I am not sure if that little bit is regrowth or just a part that wasn't ripped all the way off. I am also wondering if we are witnessing what happens to people who take RED #1 instead of RED #2 (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2011-10-27
As many people here have suspect that The CAN that DEI uses to convert Gaav into other people looks suspiciously like tailored adaptation of Project Lazarus, I'll throw up the following hypothesis:
1. When DEI was created specifically to tackle the problem of converting Gaavs into someone else, they attracted the attention of Lazarus crew.
2. Lazarus crew, using backdoor channel supplied DEI with the know how of building The CAN, but with buried subroutine to compromised some (if not all) of the former Gaavs. The CAN is probably build using Lazarus nannie.
3. As Binnie's accident proves, once life termination event occurred, Lazarus nannie kicks in and tries to rebuild the body.
4. We're still not sure what triggering mechanism Lazarus crew have of compromising DEI's ex-Gaavs.
5. We're long pass the point of having Dr. Bunning look at DEI's nannie, and bringing in Petey to see what's going on.
Or, more likely, the UNS, when Gavcorp refused to sell Oisri started looking for a way in. When Gavcorp ordered The Can, the UNS, using its regulatory power over such devices, sent an "inspector" who added Laz 'R' Us nannies in place of the standard nannies. Short of dissecting the nannies on a molecular level and analyzing some very complex programming, it would be virtually impossible to tell them from regular nannies.
It's kind of like the Hercule Poirot story where a witness was murdered during the day, and all of the police watching the house swore that nobody had approached the house all day. It turned out that the murderer dressed as a postman. In England at that time, the Post was delivered five times a day, and people were so used to seeing the Postman that they didn't see him.