The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:31 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Three in one comic, wow. Also... Yea not sure what happens next.

Why is flinders freaking out?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:44 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Because Captain Tagon just died, and she was coming to that realization as Broken Wind talked. I mean you don't have to be family to mourn the loss of a commanding officer you respect. And Tagon was pretty well liked by his troops.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

If you aren't willing to shell your own position, you aren't willing to win...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:55 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Soo.... if there's no body to recover, no resurrection can be performed?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:10 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Even if there can be:

A moment of silence, please, for this Kaff Tagon, and his forever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:42 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

technojunkie wrote:
Soo.... if there's no body to recover, no resurrection can be performed?

Schlock was "resurrected" after his original bits were denatured by cold and vacuum.
If his recorded wishes call for it, he can lose everything since his last off-site backup and "return". Hopefully that wasn't back when his memories were flagged as true/false.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:52 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-08-27

He more or less already said that it was a suicide mission and he'd be needing Bunni afterward, presumably to bring him back.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2015-04-26

Seems like a pretty clear Laz-4 death, which we still have the implications and effects to be explained. Would tie in with the Vog and Murtaugh stuff earlier too if Tagon came back a little different/earlier in his life, perhaps a little more war-mongery and not as made up with his dad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:58 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

aroduc wrote:
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-08-27

He more or less already said that it was a suicide mission and he'd be needing Bunni afterward, presumably to bring him back.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2015-04-26

Seems like a pretty clear Laz-4 death, which we still have the implications and effects to be explained. Would tie in with the Vog and Murtaugh stuff earlier too if Tagon came back a little different/earlier in his life, perhaps a little more war-mongery and not as made up with his dad.

Even with a highly corrupted backup, they have deep storage. I doubt Petey threw away the scans he took during the memory flagging. Think of the RED, in this case, as an incremental backup. What fragments of data are salvageable merged with a much older backup, (if only several hours older, but probably weeks. ..Tagon strikes me as the type to dodge physicals...and regular preventive self-maintenance like personality/identity/memory backups.)

Edit. Which brings us back to Vog.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:05 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

But ... But ... the whole setup about repelling borders and controlling projectiles ... I was expecting the AI to rebel at the last second despite Petey saying "let him kill himself".

I mean, I know that Petey wanted to take some career sociopaths out of circulation, but did it have to be this way?

Wait a sec ...

Hold on. I just realized: You can't fool or outsmart Petey. He either knew, or should have been able to know, that this was going to be Tagon's action, and despite that, Petey made sure that he could not help Tagon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:24 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
But ... But ... the whole setup about repelling borders and controlling projectiles ... I was expecting the AI to rebel at the last second despite Petey saying "let him kill himself".

I mean, I know that Petey wanted to take some career sociopaths out of circulation, but did it have to be this way?

Wait a sec ...

Hold on. I just realized: You can't fool or outsmart Petey. He either knew, or should have been able to know, that this was going to be Tagon's action, and despite that, Petey made sure that he could not help Tagon.

Petey committed his resources before the Esspees, whom he did not know well, decided to steal a starship.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:45 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Isn't everyone backed up now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:09 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

bengtl wrote:
Isn't everyone backed up now?

That's the assumption ... but we don't know for certain. Some people might have philosophical objections (like Nick had objections about his memories being sorted), and if Tagon was one of these, then ... well, we'll see what happens.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:34 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I have to wonder, what were the espies thinking at that final moment when he jumped?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:16 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Later, Cap'n. See ya when you decant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:42 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Warior4356 wrote:
I have to wonder, what were the espies thinking at that final moment when he jumped?

"Wait, where's the guy who's supposed to be watching that entrance?"

A single guy with a radio could have told someone with a gun to shoot Tagon, and might have been able to jam the warhead.

Ah, well. Bet they feel like idiots now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:20 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Well, Kaff Tagon 1.0 is vapor (observes a moment of silence). Hopefully we'll see Kaff Tagon 2.0 if he made a full offsite backup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
Warior4356 wrote:

"Wait, where's the guy who's supposed to be watching that entrance?"

A single guy with a radio could have told someone with a gun to shoot Tagon, and might have been able to jam the warhead.

Ah, well. Bet they feel like idiots now!

It looks to me more like he was leaping down fom an overhead space, so he may have LITERALLY been right on top of them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:36 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

For creatures that can 'naturally' fly, not considering above and below as incoming vectors is a very poor showing for them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:02 pm 
Intern
Intern

Suggestion for Maxim Zero: "Always back yourself up before going into battle."

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:21 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Quote:

Petey wants you to believe that. In reality, he's not omniscient, omnipresent or omnipotent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Okay I have just joined to ask this question.

Why do people keep talking about offsite backups for the human characters?

The red-reo nani's store the backups in your own shin and bone. Murtaugh lost 1 percent of herself to a bomb if they had an offsite back up even a month old she would be more her using that, than she is after losing 1% of her entire life up to that point.

The red-reo nani's make you nearly immortal barring being vaporised like what just happened to Tagon.

While I'm not convinced he is dead, death is still a risk in the schlock universe just not from old age till you reach 7 figures maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ushio wrote:
Okay I have just joined to ask this question.

Then welcome!

Quote:
Why do people keep talking about offsite backups for the human characters?

For just such situations as Tagon is now in: all of his body has been destroyed, so any "local" backup is destroyed. If it was implemented properly (or, at least, the way I would implement it), backups would be nightly while you sleep.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:14 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The fact that Petey kept an off-site copy of Schlock, and honestly there's no real difference between keeping the copy in your skin or in a server somewhere. Except for the part where getting blown up locally will wreck the RED backup but not an offsite server. If people accept RED but not off-site storage, they're being rather inconsistent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:51 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Of course the problem is such off-site storage has yet to be mentioned in-comic, Schlock's case being a notable exception. There may not be any such backup for anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:14 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

That only strengthens my Lobotomy argument, really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

macnut wrote:
Of course the problem is such off-site storage has yet to be mentioned in-comic, Schlock's case being a notable exception. There may not be any such backup for anyone else.

Petey's surreptitious backup of Shlock wasn't mentioned until after he died the first time, so it's quite possible that back-ups have been made.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:30 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I just want to take a moment to remind everyone how Para hacked the Tarbots and Bristlecone: by hacking the backups, and forcing a restore.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:16 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

All the logic aerobatics in the name of plot are coming home to roost. In the beginning we were able to accept the plot as-is because we accepted the character's limits and abilities, but now we are at the point where the characters should have a plan and problem resolution skills far beyond what they are demonstrating.

It is at this point the universe needs a reckoning. Either tone down the character's expected abilities or spend more time planning a more intelligent plot. Sorry, but it is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:
It is at this point the universe needs a reckoning. Either tone down the character's expected abilities or spend more time planning a more intelligent plot. Sorry, but it is needed.

I'm still giving our Author some leeway... but it does begin to look like he's written himself into a corner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:27 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
macnut wrote:

Petey's surreptitious backup of Shlock wasn't mentioned until after he died the first time, so it's quite possible that back-ups have been made.

Petey's surreptitious backup of Kevyn wasn't mentioned until he was talking down an irate Kevyn and Elf, when he was flagging memories that were falsified.
Petey had unique access to Kevyn at that time. He'd provided the Laz-r-us mods that Kevyn used on Pronto's world.
Petey has now had equivalent access to every member of Tagons crew except Nick, who bowed out rather than have his newfound happiness, with a girlfriend, endangered by a rewrite.

No, we don't know that Petey has backups of everyone, but it's very probable.
The advantage of RED over an off-site backup is, barring major damage, you keep everything, even yesterday. Even this morning. The advantage of off-site backups over RED is, in the event your body is wiped out, you keep something, even though it might be a week, or even a month old.
The advantage of both is obvious. There's no reason to not have both, and with the GavCorp disaster, we've learned that backups can, at the least, receive gestalt information passively, and at low bandwidth. Transmitting incremental backups overnight should be similarly easy.

It's easy. It makes sense. Petey has pulled this stunt before. Odds are it's been done.
Odds are the Toughs have off-site backups to complement their RED.

The next storyline could be a information security story about the need to securely store your backups so your enemies don't use them against you.