Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Curious about something:

Just how much destructive force does a detonating annie plant
the size which powers, say, the one on Tunguska actually have?

If the annie plant were deliberately constructed in a way where
the entire release of neutronium was focused in a single
direction and no other, say along the longitudinal axis of ship,
and assuming the ship were constructed to not shake itself
apart from said annie plant, could that wipe out an entire
fleet of lesser ships?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Substantially less than if you made a total conversion bomb out of the annie plant. That would be nasty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Free neutrons decay into electrons and antineutrinos, with a half-life of about ten minutes. There'd be a fair amount of energy, but nowhere near conversion energies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
Intern
Intern

derrickthewhite wrote:
Substantially less than if you made a total conversion bomb out of the annie plant. That would be nasty.

Interesting thought here: atomic explosions can be shaped (cf the Orion drive). Can conversion explosions also be shaped? What are the products of a TC explosion, exactly? I believe it's just EM energy, which means that yes, in theory, a sufficiently strong magnetic bottle could direct it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:05 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

The products of matter/antimatter annihilation are gamma rays, x-rays and about 50% neutrinos. Presumably TC would have the same products, and presumably you could make a shaped-charge conversion bomb. It'd be pretty nasty, but you'd have to be relatively close to the bomb.

More interesting would be a conversion bomb pumped gamma laser. Now, that be nasty.

During the cold war, Teller (I think) came up with plans for an h-bomb pumped X-laser. Never got past the drawing board I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

rleggett wrote:

During the cold war, Teller (I think) came up with plans for an h-bomb pumped X-laser. Never got past the drawing board I think.

I remember that.

It is a cool idea , but expensive to test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excalibur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

You really want to sure of what's behind your target with X-lasers, I'm sure. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:15 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

rleggett wrote:
You really want to sure of what's behind your target with X-lasers, I'm sure. :)
Targeting the fleshy humans on board with enough X-rays to cook them all and fry electronics would be plenty, even if it's vast amounts of extra energy - you'd be able to take the ship a lot easier, for example.

However, this question sounds like "if you set a nuclear power plant to explode could you weaponise it?" Sure, but it's easier to use something built for the job, like, a nuke.

Gravitics, for example, an unified shielding: You can use the power output of neutronium destruction to make gravy strikes at the enemy or defend from such attacks. The Phica annie plant exploding wasn't enough to take down the Banger's ride, for example.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
rleggett wrote:
Targeting the fleshy humans on board with enough X-rays to cook them all and fry electronics would be plenty, even if it's vast amounts of extra energy - you'd be able to take the ship a lot easier, for example.

However, this question sounds like "if you set a nuclear power plant to explode could you weaponise it?" Sure, but it's easier to use something built for the job, like, a nuke.

Gravitics, for example, an unified shielding: You can use the power output of neutronium destruction to make gravy strikes at the enemy or defend from such attacks. The Phica annie plant exploding wasn't enough to take down the Banger's ride, for example.

Yeah, but the Phica annie plant explosion was omnidirectional. Since it seems so easy to breach an annie plant, even with a "rifle" (with precise aim), it should be possible to build a system out of that. Now as to what substance could contain the explosion so as to shape it properly, I have no idea, probably some type of scrith is needed (gatekeeper building material?).

Pumping an X-ray laser with a TC conversion sounds like a good idea for situations where gravy is unavailable. The design could already be on Sol system's drawing boards for in-system defense. Or, maybe the Kevyn discovers it on his own and names it the "Tagon Cannon", since Kevyn would realize he'd be lynched by the public if he called the the "Andreyasn Cannon". So, that could probably make Kaff about as infamous as Desslock, another guy who had a space cannon named after him :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

eternalsquire wrote:
Yeah, but the Phica annie plant explosion was omnidirectional.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-06-15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:11 am 
Intern
Intern

Whitehawke wrote:
Can conversion explosions also be shaped? What are the products of a TC explosion, exactly? I believe it's just EM energy, which means that yes, in theory, a sufficiently strong magnetic bottle could direct it.

You mean like this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:46 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

moo