The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Time for a Para ex machina?

Schlock appears to think he has a card or two to play, but I don't think he can be prepared for what Max has in mind for Tarfeather.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

lnthomp wrote:
Time for a Para ex machina?

Schlock appears to think he has a card or two to play, but I don't think he can be prepared for what Max has in mind for Tarfeather.

Did Schlock toss Dr. Bunning or she did a backward leap herself?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

the comic wrote:
Both leaps came too late to do any good.

Howard, it's rather unsettling when you post lines like that. Especially when they're the last line in a particular update.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:29 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Random Wanderer wrote:
the comic wrote:
Both leaps came too late to do any good.

Howard, it's rather unsettling when you post lines like that. Especially when they're the last line in a particular update.

I think that's the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:47 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

BigFire wrote:
Did Schlock toss Dr. Bunning or she did a backward leap herself?

I think Schlock pushed/tossed her back, but it's kind of hard to tell what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Am I the only one really, really hoping that Major Murtaugh survives this encounter and goes on to become a recurring character?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:46 am 
Intern
Intern

She sort of has to. Any explosion of that magnitude would definitely kill Schlock, and the one character we know absolutely must live on is Schlock. Therefore who must survive as a condition of Schlock surviving will also survive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:06 pm 
Malevolent God of the Schlockiverse

Fishman wrote:
She sort of has to. Any explosion of that magnitude would definitely kill Schlock, and the one character we know absolutely must live on is Schlock. Therefore who must survive as a condition of Schlock surviving will also survive.

Next up, everybody falls into an actual meat-grinder. Schlock lives. Your logic dooms everybody else. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:

Don't challenge the author. Seriously, that's just begging for trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 pm 
Intern
Intern

Howard Tayler wrote:
Next up, everybody falls into an actual meat-grinder. Schlock lives. Your logic dooms everybody else. :-)
A meat grinder isn't a situation where survival is linked to Schlock's. Schlock, obviously, can survive an actual meat grinder just fine, so if everyone is dropped into a meat grinder, Schlock obviously lives. Giant explosions, on the other hand, everyone is trapped in the same place as Schlock, with no individual exit. Schlock will be killed just as dead as everyone else, so therefore, everyone must live, because Schlock must live.

Of course, the kicker here is that you could still maim some or all of them, including Schlock, which has happened before.

Random Wanderer wrote:
Don't challenge the author. Seriously, that's just begging for trouble.
Ah, but trouble for whom? It is not like I personally have anything to lose from this, even if the author adds me to the comic and kills me. I mean, what's he going to do, kill the entire comic? I thought he was doing this fulltime now. Trouble isn't so bad. It'll be entertaining and probably funny. I call this a win/win situation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:43 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Trouble isn't so bad. It'll be entertaining and probably funny. I call this a win/win situation.

Did you just weasel-word your way around saying "What's the worst thing that could happen?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:20 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It looks like Tarfeather/Tarmeggeddon is interpreting Max's order to "answer to me and only to me" very literally. The lack of verbal response is what tipped Major Murtaugh off that something was wrong.

Max should have said "obey me and only me", and then ordered the robot to pretend everything was normal until it was time to go "BOOM!".

People who's reflexive solution to a problem is "blow something up and kill people" have a tendency to not think things out in detail before acting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:11 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

FrankNorman wrote:
It looks like Tarfeather/Tarmeggeddon is interpreting Max's order to "answer to me and only to me" very literally. The lack of verbal response is what tipped Major Murtaugh off that something was wrong.

Max should have said "obey me and only me", and then ordered the robot to pretend everything was normal until it was time to go "BOOM!".

People who's reflexive solution to a problem is "blow something up and kill people" have a tendency to not think things out in detail before acting.
There still would have been the question of what happened to Max, who Tarfeather was supposed to have in custody. I think Tarfeather answering would have been at least as quick a give-away as Tarfeather's silence was.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

rwald wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Trouble isn't so bad. It'll be entertaining and probably funny. I call this a win/win situation.

Did you just weasel-word your way around saying "What's the worst thing that could happen?"

Hey, you just now invoked Murphy, not me. Those weasel-words are there for our protection.

Sorry, kinda had to :angel:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

One reason why Tarfeather/Tarmageddon hasn't blown yet is that Max has not only not reach the safe distance, but he hasn't take over the ship and raise its shield. That means Max might have more subversion tools on him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:00 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

BigFire wrote:
One reason why Tarfeather/Tarmageddon hasn't blown yet is that Max has not only not reach the safe distance, but he hasn't take over the ship and raise its shield. That means Max might have more subversion tools on him.

More nanny-spit is unlikely to help him the way it did with Tarfeather. Tarball and the as-yet-unnamed tarbot were already on guard somewhat, and they're going to be on full alert now that Max has tried to murder Ventura - somehow I doubt he can spit hard enough to breach unified shields, and less direct subversion methods are quite probably locked out given who just suborned the tarbots.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:31 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Proper tools...

Kevyn has them: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-05-31
Kevyn is not present... but that's got nothing to do with saying that Max has or lacks other tools that may be properly applied here.
//Torrenal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:15 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Leicontis wrote:
BigFire wrote:

More nanny-spit is unlikely to help him the way it did with Tarfeather. Tarball and the as-yet-unnamed tarbot were already on guard somewhat, and they're going to be on full alert now that Max has tried to murder Ventura - somehow I doubt he can spit hard enough to breach unified shields, and less direct subversion methods are quite probably locked out given who just suborned the tarbots.

Is it possible that Ms. Ventura is aware of the suborned Tarfeather?

The more I read everyone's comments, the more I think that possibility exists.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:43 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Quote:
Is it possible that Ms. Ventura is aware of the suborned Tarfeather?

It's certainly possible and probably depends on the communication between the Tar-bots. If she tried to propagate her bot infection via a presumed bot-network, she might have become aware that one bot didn't answer.