[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - time to break out the SPF1500 w/ Lead Full Spectrum coverage

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:00 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

So guessing a small nuke or someone is refocusing the skyband.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:07 am 
Intern
Intern

Well, of course it's the microsats. Somebody is planning to give everybody a third-degree suntan.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:01 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Advance towards the sound of Chekov's gun!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:09 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Well, whether by nuke, antimatter or conversion bomb, or (most likely) the microsat array, Dom Atlantis (or a part of it anyway) has clearly been lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree. Only with more heat.

Somehow I doubt the Toughs will be the target, or be anywhere near said target this time, which means the Neoafa and Breya are probably safe as well. The only questions are who is the target and who's targeting them?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
Pro'ly either the Plutariment, as the meant-to-be target of all the discontent, or something the plutariment or sympathisers could theoretically hate enough to melt from orbit, like the proletariment, so that it escalates.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:50 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:22 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

which raises the question, what is the difference between "proletariament office complex" (which is being torched)
"Plut plaza" (where all of our meetings have been taking place) and "plutorliament annex" (where breya works)

I THINK this means that someone just torched the ELECTED parliamentary offices, NOT the wealthy ones... maybe to FRAME the wealthy 'purchasers' of senate seats?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:44 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:17 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:55 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:00 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:49 am 
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:09 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:15 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:59 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The Speaker AND Breya, then.

As for the coup planning, I'm sure whoever is behind it could technically have shut down Mirrorgeddon but while also that while the coup runner would have liked to have anger and chaos already flying around before this move they're also not going to stop the coup merely because it is not being facilitated as well as they would have liked. They probably figure it's just going to require a little more out and our force and a bit less willingness on the part of the general public. These are people or beings willing to overthrow a government and turn orbital mirrors into weapons of mass destruction against civilians, they clearly have the ruthlessness to go for Plan Jackboot To The Face if Plan Trick The People Into Supporting The First Stage Of The Coup doesn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:03 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:29 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:03 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:04 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
On the other gripping appendage, as a species of pacifists they may not have as many preconceptions on what is and is not a weapon. And as they assume humans are all violent, all the time, they may have been attempting to see things as they imagine humans do, and assuming everything is a weapon until proven otherwise. The fact that it's a large expensive human-built project that could be done in other, less expensive, more reliable ways may have predisposed them to see it as a weapon, as there is no way humans would have built something like that without a hidden weapon function.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:40 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Maxim 24. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:29 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Hmmm.

It wasn't dark before the attack, was it? This suggests something more sinister than simply the mirror attack has ceased. And the ring does not have enough coverage to deflect light away from Earth and create an artificial eclipse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:02 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:09 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Couldn't the arcology have a sufficiently powerful annie-plant to manage a shield? And, as the weapon is light in the visible spectrum, the shield would perforce have to block that range. Therefore, someone turned the sky off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:33 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:34 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

When Schlock was asking about the ring being used as a weapon, one of the counterpoints made was that the cities had annie plants. So yeah, I think someone finally figured out they were being attacked and turned the shields on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:20 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Oooh! I hadn't considered that. I just assumed that it was dark because the ring had been turned off and was no longer projecting sunlight into the night sky.

Shields make more sense. We already know they're strong enough to block out light, so that'd explain the blackout far, far better.

If that's the case, then the question is "why the heck didn't the shields get turned on sooner?" Presumably there's an AI managing that system that would be able to react almost as quickly as the attack began. Either that sort of automated defense doesn't exist there (or was, for whatever reason, slow to respond), or the system has been suborned.

Actually... if the Plutes have control of the shield systems, they might get accused of "letting the shots in".