The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Bunnigus's snark does address a Fridge Logic point: Since the information they're implanting is purely factual, and they will implant it as an indirect rather than a direct experience, why hack the brain in the first place instead of using the sensory API like normal? After all, unlike Emm they're not trying to remove memories, just add to them, which is what we're already doing naturally.

It doesn't even need to be a book. Surely even the most basic AI could synthesize live-action movies, which are a lot more immersive and convincing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

An immediate thought is that its an impractically large amount of information, spending a week watching movies is not very practical for someone with a job. Also it would lack the flagging of the false memories

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:12 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Also just because I read in a book how a portion of my memory was false it wouldn't have the same emotional impact as when I remember it, but now it's in black and white instead of the vividly remembered color.

Or in my case something else, since my memories are basically already in grey scale.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:48 am 
Intern
Intern

Arancaytar wrote:
Bunnigus's snark does address a Fridge Logic point: Since the information they're implanting is purely factual, and they will implant it as an indirect rather than a direct experience, why hack the brain in the first place instead of using the sensory API like normal? After all, unlike Emm they're not trying to remove memories, just add to them, which is what we're already doing naturally.

It doesn't even need to be a book. Surely even the most basic AI could synthesize live-action movies, which are a lot more immersive and convincing.

At least it shows that some things haven't changed in 1,000 years.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arancaytar wrote:

I suggest putting the missing information in comic book form. Then it's quite likely you could actually con people into paying money to read the story, even if most of the story were available for free on the web.

Who should they get as an artist? Maybe the same guy who did the Stroh Munitions coloring book I have around here somewhere, IIRC that featured Schlock.

Howard something or other I think his name is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:40 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Doug Lampert wrote:
Who should they get as an artist? Maybe the same guy who did the Stroh Munitions coloring book I have around here somewhere, IIRC that featured Schlock.

Good man, though he does have a tendency to exaggerate certain female anatomical bits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:23 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Doug Lampert wrote:

Good man, though he does have a tendency to exaggerate certain female anatomical bits.

You say that as though it were a problem.

Dozens of artists who've drawn Power Girl at one time or another would disagree. Not to mention the readers who presumably would also disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Doug Lampert wrote:
You say that as though it were a problem.

It's not to my taste.

As for Power Girl for a very, very, very brief time that book was well written. Then the character went back to being dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:05 pm 
Poster child for the IGNORE list
Poster child for the IGNORE list

evileeyore wrote:
Doug Lampert wrote:

You mean like hair? http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-04-23

Speaking of, I've got a cookie here says Elf has forgotten she's got nanotic hair.

And if you're ever in a fight involving thermonuclear weapons, shoot first.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:55 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

mesmorino wrote:
Speaking of, I've got a cookie here says Elf has forgotten she's got nanotic hair.

If Kevyn's Laz'r'us nannies had to kill off his soldier boost nannies to fix him, I bet the ones Admiral Em wiped her memories with killed her nanotic hair nannies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

pinkmeanie wrote:
If Kevyn's Laz'r'us nannies had to kill off his soldier boost nannies to fix him, I bet the ones Admiral Em wiped her memories with killed her nanotic hair nannies.
The fact that she has nanotic hair was public knowledge (it was on live TV). Emm's memory hack seems to throughout to miss something like that. If they had to kill the nanotic hair, they either gave her a memory of losing it, or gave her new nanotic hair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:23 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kotonaru wrote:
pinkmeanie wrote:
The fact that she has nanotic hair was public knowledge (it was on live TV). Emm's memory hack seems to throughout to miss something like that. If they had to kill the nanotic hair, they either gave her a memory of losing it, or gave her new nanotic hair.

Or maybe they used Elf to launch a new nanotic hair product, and now it's so commonplace no one bothers to mention it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:22 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
If so, I wonder if one of the Laz'r'us cells of UNS Intel 'patched' that hair product.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Doesn't matter. She's been under Petey's "knife", she'll be clean.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:53 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
I meant for the one in general usage by the populace, if it is.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yeah, that would be a good vector for distributing Laz'r'us nannies. But everything so far has implied that Laz'r'us isn't ready for mass distribution.