The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:45 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

is going to be harder then our favorite Sgt thinks.
Even if he see's it - will he be able to compensate for the rotational effects? The sniper is using highly specialized gear to be able to hit them. :fadein:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:25 am 
I've got a feeling with the gun Schlock is using, "close" might be more than good enough. Also with that ROF he doesn't need to have a first shot hit, he just needs to walk the rounds on target.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
Yes, but causing that much collateral damage may reflect ...unfavourably upon the Toughs. They are here on a humanitarian (sophontarian?) mission, after all.

Plus that journalist has all that footage of Schlock to use as ammunition against them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:57 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Psystorm wrote:
Yes, but causing that much collateral damage may reflect ...unfavourably upon the Toughs. They are here on a humanitarian (sophontarian?) mission, after all.

Plus that journalist has all that footage of Schlock to use as ammunition against them.

A pity that "Schlock sneaks up on and eats the sniper whole" isn't an option :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:46 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sneaking no, but he might be able to run him down. Schlock is a lot faster then he looks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:15 pm 
And today's strip addresses the question from yesterday.. I'm not sure if Howard is psychic, just that good, or we're predictable in what questions we ask.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:41 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

The problem is that Schlock is using a smart (but not smart enough) sight, when he should be using smart ammunition. I wonder in Sclockoverse tech just how small one can make a laser-guided projectile? I'd think for space mercenaries, with the recurrent problem of compensating for differing planetary gravity, not to mention the possibility/probability of combat under various forms of artificail gravity including but not limited to the rotational variety, such a thing would be standard issue. Of course, maybe it is for single shot sniper weapons (like our unseen friend is using) but doesn't suit Schlock's taste in collateral damage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:51 pm 
Intern
Intern

I'm more curious as to why the sniper is STILL shooting from the same position after it is abundantly clear that he has failed to have an effect. Only a dumb sniper shoots from the same position twice, especially when your target ISN'T DYING. The sniper can surely see that Schlock is largely unaffected and his motion indicates that he is looking for the sniper, so why is the sniper not relocating?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:57 pm 
Ironically, I think the Plasma Cannon would have had LESS collateral damage. :schlock:

The sniper probably believes they are out of range of Schlock's weapon and if he moves Schlock will defiantly see him.

As for still shooting, the last shot was close to Schlock's Eye, (s)he may be trying to inconvenience the Sgt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:44 am 
ChowGuy wrote:
The problem is that Schlock is using a smart (but not smart enough) sight, when he should be using smart ammunition. I wonder in Sclockoverse tech just how small one can make a laser-guided projectile? I'd think for space mercenaries, with the recurrent problem of compensating for differing planetary gravity, not to mention the possibility/probability of combat under various forms of artificail gravity including but not limited to the rotational variety, such a thing would be standard issue. Of course, maybe it is for single shot sniper weapons (like our unseen friend is using) but doesn't suit Schlock's taste in collateral damage.

The biggest problem with that is not the guidance, it's containing onboard propellant and thrusters which can adjust the trajectory of the projectile. A smart sight you only have to pay for once. Smart bullets you have to pay for every time, and you'll be able to fit less in the same space.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:47 am 
Fishman wrote:
I'm more curious as to why the sniper is STILL shooting from the same position after it is abundantly clear that he has failed to have an effect. Only a dumb sniper shoots from the same position twice [...]

I think you've got it. :wink:

HTKsos wrote:
[...] As for still shooting, the last shot was close to Schlock's Eye, (s)he may be trying to inconvenience the Sgt.

Also, sophonts without brains are probably vanishingly rare... the sniper may believe that (s)he just hasn't found Schlock's yet.

It's still dumb to hang around to apply trial and error, especially when Schlock is looking so unconcerned and returning fire, but I think our sniper is probably not too bright.

Or, here's a thought, the sniper may be an autonomous drone or remote-control rig with no concern for self-preservation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Well, we did see one panel featuring a finger on a trigger, but that doesn't necessarily rule out an android sniper controlled by remote, like the Dayson shipwright bots...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

My first thought was "What? Tagon's buying guns that can't even compensate for Coriolis effects on the bullets? That's really dumb, in exactly the area in which Tagon isn't very dumb."

Though, on reflection, I guess in a world with cheap, ubiquitous gravy, the reaction to rotational artificial gravity is likely to be "Dude! What do you think this is, the 21st Century? Are you Amish or something?"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:50 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Why is Schlock looking unhappy about the need to "walk" the target?
That's a tried-and-trusted method of long-range targeting, going all the way back to 19th-century battleship duels, if not before.
And you get to fire your weapon lots and lots!
Its not like the Sgt will be paying for the ammo...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:49 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

He might not be paying for the ammo, but he does have a limited supply, and 500 round per minute is the low end of the handcannon's rate of fire.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:12 am 
Running out of ammo always makes one sad. Especially if the job is not completed yet.
Running out of ammo in the midst of a fire fight is a time tested method for getting oneself dead.

However, we have still, as yet, only seen glimpses of the level of violence Sgt. Schlock is capable of in unarmed combat. I'm wondering, if we gave him an e-tool , could he take down a tank?

And as stated before, Schlock is a lot faster than he has any business being.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:16 am 
With a 500 meter+ head start, Schlock just won't be fast enough to catch anyone. Also, even if the sight is trying to correct for corealis effects, one has to keep in mind that in the habitat, not only is everything completely backwards from what the sight may expect (after all, they're inside, not outside the spin), but the relatively puny diameter will grossly exagerate all of the effects.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

ackehece wrote:
is going to be harder then our favorite Sgt thinks.
Even if he see's it - will he be able to compensate for the rotational effects? The sniper is using highly specialized gear to be able to hit them. :fadein:

well... guess 08/17/08 answers my question. (welcome back story narrator - thought shlock had killed you in a friendly fire incident....)
He has a couple of cases of ammo so this should be fun

If the sniper is smart he will notice the walking fire and move away
but as previous stated the sniper does not seem to acting smart

Amateur Sniper - never send one (even well equiped) to do a professionals job.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:24 pm 
I wouldn't say Schlock is a creature without a brain. Schlock is arguably made up of entirely brain, minus the eyeballs. The problem is that most sophonts aren't designed with brains anywhere near as massively redundant as Schlock's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

That makes me wonder just how smart Schlock is, because he's never seemed dumb, maybe simple in some ways, but he always gets the results he wants. Being all brain Scholck could be insanely smart, but due to his personality you just never really see it, because he doesn't need to use it. He has made massive amounts of money on stocks, enough to buy the company even. He simply enjoys solving problems with violence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:06 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

And the narrator has begun giving Schlock advice again. I thought those days were over. I love it! It's funny how someone just mentioned how the strip used to be more fourth-wall breaking, and then this stuff came up. Howard, are you really writing the buffer that far ahead? No, wait, I get it...you've got the FORUM on a buffer too! You are some kind of webcomicking wizard!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:46 pm 
Malevolent God of the Schlockiverse

Fourth-wall gags only work well if they're done irregularly, and if there is other humorous material to support them. I try never to "resort" to them in situations where I have no punchline (though I've done it before.) Instead I use them when they're better (and funnier) than all the alternatives.

Without going into an extensive deconstruction of this strip and it's punchline, let me just say that I knew "walk my shots" was last-panel dialog at least 110 days in advance of the strip airing. Framing the rest of the strip around that dialog was kind of painstaking, and I was frustrated to find that breaking the fourth wall really was the best way to support the joke. I guess that's because I feel like every time I break the fourth wall I'm required to do it again in short order, and then restricted from doing it again for months at a time. It's like adding a cymbal crash in a piece of music. You can't have just one, but you can't have too many, either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:16 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Back in the storyline where Schlock obtained his new eyes we learned that Schlock was "born" with adult knowledge but a child's personality, so he may mature in time, but... Ok, he probably won't, but you see what I mean.
As for intelligence, it depends on how much of him is for data storage VS how much is for processing power.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Howard Tayler wrote:
It's like adding a cymbal crash in a piece of music. You can't have just one, but you can't have too many, either.

Heh. Or a kettledrum stroke. And just like Hayden's Surprise Symphony, we love it when the KABOOM hits.

You know old Symphony 94-quiet leadup. You've got your woodwinds playing slow, your violins and double basses creating an atmosphere of European aristrocratic blue-bloodedness. You've got your brasses putting out mellow notes. And you've got one smirking kettledrum player sitting in the back.

The entire first movement goes by, the kettledrum player is just standing there with his arms crossed...you pretty much forget he's there. Second movement begins, and you're sorta just drifting off to this masterful composition--ahh, it's repeating, even quieter than the first time, it's--
KABOOM!

Your eyes snap open and flash to the kettledrum player...his arms are crossed again. The same melody is repeating from the strings, do you dare take your eyes off of him?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 am 
Intern
Intern

It's always fun to see the characters learn from an experience they've never had. :)

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:59 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Howard is always harder on himself than we will ever be, but that's why his strip is still great after all these years. Can't change it, and wouldn't if I could.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:44 pm 
What's complicating matters more is the fact that schlock's gun has, for whatever reason, a really low muzzle velocity. 610 m/s is right at 2000FPS, which is between 400FPS and 1,200 FPS slower than most assault rifle rounds today go. if his gun had a higher MV, he'd have to correct less for drop and everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:20 pm 
Intern
Intern

The low MV comes from the short barrels, can't do much to get around that, with that size projectile, no matter what the propulsion method.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:23 pm 
Malevolent God of the Schlockiverse

bizzybody wrote:
The low MV comes from the short barrels, can't do much to get around that, with that size projectile, no matter what the propulsion method.

This weapon is for taking a hostile, charging crowd (read: riot) and turning it into chutney. Big rounds offer stopping power, and the low ROF (when set that way) is perfect for hosing down the entire front row in one sweep... and then passing back across the crowd to drop the next row while not expending too much ammunition in the process.

It's not a NICE weapon. It can be loaded with non-lethal ammo, but Schlock didn't grab any of that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:17 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

HTKsos wrote:
[...]
Also, sophonts without brains are probably vanishingly rare... the sniper may believe that (s)he just hasn't found Schlock's yet.

Fie on you! It's never been said - or implied - that Schlock lacks a brain.
Rather, being descended from organic information storage units, it's been at least implied Amorph brains and nervous systems are the exact same thing - their brain runs throughout the entire body. And with holographic memory, it's likely that any disruption caused to whatever information was in the areas the bullet goes through is minor at best - no doubt, the whole memory itself is copied over several times in multiple areas and the Amorph immune system has ways and means of restoring mental damage caused by objects moving through them at speed.