The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

The Genuine Imitation Ovalkwik that Shep went out to buy (and was thus bushwacked by Professor Pau's thugs) finally made its return. With that, her account is finally squared with Schlock. Seriously, who else other than Amorph actually eat this stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:11 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Yep, she did the one thing that guaranteed she'd become Schlock's best friend-feed him his favorite comfort food. Schlock may even end up wanting to have a baby with her after this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Said it in the other thread first, but it belongs here, so I'll copy this over:

Kathryn wins. Game over.

Ok, so there are still challenges to overcome, but even though I should have seen this coming, I didn't, and I never expected her to manage to get more than grudging cooperation out of Schlock. I hereby officially declare her to have been the most effective person in this whole charlie foxtrot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:12 am 
Poster child for the IGNORE list

BigFire wrote:
The Genuine Imitation Ovalkwik that Shep went out to buy (and was thus bushwacked by Professor Pau's thugs) finally made its return. With that, her account is finally squared with Schlock. Seriously, who else other than Amorph actually eat this stuff?

Other species might do (although maybe not in those quantities).

And if you're ever in a fight involving thermonuclear weapons, shoot first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
Well, at least some sophonts-of-terran-stock must eat it, since a UNS commissary stocked quite a bit of it, before our favourite amorph arrived, and the UNS is primarily a SoTS organisation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Ovalkwik and his plasgun, in a conscience-free target-rich environment no less? Looks like Christmas came early for Sargent Schlock this year. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Target rich, and on fire. Don't forget the fire.

Schlock is happy because he gets to satisfy two points of his moral compass at once - make friends with it and eat it. Lucky for her the "it" being eaten is the G.I.O.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 am 
Intern
Intern

Psystorm wrote:
Well, at least some sophonts-of-terran-stock must eat it, since a UNS commissary stocked quite a bit of it, before our favourite amorph arrived, and the UNS is primarily a SoTS organisation.
I imagine most Earthlings would use it as a beverage mix component rather than directly eating it straight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:12 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Fishman wrote:
I imagine most Earthlings would use it as a beverage mix component rather than directly eating it straight.

Even [mini]-Schlock has been known to take it mixed in liquid. For certain values of "liquid."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 am 
Fishman wrote:
Psystorm wrote:

I dunno, the Australian equivalent of this substance (Milo) is wonderful when eaten by the spoonful straight from the can.

Not that I'd ever do that of course . . that'd be gross . . .

*munch munch*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
Johno wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Psystorm wrote:

I dunno, the Australian equivalent of this substance (Milo) is wonderful when eaten by the spoonful straight from the can.

*munch munch*

Lucky bugger, I can't have it (along with a lot of other stuff, including chocolate) due to food intolerances.

Could be worse, my little brother's coeliac's - among many other things, including Milo, he can't have Vegemite. He's an Australian. Who comes up in full-body hives and massive stomach cramps. When he has. Vegemite!

We didn't even think about Vegemite when we figured out his coeliac's - took him off all other sources of gluten he was eating and wondered why he was still having contaminations. We thought it was from crumbs in margarine, or something. Took us forever to realise Vegemite has gluten in it, despite the fact it's made from yeast, just because it's so omnipresent. I mean, allergic to Vegemite? Who would think of that, right?

He can't have sandwiches unless they're made from gluten-free bread that I worked out is 50c a (very small) slice, can't have burgers, pizza, a lot of sausages, some other processed meats, damper, anything with gluten in it.

We both have a lot of intolerances that are shared, but we each can have things the other can't. Challenge for Mum, coming up with meals that we can both have. I think he's worse off, because come on, no sandwiches? but he thinks I'm worse off because come on, no chocolate? And we both can't have most lollies, due to artificial colours. At least we're not like our grandfather though, who goes into anaphylactic shock from artificial colour 102, which is in many foods, toothpaste, antibacterial handwash (that was fun, when he was having surgery and the doctors had washed their hands in something with 102 in it. They shove their hands in him, his heart and lungs stop). Hell, they put 102, which is artificial yellow, into a lot of vanilla ice cream (jsut about all I can have) to make it look more 'natural'!

Sorry for the rant.

tl;dr version: no Milo for me, no Vegemite or Milo for my little brother. Woe is us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:56 pm 
Intern
Intern

So...is there anything that ISN'T poisonous to your species? Your people seem rather death-prone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Fishman wrote:
So...is there anything that ISN'T poisonous to your species? Your people seem rather death-prone.

Obviously they're Nejjet spies in disguise!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 am 
Intern
Intern

BigFire wrote:

No; everybody else mixes it with milk of the appropriate color.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Quote:
...the Australian equivalent of this substance (Milo) is wonderful...

Wait, wait - Milo is Australian!?!? Wow, all this time I thought it was an import, like almost everything else in this country.

*checks Wikipedia*

Oh wow, I have got to try this out:
Quote:
Also very popular is the "Magic Milo" which involves adding Milo to a small amount of milk with sugar and whipping it to increase the amount of air in the milk, thereby doubling it in size. Then one adds small amounts of hot water and milk in layers stirring each new layer vigorously to maintain its lightness. A final layer of whipped cream is then topped with extra Milo or chocolate sprinkles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 am 

Johno wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Psystorm wrote:

*munch munch*

Huh, I thought Bournvita was the insert-country-here's equivalent of Milo.

And if you're ever in a fight involving thermonuclear weapons, shoot first.