The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015-05-12 Crypt Spiders
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I have no idea what a crypt spider is, but if I had to hazard a guess they're planning a massive program to de-mothball every Oafan structure they can find. Oafan technology and resources could be instrumental in the war with Andromeda, and automated tools would make the job of reactivating Oafan technology much safer and easier.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:28 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

terribleperson wrote:
I have no idea what a crypt spider is, but if I had to hazard a guess they're planning a massive program to de-mothball every Oafan structure they can find. Oafan technology and resources could be instrumental in the war with Andromeda, and automated tools would make the job of reactivating Oafan technology much safer and easier.

The crypt spiders are probably meant to reanimate the long dead stored Oafans.

Though there may be other Cans Full Of Sky that need reawakening...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:37 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I think you've got it. The knowledge of functional ancient Oafans could be incredibly valuable... and could also lead them to more 'Cans Full of Sky'

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:18 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

terribleperson wrote:
I think you've got it. The knowledge of functional ancient Oafans could be incredibly valuable... and could also lead them to more 'Cans Full of Sky'

Pfft, who cares?

Somewhere out there is the fabber that built it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:31 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

mossyfisk wrote:
terribleperson wrote:

Pfft, who cares?

Assuming that said fabber isn't a part of the can, nothing says that it has to be built in one peice. Broken Wind could easily have lost the drivers and manual for it while crazy and senile so they need the old Oafans to figure out how to get it to boot up properly

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:17 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I think it's a joke or a deception. "Jumpstart Primer" spelled it out pretty clearly (too clearly for Ennesby's tastes): the battleplate's fabbers are here to jumpstart the long defunct Oafan manufacturing economy. They've got an obscene number of PTUs available, but I think they have no fabbing capacity to make more, which is why they were so happy to trade their bountiful stocks of expensive ships for the ability to make more of it. Once the fabbers that they build with the fabbers start fabbing their own fabbers with ever more ridiculous recursions of fabber fabrication, it'll take off exponentially and they can get rolling again. I think Karl is being cagey about it as either, again, a joke, or because the Oafan's don't want to tip anyone off to just how vulnerable they are right now without an economy to back up their ancient wealth.

An alternative, of course, is that Commodore Tagon IS being truthful, in which case I'm guessing the "crypt spiders" are some sort of maintenance/archaeology automaton that can revive the old Oafan fabbers that have fallen out of disrepair.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Just to add a layer of speculation (and because I think it's a fun thought), "crypt" might refer to encryption. I don't know what an encryption spider would do, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:36 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Grashtel wrote:
mossyfisk wrote:
terribleperson wrote:

Pfft, who cares?

Assuming that said fabber isn't a part of the can, nothing says that it has to be built in one peice. Broken Wind could easily have lost the drivers and manual for it while crazy and senile so they need the old Oafans to figure out how to get it to boot up properly

Intelligence from the Oafa fighting Pa'anuri from 10 Million years ago is going to be valuable. Especially since the timeline supports more than one Baryonic/Pa'anuri war, as the Gatekeeper/Pa'anuri war was 6 Million years ago. This will also matter since we know that one of the Big Dumb Objects, Oisri, has been "operational since before your ancestors left the trees" as Captain Gaska phrased it to Admiral Emm. Which puts it 8-10 Million years old, ish. Those ancient Oafa memories are likely the best (only?) information available from that long ago.

Brandishing the Smutto Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Or it might be a reference to this as a joke:

[url]xkcd.com/8[/url]

(Not likely)

AlphaSec CEO
Owns Exponential antimatter magazines and a 30" long gun.
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:38 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

psevetson wrote:
Just to add a layer of speculation (and because I think it's a fun thought), "crypt" might refer to encryption. I don't know what an encryption spider would do, though.

So today we see they are indeed 'spiders'* that will crawl through crypts, reading old memories off long dead 'scrolls' (like web-spiders skim webpages for key words) and quite likely will need to decrypt those long stored memories as they do so.

* Because it was cool. Or maybe because they crawl. Or maybe they really do look a bit like spiders.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:07 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Well, I was completely wrong! They AREN'T kickstarting the manufacturing/energy economy, they're sifting for the knowledge to do so. Maybe they're also about to revive a whole bunch of Oafa in the process.

Thousands of times more efficient, huh? I wonder how that compares to the Gatekeepers, who could turn one meal (or bomb) into millions in the blink of an eye. We don't know how EFFICIENTLY that converted the Buuthandi's mass, but talk about high-yield manufacturing!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:13 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Or it's a reference to Google spiders. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:14 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Or it's a reference to Google spiders. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
I hope it doesn't look anything like this, or the Toughs might have to deal with ravening battle-lawyers wielding legal variants of the Cluehammer

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:29 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

And His Malevolence has revealed that they were actually references to data-gathering spiders on the interwebs.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:56 pm 
Intern
Intern

starstriker1 wrote:
I think it's a joke or a deception. "Jumpstart Primer" spelled it out pretty clearly (too clearly for Ennesby's tastes): the battleplate's fabbers are here to jumpstart the long defunct Oafan manufacturing economy. They've got an obscene number of PTUs available, but I think they have no fabbing capacity to make more, which is why they were so happy to trade their bountiful stocks of expensive ships for the ability to make more of it. Once the fabbers that they build with the fabbers start fabbing their own fabbers with ever more ridiculous recursions of fabber fabrication, it'll take off exponentially and they can get rolling again. I think Karl is being cagey about it as either, again, a joke, or because the Oafan's don't want to tip anyone off to just how vulnerable they are right now without an economy to back up their ancient wealth.

An alternative, of course, is that Commodore Tagon IS being truthful, in which case I'm guessing the "crypt spiders" are some sort of maintenance/archaeology automaton that can revive the old Oafan fabbers that have fallen out of disrepair.

But if the Oafun fabbers which made PTU's were thousands of times as efficient as the modern ones, it would certainly be worth building one, even if the cost of one such fabber is far higher than one modern one. I can't help but note that Oisri was also made up of enough PTU's to bankrupt the energy budget of a small star. Perhaps Oisri and the Can Full 'O' sky were made using similar technologies.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Or maybe they had a big star. Or lots of smaller ones.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

richv wrote:
starstriker1 wrote:

But if the Oafun fabbers which made PTU's were thousands of times as efficient as the modern ones, it would certainly be worth building one, even if the cost of one such fabber is far higher than one modern one. I can't help but note that Oisri was also made up of enough PTU's to bankrupt the energy budget of a small star. Perhaps Oisri and the Can Full 'O' sky were made using similar technologies.

Ah, but he is truthful. He just hasn't completed his plans yet.

Also, who's vulnerable again?

Our old friend Mutually Assured Destruction ensures that all are vulnerable. I mean, the Oafans have more Neosynchrocity class corvettes presumably, with their NUSPIs. And the NSC was only a corvette. Think of what a NUSPI with a wormhole diameter measured in kilometres could do. The Can of Sky is big enough for that. Plus, Petey and the PD are on their side. And Petey knows how to make another LOTA cannon. And LOTA still likes Ventura, and would be disappointed if she dies a horrible death due to an attack on the Can.

Plus, all they have to do is batten down the hatches. Bristlecone faced thousands of missiles and that was only one gunship. And the can was in disrepair. Now that

And everyone knows where Earth is. And where the O'benn home worlds are.

Speaking of O'benn, what have they been up to?

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

alpha wrote:

Last we heard of them, they were slowly losing a war with a certain koaliod AI.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:30 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
alpha wrote:

Last we heard of them, they were slowly losing a war with a certain koaliod AI.

That ended up in war with another galaxy. That may or may not be going well.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:03 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
In one of the bonus stories, Petey shows up to a civilisation in Andromeda that was just about to test their first FTL drive, a Teraport. He warns them against it, telling them a little about the Pa'anuri, then jumps a fleet in to protect the planet. Among said fleet are multiple Thunderhead Superfortresses and even one or two Plate-class sections.

I think it's clear that the Ob'enn have been repurposed, like the Tohdfraugs. There is no way that the psychobears would have deployed the Cloak of Untrammeled Dignity in offensive operations, considering how on the back foot they were. So I think Petey managed to push all the way to Taus and repurpose them before the Andromeda reactor came online.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:19 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Psystorm wrote:
In one of the bonus stories, Petey shows up to a civilisation in Andromeda that was just about to test their first FTL drive, a Teraport. He warns them against it, telling them a little about the Pa'anuri, then jumps a fleet in to protect the planet. Among said fleet are multiple Thunderhead Superfortresses and even one or two Plate-class sections.

I think it's clear that the Ob'enn have been repurposed, like the Tohdfraugs. There is no way that the psychobears would have deployed the Cloak of Untrammeled Dignity in offensive operations, considering how on the back foot they were. So I think Petey managed to push all the way to Taus and repurpose them before the Andromeda reactor came online.

Well they are rather aggressive at cleansing other races. Its just important to make sure they cleanse the right ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:53 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Jindra34 wrote:
Psystorm wrote:

Well they are rather aggressive at cleansing other races. Its just important to make sure they cleanse the right ones.

Either that, or they're Petey's captured O'benn. You know, the ones that are the seed of a more peaceful O'benn society.

Or Petey constructed his own plates. I would not be surprised if he did that.

I wonder what would have happened if the PDCL face off against the Tunguska.

Or if a penta-class faced an Extortionator class. Or a Cloak of untrammelled Dignity.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:14 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

alpha wrote:

Or if a penta-class faced an Extortionator class. Or a Cloak of untrammelled Dignity.

In order, Tunguska wins, Extortionator wins, Cloak wins. The Tunguska is many times larger and more powerful than the PDCL, the Extortionator class is an annie plant large enough to fit a penta-class inside, and the Cloak Of Untrammeled Dignity is outlandishly huge.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:42 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

(name here) wrote:
alpha wrote:

In order, Tunguska wins, Extortionator wins, Cloak wins. The Tunguska is many times larger and more powerful than the PDCL, the Extortionator class is an annie plant large enough to fit a penta-class inside, and the Cloak Of Untrammeled Dignity is outlandishly huge.

Agreed on all counts. Though the best way to think of the Cloak is 20ish battleplates all stacked together. The real issue is; Is can an Extrotionator beat a Cloak?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:08 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Depends on how many sections of plate there are. Though Petey could kill many by sending expendable fastballs. Unmanned ones, that is. Or is it unO'benned? Or unKoalaed?

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:03 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Jindra34 wrote:
(name here) wrote:
alpha wrote:

Agreed on all counts. Though the best way to think of the Cloak is 20ish battleplates all stacked together. The real issue is; Is can an Extrotionator beat a Cloak?

The real issue is how many extortionators DID it take to defeat the cloak. Because that fight probably happened -- Petey would have finished up that fight shortly after taking the core. Or perhaps that's what he figured out his TAD punching trick for-- taking out the oben homeworld.

I get the impression the cloak is a uniquely large ship, possibly one of the largest in known space at the time if not THE largest.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

derrickthewhite wrote:
Jindra34 wrote:
alpha wrote:

The real issue is how many extortionators DID it take to defeat the cloak. Because that fight probably happened -- Petey would have finished up that fight shortly after taking the core. Or perhaps that's what he figured out his TAD punching trick for-- taking out the oben homeworld.

I get the impression the cloak is a uniquely large ship, possibly one of the largest in known space at the time if not THE largest.[/quote]

I doubt that Petey would have destroyed the Homeworld. After all, he's trying to make them more peaceful. He might have destroyed a few annies with torpedoes launched through his special macro-wormhole

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:33 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

derrickthewhite wrote:

I get the impression the cloak is a uniquely large ship, possibly one of the largest in known space at the time if not THE largest.

Considering the simplicity with which Petey turned other Ob'enn warships (insertion of a Petey meat-node via a teraport cage, followed by some sort of discussion with the AI, aided by the fact that he was a physical Ob'enn to which it had sworn allegiance), and the fact that the koala-bears-of-death hadn't seemed to realize that their enemy was actually Petey, he may have been able to get away with using the same strategy.

EDIT: Just did a period count. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

Wielder of the Schlock Post Luser Attitude Readjustment Kit.
Shall we shake hands? I'm gonna slap you so hard...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:14 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

alpha wrote:
I doubt that Petey would have destroyed the Homeworld. After all, he's trying to make them more peaceful. He might have destroyed a few annies with torpedoes launched through his special macro-wormhole

I have no doubt he left the population intact. He might have turned them loose in andromeda. Or just pacified them.

Yeah, he probably used the wormhole trick on organic nodes and torpedoes. Stupid clever godling. I wanted that gorgeous fight.