately start depressurizing the moment the gate is opened? If it's unidirectional, it would function as Maxwell's Demon, and result in all the air in the room blowing out. A gate opened out in the open would start sucking off the planet's atmosphere, and a gate opened at the bottom of the ocean would drain the ocean.

If I recall correctly, the gate had a built-in mechanism to prevent air/water from flowing through (think pressure barrier). Basically, the sensors on the gate would determine the ambient pressure and create its own counter-pressure which would prevent flow. This could even act as a possible explanation for the ripple effect from touching it.

There obviously is also some sort of rematerialization business, as you can stick your arm through, and pull it back intact.

There's some talk about a buffer which won't transmit you until you're entirely inside, so it would seem the interior operative structure of the thing would be that it transmits information, not matter, and is capable of rematerializing matter.

Just some surface thoughts, brought together by piecing bits and pieces I remember from the show.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
I've always wondered about the entire "single directional" thing. I mean, if it's unidirectional, how come they can send the probe robot through and expect to get anything useful to come back

The 'gate is transparent to radio waves. Stuff in the electromagnetic spectrum can go through in either direction; it's only matter that has to make a one-way trip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:20 pm 
[EDIT]: I didn't read earlier posts properly before posting - this comment was irrelevant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Valen wrote:
The thing stargate does well is its either "magic" or something genuinely plausible, and best of all if they did something last week to blow up 400 baddies, its the first thing they try this week when the same situation presents itself ;->.

Yep, and when they established a "rule" like the thirty-eight minute limit they stuck with it or came up with a darn good reason why it didn't apply in a particular case.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 am 
taltamir wrote:
anyone remember when elf was in charge, she teraported through interdiction (they let her go, I am betting peteys doing since he wanted the extradiction hearing, and he did put the popgei in orbit)... anyways when kevin chewed her out he said two things of interest.
1. The explosion would not be significant.
2. It would cause them to be splattered across 5 dimensions (not our typical 3).

However, this reminds me that petey has found a way to brute force a teraport through TAD, it just takes lots and lots of energy. Since antimatter is so efficient in terms of destructive power, teraporting pure antimatter (instead of whole missles with gravitics and the like) might a lot more energy efficient.

Antimatter is only 50% efficient in the schlock universe: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20081128.html (since I know nothing about antimatter in RL I refuse to just say universe). Plus I HIGHLY doubt that antimatter is cheap, metal however is, so is the energy needed to accelerate it to relativistic speeds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:15 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Annie-plants only produce a gravitational field while active. Apparently a powered-down plant stores it's fuel as something other than matter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:02 pm 
strange_person wrote:
Annie-plants only produce a gravitational field while active. Apparently a powered-down plant stores it's fuel as something other than matter.

Why would it? Annie plants use some of the energy produced to make gravity. Annie plants being off just mean that they can't make gravity anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:46 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Neutronium, in sufficient quantity, will 'make gravity' all by itself. Powered-down annie plants do not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:20 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Explaining this would require explaining how artificial gravity works in the Schlockiverser.

However, it does imply something: annie plants must have some kind of failsafe, maybe inherent in their construction, that lets them generate enough gravity internally to maintain neutronium containment. (Annie plants are not nearly as massive as a small neutron star, which is how massive they'd need to be to keep neutronium compressed without some kind of artificial containment.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:36 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

When an annie-plant is fully fuelled up and active, what percentage of it's internal volume is neutronium?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm 
I believe nothing is known about annie plants except for their output/size ratio(even that is relative and approximate) they are a black box.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm 
Intern
Intern

I once asked Howard how Annie Plants work. He said he didn't know. I have a theory, based on the assumption that Proton Decay is permissable. Theoretically, a Proton can decay into three Photons and a Positron. Similarly, a Neutron can decay into nothing but energy. While this has yet to be observed, it's not forbidden by anything except the Law of Conservation of Boson Number, which is believed to just be an outgrowth of Quark Conservation. There is a way, conserving Quarks, to convert a Proton to energy, if a powerful enough Boson interacts with the Proton or Neutron as a catalyst. I have whimsically called this the Gav Boson. Real physicists have postulated other theoretical Bosons. Howard has stated that the process only works with Neutronium.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next