The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I'm guessing that Schlock is stuck because he doesn't want to let go of his eyeball.

Otherwise I can't think of any rational explanation for why he's stuck. We've seen him stretch himself completely flat on Barsoom, and travel through shower pipes on Tunguska. He can also be spattered into small pieces with no ill-effect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:43 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I don't think this was covered in the plasma cannon safety manual.

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

He should just let go of the eyeball. He has a whole tree full of fresh ones.
Later he can leave the eyeball there as an integrated aiming device useful only to amorphs if he wants.
Not that he's ever needed such before. Schlock with iron sights is Very accurate.
That is, assuming an amorph eyeball, not attached to a tree and not currently in use by an amorph, has a good long shelf life.

Edit, ohh. upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

GameFreak4321 wrote:

While it does seem kinda 'user obvious' to me... maybe some one should tell them so they can amend the book. After all, amorphs * are probably the most prolific users of the older models.

* And grognards. We all know the grognard motto: "everything was better when I was a kid and Napoleon was in charge".

Knofbath wrote:
I'm guessing that Schlock is stuck because he doesn't want to let go of his eyeball.

Otherwise I can't think of any rational explanation for why he's stuck. We've seen him stretch himself completely flat on Barsoom, and travel through shower pipes on Tunguska. He can also be spattered into small pieces with no ill-effect.

Maybe the magnetic containment bottle has him "glued" in? But that shouldn't be active... ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sean wrote:
Later he can leave the eyeball there as an integrated aiming device useful only to amorphs if he wants

I imagine it'd last for precisely one firing.

However, that does lead to a new idea. Mount a super powerful scope/camera on a picatinny-esque rail and build it with an amorph interface like tailor did with the exo suit. Then he can snipe from the hip, with his eyes closed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
GameFreak4321 wrote:

While it does seem kinda 'user obvious' to me... maybe some one should tell them so they can amend the book.

And you still get microwave ovens with "do not use to dry pets".

You can always bet on stupid.

I bet that could be worked into a maxim.

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:05 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:

Knofbath wrote:

Maybe the magnetic containment bottle has him "glued" in? But that shouldn't be active... ?

That sounds like it to me, that or whatever system sucks in air to fuse is trying to pull him in. Then again, he was pulled through it to a hole on the back, not a reaction chamber... 32'nd century fanless air cooling system? Plus I can't imagine Schlock is paticularly magnetic, would have to be some strooooong magnetic fields if he was just mildly para(dia?)magnetic. Whatever is doing it, he is clearly being pulled in and resisting, hence the visible 'streach marks', he's only squishy and flexible when he isn't flexing.

As for why, exactly, the plasgun is on, maybe its either malfunctioning(hence the inspection) or it uses a 'pilot light' system. I've thought of this before, fusion takes a lot of energy to start, and sure a plasgun can make power to spare while a'thooming away, but it doesn't exactly have anywhere to get power to start once you decide to stop spewing superheated death. So, since you can, infact, choose to stop spewing superheated death, and then start again at your disgression, then the plasgun either has some really good rechargeable batteries, a tiny annie plant hidden somewhere, or it actually doesn't ever turn off, it just runs at a lower, not 'spewing superheated death' capacity.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:11 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Knofbath wrote:

"Try not to blink" :wink:

You seem to be presuming that:

A) Schlock can simply "let go" of his eyes, that it's only some sort of adhesive contact that he can simply withdraw and it will drop free. But we've never seen him do that. We've only ever seen him pluck it free. He may not be able to just "let go" of it.

B) That the eye itself is not jammed or otherwise caught in a gasket or other part of the mechanism.

Quote:
Otherwise I can't think of any rational explanation for why he's stuck. We've seen him stretch himself completely flat on Barsoom, and travel through shower pipes on Tunguska.

We've seen him stretch his body fairly thin but his eye are not made of the same malleable stuff. Have we seen him stretch himself so thin that he can simply "flow through" a small gap? See between his eye and whatever casing/seating is in that hole?

There are a lot of responses here that remind me of the "Oh, I can fix that. No need to call for help" attitude that tends to put people in the Emergency Room. Schlock may have been doing something stupid, but at least he's smart enough to go to the Doctor first before making it worse.

Also. it wouldn't be very funny otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:43 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Also something may have shifted once he got his eye in there and he's worried that jerking it free could damage it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 am 
Intern
Intern

Yep, looking down (or up) the barrel of a gun is never a good idea, especially if it's still attached to the rest of the gun. Schlock's got off lightly so far though; I halfway expected this comic to show the plasgun going off and vaporizing a good chunk of his mass. If all he ends up losing from this misadventure is one eye, he'll have gotten off lucky.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:36 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

My favorite bit about this comic:

Schlock reveals he's looked into his own plasgun before... just never this far. Like it's a common occur to stare into the barrel of his own ominous hummmmmm...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:19 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Well, it does have this nice glow of doom deep inside of the barrel. At least in working condition...

Proud owner of Lil' Bertha, the massive sniper cannon atop of the armory. Her range is measured in parsecs and she has automatic gyrostabilization, quantum beam tunneling technology and FTL target acquisition probes.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:18 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Schlock, might I suggest you push your eye a bit further and reach around and grab it with your hand, that way you can simply move the connections the eye has to the hand-portion of your biomass and thus remove the eye from the gun on that side, and then extract the rest of yourself from the barrel without incident.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:27 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Ah, so he got stuck in a racoon/monkey trap! Silly monkey!

Random Wanderer wrote:
Schlock, might I suggest you push your eye a bit further and reach around and grab it with your hand, that way you can simply move the connections the eye has to the hand-portion of your biomass and thus remove the eye from the gun on that side, and then extract the rest of yourself from the barrel without incident.

His eye might be just slightly larger than the hole it's looking out of.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:06 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

ChowGuy wrote:
You seem to be presuming that:

A) Schlock can simply "let go" of his eyes, that it's only some sort of adhesive contact that he can simply withdraw and it will drop free. But we've never seen him do that. We've only ever seen him pluck it free. He may not be able to just "let go" of it.

Yes, he did it at least four times: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2000-10-08, http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2001-05-29 (this one is implied), http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2008-02-22 and another implied http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2008-02-23

So he can disconnect his eyeball at will.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:56 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I don't think you guys quite understand the full implications of what we're seeing here.

Schlock is bereft of the use of his plasgun. Not only that, he's jammed down the bore, so if someone were to pull the trigger, he'd be literal toast.

Schlock.
Is.
Vulnerable.

Cunningly Brutal is hitting someone really hard.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:38 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

targetdrone 13 wrote:
I don't think you guys quite understand the full implications of what we're seeing here.

Schlock is bereft of the use of his plasgun. Not only that, he's jammed down the bore, so if someone were to pull the trigger, he'd be literal toast.

Schlock.
Is.
Vulnerable.

Assuming that it was in a fireable state before he decided to stick his eye in and will still fire with amorph gunking up the innards. Given that it has at least one obvious component removed from it and Schlock is generally not dumb enough to stick important parts of himself into a functional weapon without a damn good reason I'm pretty sure that it can't be fired until it is reassembled.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:09 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

But, the most important question, did the plasgun pass the inspection test? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:38 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

targetdrone 13 wrote:

Schlock.
Is.
Vulnerable.

Maybe. I mean, setting something like that up is pretty much the only reason I can think of why he hasn't simply reached up with a "hand", transferred the eye to the finger or palm thereof, and retracted the previous extension.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:40 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

StClair wrote:
Maybe. I mean, setting something like that up is pretty much the only reason I can think of why he hasn't simply reached up with a "hand", transferred the eye to the finger or palm thereof, and retracted the previous extension.

This would also be a good way to look at the problem from the inside by clearing his body out first.

Though I think Schlock should be able to feel the pointy thing already without being able to see it, seeing as he doesn't really have hands as such in the first place. I'm also wondering why he can't just "flex" to move the pointy thing. Third method is to assume the eyeball is squishy and just pop it out through the hole, he can protect it from bursting by wrapping his eyelids around it so it just deforms a bit.

I assume we're in "Rule of Funny" territory though, so anything goes.

Edit: And per 2014-05-03, the doctor pops the eye, problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 pm 
Intern
Intern

GameFreak4321 wrote:

According to my Harbrace College Handbook (31st Century edition), it is syntactically incorrect to use "Plasma Cannon" and "safety" in the same sentence.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:56 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

richv wrote:
According to my Harbrace College Handbook (31st Century edition), it is syntactically incorrect to use "Plasma Cannon" and "safety" in the same sentence.

Is that the first edition? I thought there was a footnote about mandatory inclusion of the word "not" for compliance with health and bodily integrity regulations.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:32 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

SpottedKitty wrote:
Is that the first edition? I thought there was a footnote about mandatory inclusion of the word "not" for compliance with health and bodily integrity regulations.

Well, according to this footnote the BH-209i does have a switch that can be "flipped from safe to decidedly unsafe" but given that Tagon claims none of the Toughs weapons have safeties, I'm not sure what you would you'd call it.

Edit: DOH! That was the BH-209m (which was decidedly unsafe around alcohol even when not primed) , and Tagon hadn't made his claims yet. Still...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:10 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

ChowGuy wrote:
Well, according to this footnote the BH-209i does have a switch that can be "flipped from safe to decidedly unsafe" but given that Tagon claims none of the Toughs weapons have safeties, I'm not sure what you would you'd call it.

I'm pretty sure that "switch" is also known as a "trigger".

Which coincidentally, all most many a number of weapons possess.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:57 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Actually, looking at the latest strip, I just realized there's another, thoroughly meta reason to get the eye stuck:
So that Howard can establish for readers coming into this new book the existence of the eye trees and how they work.
He's spent three days and three whole strips on that. Let's hope it was worth it.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:08 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

StClair wrote:
Actually, looking at the latest strip, I just realized there's another, thoroughly meta reason to get the eye stuck:
So that Howard can establish for readers coming into this new book the existence of the eye trees and how they work.
He's spent three days and three whole strips on that. Let's hope it was worth it.

So with arc called Delegates and Delegation along with the eye trees being touched on, somewhere in this will come a situation where one can say with a straight face 'The Eyes have It' :P

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:44 am 
Janitor
Janitor

evileeyore wrote:
I'm pretty sure that "switch" is also known as a "trigger".

Which coincidentally, all most many a number of weapons possess.

So you didn't actually before to read the footnote then?

Quote:
Powered by a Striggs & Bratton 2-stroke microfusion plant, the BH-209 need never be recharged, provided it is allowed to "breathe" periodically. When primed and flipped from "safe" to "decidedly unsafe," the BH-209 cycles local atmospheric gases into the plant, producing a noticeable acoustic effect. While this hum is stealth-defeating, many law-enforcement agents have reported that it serves as an excellent deterrent.

In an apparent reference to the first ever appearance of the "audible hum" being used in threat mode. Note that this is the same as the "thooom" produced in the "plasmorific death" mode.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:01 am 
Carnie
Carnie

ChowGuy wrote:
So you didn't actually before to read the footnote then?

I still stand by my statement, trigger = safety, and that there are weapons that do not have triggers (and thus are always 'unsafe').

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Hey. I have hired a professional Palos Verdes home inspector service to inspect my newly bought house. I am wondering if same person can inspect my weapons too? Please help.