The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Microwave Chupaquesos
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:20 pm 
I tried posting this over on "chupaqueso.com" but the comment table comes up with "Comment table has crashed, please repair".

I've been a Schlocker for quite a while, and started making Chupaquesos the old fashioned way a while back. But with two kids and a non-cooking wife, the teflon pans always take a beating (Honey, why is my good teflon pan in the dishwasher?), and it was hard to get the initial flip without careful manipulation using a silicone spatula to dig around the edges first and loosen the cheese up from the myriad scratches through the teflon coating.

And that's when it occured to me, that Silicone was the answer. Four dollars later, wal-mart had served up some silicone baking sheets about 10x13, and I tried making some chupaquesos in the oven with the broiler.

Not good.

By the time the cheese was bubbling, I was having severe reservations about the state of the silicone baking mat, as it was starting to bend and hint that complete bubbling failure was only seconds away. The chupaquesos were a melted mess.

But then, inspiration struck, and I took the sheet with a fresh batch of cheese and put it onto a microwave safe plate, with just enough depression in the middle to assure that the chupaqueso stayed round and centered. 2 minutes in the microwave made for a nice crunchy edge with just a hint of brown. Three minutes makes for a near perfect shell. A quick handful of fillings (in this case mozarella straight) and then I used the silicone sheet itself to fold over the shell.

As long as I was quick (the cheese hardens rapidly as it cools), I could pop out a perfect chupaqueso every time. The worst problem was a slight sticking to the baking sheet on the first chupaqueso (before a layer of cheese grease builds up.) But you can easily slide that first one off with the help of a butter knife or a spatula.

I thought that you'd be interested in a possible answer to the "microwave problem".