The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:41 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Okay, now it makes way too much sense for Emm's sleeper to "just by coincidence" be a local security officer. Sneaky and nasty, just what we've come to expect from our (least) favourite loose cannon. And does anyone else see a hint of Kowalski in her expression in that last panel? Maybe the K-gestalt download's already started.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:50 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

SpottedKitty wrote:
Maybe the K-gestalt download's already started.

Headache was the first symptom that Gav MallCop suffered. Followed immediately by his old brain leaking out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:52 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"She" isn't waking up from that nap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:14 pm 
Intern
Intern

Agreed. She's going to sleep as Libretti, but will wake up as Kowalski. Seems she's got a rather decent boss as well - too bad he most likely won't survive this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:24 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

...This displeases me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:12 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

and (this instance of) Kowalski has just made his first kill.
:(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:48 am 
Carnie
Carnie

StClair wrote:
and (this instance of) Kowalski has just made his first kill.
:(

So he's at 1:1 (presumed this Kowalski will die), so he needs to kill again to make Kowalski Prime happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:12 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Reading back through the archives, I feel so naive that I thought Xinchub and Shufgar were evil. Xinchub just seems self-serving and petty now. He absolutely has a mean streak, but it seemed different somehow.

Shufgar... It seems like for everything else, Shufgar was at least fast with his killing. Yeah he killed Pronto in cold blood, but it was still more under "occupational hazard" than anything /evil/. Emm and Kowalski seem so much worse to me. From Emm complaining about the time the process takes, to Kowalski being more upset that dying is so inconvenient... I'm going to find it satisfying if they ever get comeuppance. They were all so worried about the Laz R Us nannies becoming public knowledge, but even limited public or government reaction to redhack is going to hit just as hard and twice as ugly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:34 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Darkops wrote:
Reading back through the archives, I feel so naive that I thought Xinchub and Shufgar were evil.

Chubby-chins is/was evil. He delighted in sadism.

Shufgar wasn't evil, he was just morally flexible. Okay, he was at least no more evil than the Toughs, in that he at least didn't seem to delight in murder or torture.

Quote:
They were all so worried about the Laz R Us nannies becoming public knowledge, but even limited public or government reaction to redhack is going to hit just as hard and twice as ugly.

The worry about Laz'R'Us is that 1) other races wold get nervous and possibly start wars with Earthlings/the UNS over it and 2) they didn't think humans could handle it (there are legitimate concerns with limited memory storage space).

REDHack is just fucking evil. No, it's capital 'E' Evil.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:21 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Shufgar seemed plenty happy enough to shoot/maim the Toughs whom he believed had regenerative soldier boosts, just to see them get up so he could do it again. He also tore out the eye of one of his subordinates as a punishment for failure.

As for Emm, I see her mostly as twice the Xinchub in a third of the package. She's doing what she does to further the interests of the UNS, but her methods are increasingly cut-throat, and costly. More concerned with the objective before her than any degree of sacrifice (on someone else's behalf) she'd have to make to accomplish it.

She also seems to be operating on a smaller scale (no Gatekeepers or galactic war), but for her personally the stakes are higher (UNS Civil War that could likely shatter the power base and influence of the UNS as a whole).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:24 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Loyal wrote:
He also tore out the eye of one of his subordinates as a punishment for failure.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yeah, definitely evil then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Loyal wrote:
Shufgar seemed plenty happy enough to shoot/maim the Toughs whom he believed had regenerative soldier boosts, just to see them get up so he could do it again. He also tore out the eye of one of his subordinates as a punishment for failure.

First, Shufgar had no quarrel with them except that they tried to kill him first, and continued to try to kill him for the rest of the story.

Second, shooting and maiming people isn't nearly so horrifying if you have good reason to believe they'll heal from all their injuries, and come back from the dead. It's more like inflicting a very painful haircut.

Pronto didn't heal from his injuries, but Shufgar fully believed he would (and had evidence supporting that hypothesis) . . . and Shufgar pretty much needed Pronto dead anyway. There was no way out of that situation (that the Toughs started) that ended with both Pronto and Shufgar alive.

The eyeball thing was excessive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:25 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

djublonskopf wrote:
Second, shooting and maiming people isn't nearly so horrifying if you have good reason to believe they'll heal from all their injuries, and come back from the dead. It's more like inflicting a very painful haircut.
Are we making the argument that inflicting horrible, painful injuries with the knowledge that it won't (or shouldn't) be fatal is a non-horrifying or non-evil act? Because given the context in which it actually happened, what you're describing is quite literally torture.

Quote:
Pronto didn't heal from his injuries, but Shufgar fully believed he would (and had evidence supporting that hypothesis) . . . and Shufgar pretty much needed Pronto dead anyway. There was no way out of that situation (that the Toughs started) that ended with both Pronto and Shufgar alive.

That he wanted the mercs dead is not what made him evil. They're enemy combatants, and that's just how it goes. What made him evil is his intent and methodology. He did not merely want them dead, he wanted them dead, writhing, and in anguish.

"We want to kill each of you in a unique, horrible way while the others look on."
"Since you are their commanding officer, I shall let you decide who I shoot first."
"You need to know that I don't want you to die." [...] "And after I heal myself?" "We will keep experimenting [shooting you] until you are dead."