The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:47 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I have a vivid memory of a particular Schlock strip that had a footnote I really liked. I think the strip featured Kerchak (although I could be wrong), and the footnote said something along the lines of:
Quote:
The astute reader will note....[something I forgot]....The hirsute reader will already know this.

I have searched with a variety of terms, and could not find the footnote. Thinking that maybe my Google-fu was too weak (and not having the time to re-re-re-read half of the archives), I wrote to Howard Tayler, and he replied:
Quote:
An indexed search of my 6000-file "Scripts - Drawn" directory finds zero uses of the word "hirsute," which suggests an indexing failure, because that sounds VERY much like a joke I would tell.

Does anyone else remember this footnote? If so, can you please link to the strip, or provide whatever details you can remember? Thank you!

The other possibility is that maybe I've fallen into an alternate version of our universe....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:59 pm 
Intern
Intern

Could be one of the many footnotes that got lost in the server/site update of two thousand and whenever...

*cue evil laugh*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:30 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

As I was thinking about it, I realized that the footnotes are regular text, and therefore should be searched and indexed by Google. So maybe I'm remembering a comment that was in the comic graphic itself.

Does anybody remember a comic that dealt to some extent with problems relating to the hairiness of one of the characters?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:20 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Most of the comic text appears as regular text on the site, and can be searched with Google, or the site search. I've been through all the instances of "astute" that the site search can find and I'm not finding this joke.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

TomTT2 wrote:
I have a vivid memory of a particular Schlock strip that had a footnote I really liked. I think the strip featured Kerchak (although I could be wrong), and the footnote said something along the lines of:
Quote:
The astute reader will note....[something I forgot]....The hirsute reader will already know this.

I have searched with a variety of terms, and could not find the footnote. Thinking that maybe my Google-fu was too weak (and not having the time to re-re-re-read half of the archives), I wrote to Howard Tayler, and he replied:
Quote:
An indexed search of my 6000-file "Scripts - Drawn" directory finds zero uses of the word "hirsute," which suggests an indexing failure, because that sounds VERY much like a joke I would tell.

Does anyone else remember this footnote? If so, can you please link to the strip, or provide whatever details you can remember? Thank you!

The other possibility is that maybe I've fallen into an alternate version of our universe....

I remember something like this. Though that might be the confirmation bias talking.

AlphaSec CEO
Owns Exponential antimatter magazines and a 30" long gun.
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:41 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

John Dallman wrote:
Most of the comic text appears as regular text on the site, and can be searched with Google, or the site search. I've been through all the instances of "astute" that the site search can find and I'm not finding this joke.

That's only true until mid 2018.
Comics from first to 31 may 2009 contain transcript, comics past that point, until 20 april 2010 have transcript replaced with apology for lack of trancript. Strips newer than that don't seem to have any transcript. Exact phrase search for newer comics failed.

OP, I also seem to remember such a joke. Based on other replies, area to be searched can be narrowed to strips published after 1st June 2009.

EDIT: I think I recalled something. Didn't that joke happen in book (Massively Parallel) during which transcripts are stopped? Did it go something like "astute reader my know that Kerchack's call happens in X hours"? Checked that guess, seems I was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:14 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

WickedWolfie wrote:
Could be one of the many footnotes that got lost in the server/site update of two thousand and whenever...

Could these errant footnotes be recovered?

*pokes the way-back machine looking for long forgotten quotes, but draws a blank.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:03 am 
Janitor
Janitor

M[i]ech wrote:

Amazed you haven't been slammed with time travel jokes yet.

/eh guess those aren't so funny now that Back To the Future is officially All In The Past...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:19 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
John Dallman wrote:

Comics from first to 31 may 2009 contain transcript, comics past that point, until 20 april 2010 have transcript replaced with apology for lack of trancript. Strips newer than that don't seem to have any transcript. Exact phrase search for newer comics failed.

OP, I also seem to remember such a joke. Based on other replies, area to be searched can be narrowed to strips published after 1st June 2009.

EDIT: I think I recalled something. Didn't that joke happen in book (Massively Parallel) during which transcripts are stopped? Did it go something like "astute reader my know that Kerchack's call happens in X hours"? Checked that guess, seems I was wrong.

Actually the footnote everyone is looking for was attached to the January 3, 2004 strip and seems to have since been lost to the internet.

From a hardcopy of The Blackness Between the note reads as:
Quote:
The astute reader now knows more assuredly why Kerchak and the rest of the apes don't wear underwear.
The hirsute reader probably figured it out long before now.

That book is full of notes, asides and sketches, some of which I do not remember ever seeing on the internet, and bereft of flash ads. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

theycallmeb wrote:
Actually the footnote everyone is looking for was attached to the January 3, 2004 strip and seems to have since been lost to the internet.

From a hardcopy of The Blackness Between the note reads as:
Quote:
The astute reader now knows more assuredly why Kerchak and the rest of the apes don't wear underwear.
The hirsute reader probably figured it out long before now.

Awesome! Thank you! :D

I wonder why that (and perhaps other?!) footnote isn't on the internet any more?