The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:34 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I don't think the Tough's org chart has seen this big a shake-up since they started a circus. So far, we've seen:

• Karl Tagon: Commissioned as Commodore. Probably has overall operational command, but the details of the Toughs' running have yet to be fully detailed.
  • Kevyn Andreyasn: Promoted from Commander to Captain and given command of Cindercone.
  • Alexia Murtaugh: Promoted from Sergeant to Captain. Given command of Neosynchronicity (now destroyed) and Xeno Team. Possibly has command of Jumpstar Prime, at least when she's not sleeping off a near-death experience.
  • Pel Ebbirnoth: Promoted from Lieutenant to Commander.
  • Theo Fobius: Promoted from Sergeant (Master Sergeant?) to Lieutenant.
  • Para Ventura: She's had a roller coaster ride on the org chart. Ensign to Lieutenant to fired to Coxswain to Corporal, at which point she seems to have stayed.

• Kathryn Flinders: Commissioned as a Lieutenant. Seems to be responsible for operational intelligence.

Not to mention the fact that everyone's been shuffled around the various ships. Anything I missed?

Last edited by Nemoricus on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:47 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Nemoricus wrote:
I don't think the Tough's org chart has seen this big a shake-up since they started a circus. So far, we've seen:

• Karl Tagon: Commissioned as Commodore. Probably has overall operational command, but the details of the Toughs' running have yet to be fully detailed.
  • Kevyn Andreyasn: Promoted from Commander to Captain and given command of Cindercone.
  • Alexia Murtaugh: Promoted from Sergeant to Captain. Given command of Neosynchronicity (now destroyed) and Xeno Team. Possibly has command of Jumpstar Prime, at least when she's not sleeping off a near-death experience.
  • Para Ventura: She's had a roller coaster ride on the org chart. Ensign to Lieutenant to fired to Coxswain to Corporal, at which point she seems to have stayed.

Not to mention the fact that everyone's been shuffled around the various ships. Anything I missed?

• Kaff Tagon: Probably XO of the Toughs, and Captain of the (probable) flagship Broken Wind.

Of course, now that there's a plate, the new flagship might be the Jumpstar Priwe.

Who captains what is still a question, though Kevyn is probably still the quartermaster/Captain of the Cindercone.

AlphaSec CEO
Owns Exponential antimatter magazines and a 30" long gun.
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:52 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I notice Ebby's uniform is still red.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:44 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"Red team, blue team" makes me think of Team Fortress 2, although as war games go, they're probably pretty commonly used terms.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:51 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Arancaytar wrote:
"Red team, blue team" makes me think of Team Fortress 2, although as war games go, they're probably pretty commonly used terms.

They are. Although TF2 was unusually inventive in retronyming them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:36 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

alpha wrote:
Of course, now that there's a plate, the new flagship might be the Jumpstar Prime.

Surely that's going to get used as a fabbery to get Neoffan civilisation started at Eina-Afa?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:53 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Ishidan wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:

They are. Although TF2 was unusually inventive in retronyming them.

It makes me think of Red v. Blue.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:09 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

palu wrote:
I notice Ebby's uniform is still red.

So it is, and I'm willing to believe that Ebbirnoth is a Lieutenant Commander, not a full Commander. However, the fact that he has the Commander's planets in the current strip makes me think it's more like that he's a full Commander. Lieutenant Commanders in the past have been shown with the flat Lieutenant tabs, not planets.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:

Hasn't Theo being a Louie for a very long time? http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-12-19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:28 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arky wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

Hasn't Theo being a Louie for a very long time? http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-12-19

That at the least was the alternate, undone timeline.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:22 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

By the way, do you think those are goober rounds? It's either that or paintballs, and I'm not sure if they still sell those.

Also, I don't think we've seen any of the characters other than the Commodore and the Captain before.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Jindra34 wrote:
Arky wrote:

He was still in blue right up until the big recent (relatively speaking) shakeup.
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2013-01-19
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2013-02-08

First strip back
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2014-05-11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Jindra34 wrote:

Was Theo's promotion only after Kaff died? I admit I never realised that- have had Theo in my head as a lieutenant for 10 years (and it seems odd that he was not promoted at some point in the new timeline, so I'm glad he has been now).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:18 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Doesn't seem too odd to me. After all, Tagon's Toughs (or should that be Tagons' Toughs now?) are a fairly small organization. Promotions only really come to fill holes in the org chart, at least up until the current restructuring and subsequent rash of promotions.

I've also added Kathryn into my list, since she's now a Lieutenant in the Toughs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:19 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

alpha wrote:
Also, I don't think we've seen any of the characters other than the Commodore and the Captain before.

Can I register my dislike of most of the armour they've been wearing in recent years? I can barely identify anyone when they've got their helmet up.
Maybe those guys are new. Maybe they're not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:34 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arky wrote:
Jindra34 wrote:

Was Theo's promotion only after Kaff died? I admit I never realised that- have had Theo in my head as a lieutenant for 10 years (and it seems odd that he was not promoted at some point in the new timeline, so I'm glad he has been now).

Wow, same for me here. I'm so used to the idea that all Chaplains are officers that I think my mind just skipped over the issue of him being enlisted originally. I had to search for the strip where he gets promoted, and sure enough it's in the deleted timeline. His shirt changes from blue to red by the next strip.

I'd complain about it, but the situation seems to work for the Toughs. They have a semi-flat rank structure (not much distance top-to-bottom, due to organization size or lack thereof), and plenty of mobility up the ranks. There seems to be a pretty strong focus on competency-based respect in the organization, too, regardless of rank. As long as the officers don't mind taking advice from someone they outrank, then everything's copacetic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

stonefish wrote:
alpha wrote:

Can I register my dislike of most of the armour they've been wearing in recent years? I can barely identify anyone when they've got their helmet up.

They're new guys or people who've never been on panel before. I don't recognize them myself.

As for the armor...I'm mostly not too fond of the colors they've been using since the start of this book. They seem a little washed out to my eye.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:39 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Zinho wrote:
I'm so used to the idea that all Chaplains are officers that I think my mind just skipped over the issue of him being enlisted originally. ... As long as the officers don't mind taking advice from someone they outrank, then everything's copacetic.

Different militaries have different concepts for chaplains. The Royal Navy treat them as being the same rank as whoever is consulting them, from seaman to Admiral. They get officer's accommodation, uniforms and food, but those things don't seem to vary much by rank in the Toughs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:32 pm 
Intern
Intern

Nemoricus wrote:
As for the armor...I'm mostly not too fond of the colors they've been using since the start of this book. They seem a little washed out to my eye.

That makes sense to me. Bright clear colors are a lovely target on the battlefield. That's why in modern times most on-duty uniforms are dull gray/pale green or blue/camo etc. The brightest colors are usually reserved for dress uniforms for ceremonies and not meant to be worn in battle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:21 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

macnut wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

That makes sense to me. Bright clear colors are a lovely target on the battlefield. That's why in modern times most on-duty uniforms are dull gray/pale green or blue/camo etc. The brightest colors are usually reserved for dress uniforms for ceremonies and not meant to be worn in battle

Kinda. Colors should try to match the environment. If some fool decided to garishly paint the inside of his space station with bright, primary colors, then wearing bright, primary colors would make sense. The biggest issue with the Tough's uniforms isn't there colors, its the lack of operational differences. They are always the same.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:48 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well, they also do have Tailor's armour, and they're protected from most small-arms fire.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:30 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Nemoricus wrote:
stonefish wrote:
alpha wrote:

They're new guys or people who've never been on panel before. I don't recognize them myself.

Okay, cool. But with helmets up and the camera aimed above the shoulders, I still run into a lot of trouble.

Some are easy. Karl+Kaff have joined eyes. Andy has no nose. Mac's a monkey. Legs is a bird. But at one time or another, I've probably mixed up Para, Bunni, Liz, Elf, Chelle, etc. Do the masks sometimes tint the face as well? I can't remember.

Or maybe I'm just crap at this :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

While some are understandable, I'm not sure how you could miss Dr. B, given her... assets.

(Hey, I'm a guy, of course I look there. :P )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:30 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

stonefish wrote:
But at one time or another, I've probably mixed up Para, Bunni, Liz, Elf, Chelle, etc.

8O

They all have radically different body shapes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
8O

Indeed, I've found Howard has done a decent job of differentiating primary named characters. Once you start showing up at a few times a book at most? Doesn't matter if you have a name, you'll be hard to pick out of a line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:53 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

stonefish wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:
alpha wrote:

Okay, cool. But with helmets up and the camera aimed above the shoulders, I still run into a lot of trouble.

Some are easy. Karl+Kaff have joined eyes. Andy has no nose. Mac's a monkey. Legs is a bird. But at one time or another, I've probably mixed up Para, Bunni, Liz, Elf, Chelle, etc. Do the masks sometimes tint the face as well? I can't remember.

Or maybe I'm just crap at this :)

And don't forget Shep. Well, before Force Multiplication at least. It's hard to not recognize someone that looks like Geordi La Forge. [quote="stonefish"]

And Schlock. It's easy to recognize that heap of Carbosillicate amorph, even with others in the scene, with the little bit hanging over his slightly different sized eyes.

Andy also has 4 arms. I think that's a little more noticeable from a distance than the lack of a nose.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Nohbody wrote:
While some are understandable, I'm not sure how you could miss Dr. B, given her... assets.
evileeyore wrote:
alpha wrote:
Andy also has 4 arms. I think that's a little more noticeable from a distance than the lack of a nose.

Thanks for the help :roll:

stonefish wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:13 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

stonefish wrote:
Thanks for the help :roll:

You're welcome! Image

Maybe you could link to a few strips where you had this problem? I've never encountered the issue so, obviously, I'm having difficulty picturing what exactly you mean by.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:31 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

evileeyore wrote:
stonefish wrote:
But at one time or another, I've probably mixed up Para, Bunni, Liz, Elf, Chelle, etc.

8O

Well, Bunni does from all the rest. The others would look all about the same in hardsuits (assuming pre-regrowth Elf.
And everybody looks the same piloting a minitank (RIP Sh'vuu)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

The ones I struggle with is helmet shots of nick and elf. They have the same nose and eyes. Nothing else, but In Force Multiplication I had to tell them apart completely by context.