The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:17 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Considering the unfriendly actions (multiple radio jammers transmitting from the Depot), somehow I don't think the Toughs are all that worried over whether or not they'll get their Depot Deposit back.... :P

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:35 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Nevermind "master control node". How many is " multiple", and can you hit them all?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:12 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I find it hard to believe that Cindercone has no cameras or lights on her inside hull (how does the reader see her cargo, without interior lighting?), and that Iafa has no lights or cameras on her outer hull.

All they'd need is for Iafa to blink in Morse code (or future equivalent, or invent a code on the fly since they're AIs) a few thousand times per second and for Cindy to read that, and vice versa, to establish communications with enough bandwidth for tactical coordination.

They shouldn't need radio or hypernode when in direct visual contact with each other. In a normally well-thought-out webcomic this seems a bit glaring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 pm 
Intern
Intern

DaveM wrote:
I find it hard to believe that Cindercone has no cameras or lights on her inside hull (how does the reader see her cargo, without interior lighting?), and that Iafa has no lights or cameras on her outer hull.

All they'd need is for Iafa to blink in Morse code (or future equivalent, or invent a code on the fly since they're AIs) a few thousand times per second and for Cindy to read that, and vice versa, to establish communications with enough bandwidth for tactical coordination.

They shouldn't need radio or hypernode when in direct visual contact with each other. In a normally well-thought-out webcomic this seems a bit glaring.

Elf's suit-to-suit comm would work. Maybe nobody thought to mount one on Iafa or Cindercone. As for cameras, I'm sure the inside of Cindercone is awash with cameras. Hypernet-enabled nannycams.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:25 pm 
Intern
Intern

DaveM wrote:

Standards. They wouldn't be thinking of alternatives for things that they take for granted. It'll come to someone eventually, probably.

That being said Tootsie (I finally remember who's name meant "Little Wind") should really work on her sense of humor. Sarcasm doesn't work when the implied outcome is standard practice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
Standards. They wouldn't be thinking of alternatives for things that they take for granted. It'll come to someone eventually, probably.

That's my bet. When low tech options are never practiced even geniuses will have a difficult time remembering them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:08 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

That's my bet. When low tech options are never practiced even geniuses will have a difficult time remembering them.

Unless the genius is Kevyn, and the tech is a Modem.

AlphaSec CEO
Owns Exponential antimatter magazines and a 30" long gun.
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:18 am 
Intern
Intern

Iafa has a number of probe nodes. Maybe she could program them to track down each jamming node and pinpoint them with precision lasers? After all, the jamming nodes are radiating a signal. It makes them really easy to find. The Sanctum Adroit personnel usually have really good hard suits.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:17 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

Why wouldn't they be practiced, though? It's not like comm jamming is all that unlikely and a directed link is reasonably unjammable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:34 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

DaveM wrote:

This assumes the AI has not been comprimised. If the AI is running the jammers, it may watch for and kill comms occurring on other bands.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Cifer wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

Why wouldn't they be practiced, though? It's not like comm jamming is all that unlikely and a directed link is reasonably unjammable.

Comm jamming is probably common.
Comm jamming from inside yourself is probably less so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:42 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

Yes. Somebody posted in Morse code in the other related thread: a perfect demonstration of the point.
It doesn't work if the receiving station doesn't know the code key.

HISHE: Star Trek's brig-break scene.

*taptaptaptap taptaptaptap*
Bones: "Hear that tapping? The heck is that?"
Spock: "It is unlikely to be a mechanical defect, in fact it sounds like an intentional pattern"
Kirk: "Yes..." *puts ear to the wall*
*taptaptaptap taptaptaptaptap*
Kirk: "But why would somebody be doing that? Oh wait it stopped. Well... maybe it will start up ag"
BOOM
Scotty: "What are ye all standing around for? Don't ya know a gaolbreak when ye...the hell?"
Bones: "Dammit! Jim had his ear right where your damn breaching charge went off, even a Vulcan spirit orb couldn't help him now."
Spock: "Scotty, did you actually expect any of us to be able to connect tapping on a wall to the fact you were about to make the wall explode?"
Scotty: "I SPELLED OUT what I was about to do in Morse code!"
Spock: "Morse...Mr. Scott, Morse Code has not been in active use for several centuries, and even then only on Earth. None of us know it. Oh that's right, you weren't there when I said the exact same thing about being able to speak Whale a few months ago."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:35 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

DaveM wrote:
I find it hard to believe that Cindercone has no cameras or lights on her inside hull (how does the reader see her cargo, without interior lighting?),

The same way that the reader saw Oisri?

Far away from the nearest star it should be very dark, and yet we've never had any trouble seeing things in deep space. In a solar system there is sunlight, but without an atmosphere to scatter the light there is no daylight. A surface in space that isn't directly sunlit is pitch black, but we never see that. Apparently Howard shows us what is there, not what a spectator astronaut would actually see.

DaveM wrote:
and that Iafa has no lights or cameras on her outer hull.

Obviously Broken Wind has some way to communicate with her boats that they are confident won't be jammed. Sending out the boats would have been pointless otherwise.

richv wrote:
After all, the jamming nodes are radiating a signal. It makes them really easy to find.

Not so easy inside a Faraday cage. The radio waves are bouncing around in the hold so that there's noise coming from all directions. I bet it took some very advanced signal processing to resolve that. Iafa just finished that processing and is now reporting that there are multiple sources in the depot.

Cifer wrote:
It's not like comm jamming is all that unlikely and a directed link is reasonably unjammable.

I get the impression that hypernode jamming has rather short range. Kaff was surprised that the Morokweng could jam hypernodes from a few kilometers away. Perhaps enemy ships usually destroy each other long before they get close enough to jam each other's hypernodes?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:04 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I wonder how Broken Wind is coordinating her boats right now. Does she have line-of-sight laser communication with them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:48 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arancaytar wrote:
I wonder how Broken Wind is coordinating her boats right now. Does she have line-of-sight laser communication with them?

From the Friday strip, it does seem that they have laser comm capability.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

What are the boats? Fighters? Gunships? Are they manned?

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

alpha wrote:

I believe they're the same class of ship as Neosynchronicity was. They certainly look very similar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

John Dallman wrote:
alpha wrote:

I believe they're the same class of ship as Neosynchronicity was. They certainly look very similar.

A carrier armed with a fleet of Neosynchrosities… That's terrifying.

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

alpha wrote:

I think Howard said somewhere that they are unmanned and about half the length of the Neosynchronicity (no NUSPI), I can't remember where though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:38 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Omegatron wrote:
alpha wrote:

I think Howard said somewhere that they are unmanned and about half the length of the Neosynchronicity (no NUSPI), I can't remember where though.

Time to break out the diving board. *Splash*

AlphaSec CEO
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle