The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015-03-19 That's Fair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:14 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

He's a tough-but-fair polar bear cop with a dark secret!

It's a sapient no-longer-non-lethal weapon!

They Fight Crime!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:20 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

ROFL.

I WANT to see that episode!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

As ethics go, it would probably be easy to migrate the tater to a maraca node like Ennesby has. (Maybe not quite as easy, since it's not viral.) ((And ignoring for a moment that Ennesby's chassis has a gun too.))

Whether the tater would prefer this over having to leave Dom Atlantis is another question, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Are Captain Landon and Smart Tater joining the Toughs? Duh Duh Duh!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

rleggett wrote:
Are Captain Landon and Smart Tater joining the Toughs? Duh Duh Duh!

At the moment, it is deliberately unclear who is going where. I don't think this is the last we've seen of him, but I doubt he will be joining the toughs officially either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:28 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Doubt Landon will become a member of the Toughs, for both in-universe and storytelling reasons.

In-universe: Given that being IA means you have to be even more squeaky-clean and morally upright (so to speak, and not a pun on his bipedal stance) than regular JSC officers, I can't imagine he has any particular desire to join up with a group whose hat bears a seriously gray shade.

Storytelling: He doesn't really bring anything to the table for the Toughs that isn't already provided by others (even if not on-screen at the moment). Morality? The reverend and his wife have that covered. Big mean omnivore with a penchant for eating people? Schlock. Big grunts, non-human or otherwise? Elizabeth and Chisulo, and to a lesser extent Andy. Landon's intelligence hasn't been discussed (though I imagine you wouldn't want an idiot in charge of IA), but Kevyn and to a lesser extent Elf have that aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:03 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Nohbody wrote:
Landon's intelligence hasn't been discussed (though I imagine you wouldn't want an idiot in charge of IA), but Kevyn and to a lesser extent Elf have that aspect.

I agree 100% with your assessment, but I have to disagree here. Landon is more comparable to Elf (or even to Murtaugh) than he is to Kevyn: from what little we've seen, his intelligence is more directed towards combat than towards science.

Now, we know nothing of how effective he is as a police officer or IA operative, save that he's currently a captain, and (presumably) achieved his rank through competence, rather than through bureaucratic machinations.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
He would add one thing the Toughs don't currently have on staff: A trained investigator. With the kind of problems the Toughs keep running into, a combat-capable trained investigator could be very helpful, if only to unravel the latest thing their employers are plotting.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:01 am 
Poster child for the IGNORE list

Psystorm wrote:
He would add one thing the Toughs don't currently have on staff: A trained investigator. With the kind of problems the Toughs keep running into, a combat-capable trained investigator could be very helpful, if only to unravel the latest thing their employers are plotting.

While I agree, I'm not so sure they couldn't simply resolve their problems the same way they usually do- shoot up everything in sight. I mean they have a lawyer and how often does he get to advocate? Why wasn't he in on any of the deal brokering with the ships and stuff?

Come to think of it, what kind of lawyer is Massey anyway?

And if you're ever in a fight involving thermonuclear weapons, shoot first.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:30 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

StClair wrote:
He's a tough-but-fair polar bear cop with a dark secret!

It's a sapient no-longer-non-lethal weapon!

They Fight Crime!

Spinoff material for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:32 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Psystorm wrote:

CSI: Polar Bear (still keep seeing spinoffs.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:09 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
mesmorino wrote:
Come to think of it, what kind of lawyer is Massey anyway?

Criminal, I think? He was a public defender, wasn't he?

Yeah, he originally appeared in the strip to get Nick out of jail after going Mano e Trunko, Tuskos, & Stompos with that angry elephant on Luna.

But then he got plugged into the Attorney Collective's legal knowledgebase, and became the legal equivalent of your Hollywood-standard omnidisciplinary scientist.

So he may be the most qualified non-Collective lawyer in the galaxy, but he keeps working for Tagon because he needs protection against the Collective. Or at least, that's how it started - I'm pretty sure he enjoys it, now.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Psystorm wrote:
So he may be the most qualified non-Collective lawyer in the galaxy, but he keeps working for Tagon because he needs protection against the Collective. Or at least, that's how it started - I'm pretty sure he enjoys it, now.

He certainly seemed to be here. (Alas, he didn't actually get to.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:47 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I thought he was just persuading her not to go for the human justice system.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:43 pm 

Wait.

Just so we're clear, this bear ate four nanite infested people, and somehow did not catch the infection himself. Despite the amount of blood he had to have come into contact with, the amount of open wounds he had, and the fact that he actually ingested FOUR separate individuals, he somehow managed to not only avoid death outright, but also avoid being infected, and become not just combat capable, but combat effective.

One is unlikely. Two are improbable. Three are, to quote that awesome samurai ninja robot from Samurai Jack, unbelievable.

I'm telling you, the Terminator could take lessons on how to be a Determinator (obligatory tv tropes link not inserted, for a change)

And if you're ever in a fight involving thermonuclear weapons, shoot first.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:11 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

mesmorino wrote:
Wait.

Just so we're clear, this bear ate four nanite infested people, and somehow did not catch the infection himself.

We'd already had explicit mention that the nanites do not work on uplifts. And doubtless Landon was cleared of nanites as part of the healing/repair process, either from the auto-doc at the redoubt, or from the medical care after the battle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:12 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Black Sheep wrote:
We'd already had explicit mention that the nanites do not work on uplifts.

Also they may have been "one-shot" nanites, as in "They do the job and go inert".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:54 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

Also they may have been "one-shot" nanites, as in "They do the job and go inert".

*nods* Self-limiting programming would prevent a "grey goo" scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:50 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

And having the nano break down after it has finished rewriting the victim's brain would reduce the odds of the nano being detected in the event of a victim managing to survive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:52 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Grashtel""Black Sheep"evileeyore wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
And having the nano break down after it has finished rewriting the victim's brain would reduce the odds of the nano being detected in the event of a victim managing to survive

Yes, a nanite weapon without this self limiting feature would make conquered territory uninhabitable for the victor also.

I am eager to learn the motive of the Shul, who seem to have decided to end an old and strong alliance with a very large Pearl Harbor sort of attack, but get away with it by deflecting suspicion.... So what were they expecting to gain?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Plane wrote:
Yes, a nanite weapon without this self limiting feature would make conquered territory uninhabitable for the victor also.

Unless you're also of the goo... then you've just made yourself a home.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:15 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Plane wrote:

Unless you're also of the goo... then you've just made yourself a home.

Whether you were of the goo before you deployed the weapon or not is left as an exercise to the reader.