The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chiseled Abs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 pm 
Intern
Intern

This can have quite a different meaning when applied to a Cyborg (or as Haban II prefers, "Person").

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

Post subject: Re: Chiseled Abs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:16 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Yeah, they're more likely molded or formed than actually chiseled.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:59 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Actually I thought the only prior Cyber part was an AI, thus they would be real Abs unless he got more "upgrades"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Yeah, it's a quite-real human body belonging to the now-late Doyt Gyo. When he got shot in the head, they grew him a new brain and Haban moved in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:20 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Can he still spit explosives?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I wouldn't count on it.
The UNS got hold of him, and that ability was part of the Lazarus research he was originally hired to suppress...by killing the researcher, (the Toughs original doctor.)
So there is a really good chance the UNS downgraded him back to near-baseline before releasing him with his shiny new memories.

stonefish wrote:
Can he still spit explosives?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:11 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
Thing is, that ability saved his life once, and has been mentioned again and again since. If he was allowed to keep any memory of it, they'd have to come up with a reason he doesn't have it any more - or, if he was not allowed to retain those memories, a plausible reason this him, out of all the others gate-cloned and killed, survived to break open the Wormgate conspiracy and turn the galaxy upside-down.

The Toughs were, as far as we can tell, only majorly modified in a few portions of their memory - the events leading up to their capture, including their brainstorming session, and their memories of the Shufgar mission and Pronto's world. I think that those who were on the payroll at the time were even allowed to remember Xinchub 'let slip' that he and Colonel Jaksmouth had come up the ranks together and were both immune to mindripping.

While Breya and Haban may have been kept for longer or shorter onboard the Morokweng, and they definitely had all memory of collaborating with Petey over the Xinchub heist removed, it's likely the watchwords for the memory-alteration were "softly, gently, minimally, plausibly". In which case leaving holes like "how did Haban survive and mostly escape the Gatekeepers" would be frowned upon.

In other news, I reread Longshoreman of the Apocalypse earlier this week, and it struck me anew how suspicious it was that almost all of Tagon's non-human roster retired after the Laz'r'us memory alterations. While a plausible reason was given at the time, I thought at the time and still think that the timing is suss. Correlation is not causation, and call me paranoid if you want, but when half the company buggers off just after they've all been mindraped, and one of the only humans that leaves goes straight to Haven Hive, where another part of the Laz'r'us cell is working and he can be easily monitored...

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:52 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Psystorm wrote:
In other news, I reread Longshoreman of the Apocalypse earlier this week, and it struck me anew how suspicious it was that almost all of Tagon's non-human roster retired after the Laz'r'us memory alterations. While a plausible reason was given at the time, I thought at the time and still think that the timing is suss. Correlation is not causation, and call me paranoid if you want, but when half the company buggers off just after they've all been mindraped, and one of the only humans that leaves goes straight to Haven Hive, where another part of the Laz'r'us cell is working and he can be easily monitored...

Yeah... that is pretty suspicious.

We better keep an eye on this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:57 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Speaking of memories, wasn't it odd how that when the Doc had her memories adjusted they gave her medical knowledge outside the standard stuff, namely the hitting the knee to access data bit.

On one hand the reprogrammers may just have assumed she knew this, but since they were going into her head to adjust her memories they should have been able to ascertain her level of medical knowledge.

Unless maybe they planned to use her again down the road and wanted that know how kept close to the top.

Makes you wonder what other medical tidbits they may have left laying around in her head.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:12 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Or, perhaps she knew about the knee thing, and continued to know about the knee thing. That particular piece of knowledge remained, but was acquired under slightly modified circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:18 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Possible, but she never used it prior to that situation, otherwise someone in the Toughs would have experienced it during a physical or a patching up sometime and would not have had to have experimented to check.
Remember the knee hit causes the patient to see the scrolling text and given the sheer amount of beating they tend to take and time spent getting patched up it seems if the Doc had access to this information before the Rinse & Spin cycle on her brain, she would have been using it already and thus the Toughs would have likewise known of the procedure at least being used on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:57 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Sendaz wrote:
Speaking of memories, wasn't it odd how that when the Doc had her memories adjusted they gave her medical knowledge outside the standard stuff, namely the hitting the knee to access data bit.

On one hand the reprogrammers may just have assumed she knew this, but since they were going into her head to adjust her memories they should have been able to ascertain her level of medical knowledge.

Unless maybe they planned to use her again down the road and wanted that know how kept close to the top.

Makes you wonder what other medical tidbits they may have left laying around in her head.

Yeah, that one was definitely on my list of "unused Chekhov's Guns". While it's arguable that the purpose of that scene was just to set up Kath finding out about the Toughs' UNS entanglements and to further the "Bunnigus isn't really very good at this leading people thing" storyline, it could have been done in a way which doesn't leave the unanswered question of "why did they include that in her false memories?".