The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:34 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

I see someone watches Adam Ruins Everything!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:38 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Pun aside, that's something I've never really considered before. Doesn't do wonders for my confidence in our current legal system though.

EDIT:
Freeflier, how's the future? Apparently you posted almost five hours from now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:09 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I don't much care for Massey's line of reasoning. Sure, style isn't substance, but your appearance is a means of communication. Robes communicate symbolically, and set an expectation. It's only "legal theater" if the justice isn't real. Taking off the robes because appearances don't matter is kind of adolescent; the important thing is to live up to them. And why is being the only one who wears a tie different?

That said, he does have some notable company:
Quote:
If we must have peculiar garbs for the judges, I think the gown is the most appropriate. But, for heaven’s sake, discard the monstrous wig, which makes the English judges look like rats peeping through bunches of oakum. -- Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:04 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

That is indeed a very high . . . err . . . standard.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Petruchio wrote:
I don't much care for Massey's line of reasoning. Sure, style isn't substance, but your appearance is a means of communication. Robes communicate symbolically, and set an expectation. It's only "legal theater" if the justice isn't real. Taking off the robes because appearances don't matter is kind of adolescent; the important thing is to live up to them. And why is being the only one who wears a tie different?

Well, I can sort of see his point. In the very first judicial case of the Oafan Freehold, court was held in a random room. the audience was standing, the judge and lawyers were standing, and while everyone's clothing was nice enough, there were no benches, gavels, robes, wigs, bailiffs, security checkpoints, witness stands, or anything else that we commonly associate with 'court'. He even skipped all of the pre-trial back-and-forth motions on petty issues.

the message is pretty clear... wherever an Oafan Judge is standing, justice is standing with him. The trappings of court are entirely unnecessary.

I'm guessing that eventually, most cases will use something resembling a traditional courtroom, with a high bench, a witness stand, tables for prosecution and defense, etc. that's just a logical layout. but Oafan judges will always reserve the right to skip all of that, and dispense justice as-needed, at whatever location they are summoned to. A bit like bringing back the old west circuit judges.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well, that's getting uncomfortably close to Petey's approach. Unfortunately, most people are not the psychobear at the center of the galaxy, so it doesn't turn out so well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:51 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
Well, that's getting uncomfortably close to Petey's approach. Unfortunately, most people are not the psychobear at the center of the galaxy, so it doesn't turn out so well.

Precedent exists... since not everyone can call upon the memories and computational ability of a fleetmind.

AlphaSec CEO
Owns Exponential antimatter magazines and a 30" long gun.
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:15 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

alpha wrote:
... since not everyone can call upon the memories and computational ability of a fleetmind.

Or a drone hivemind...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

technojunkie wrote:
alpha wrote:
... since not everyone can call upon the memories and computational ability of a fleetmind.

Or a drone hivemind...

Or multiple battleplate-sized room full of nodes.

AlphaSec CEO
Owns Exponential antimatter magazines and a 30" long gun.
Wants a 30" Sniper Rifle