The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:04 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

See Esspee tech, vaporize it to molecular slime.

The toughs have recognized the enemy, and it is their client.

... How are they getting paid again?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:17 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well, their client is certainly in default. I suppose they can try and claim the literally priceless planet of PTU?

The headdesking around how this battle has been handled aside, I suspect the payoff will be the espies coming up against Tensy and schlock. If using annies and moving your mind is heresy, they must be the archbishops of hell.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Litigate and demand Uli-Ola as compensation for breach of contract, signing contract in bad faith, failure to provide accurate information, or something like that?

On the other side, Neoafan Freehold might demand compensation for reckless endangerment, or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:30 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
Litigate and demand Uli-Ola as compensation for breach of contract, signing contract in bad faith, failure to provide accurate information, or something like that?

On the other side, Neoafan Freehold might demand compensation for reckless endangerment, or something.

Outright war actually. It was bad enough with the UNS INI science vessel, but the moment they get into Kevyn's (yes who has completely made a touch down with the idiot ball due to him wanting an easy way to port back home and bypass virtually all security measures) apartment they are just a dozen short steps away from entering sovereign Neofan territory. The normal response to a hostile force on your country's territory is outright obliteration of said force and a declaration of war against the parties that sent that force. In this case it would likely be treated as ALL the Esspees from the colony are at fault if someone doesn't step in right away to stop them. Congratulations Esspee warmongers you now have potentially killed everyone you knew back home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

hybrid wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

Outright war actually. It was bad enough with the UNS INI science vessel, but the moment they get into Kevyn's (yes who has completely made a touch down with the idiot ball due to him wanting an easy way to port back home and bypass virtually all security measures) apartment they are just a dozen short steps away from entering sovereign Neofan territory. The normal response to a hostile force on your country's territory is outright obliteration of said force and a declaration of war against the parties that sent that force. In this case it would likely be treated as ALL the Esspees from the colony are at fault if someone doesn't step in right away to stop them. Congratulations Esspee warmongers you now have potentially killed everyone you knew back home.

War sounds like the fastest, easiest, most mercenary-ary (is there an adjective based on word mercenary?) and most fun for the reader solution ("war has never been so much fun"). But war and conquest or annexation doesn't preclude litigation. War reparations are a thing, and Murtaugh explicitly stated that Toughs were liable to be sued for war damages, which implied existence of some sort of supranational court.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:07 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

hybrid wrote:
Congratulations Esspee warmongers you now have potentially killed everyone you knew back home.

It's like some of you people don't read the same comic I read.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I do have to wonder what exactly the Esspees are thinking. Boarding a ship was one thing, but teraporting into a hostile world. Even if they can manage to overrun the defenders only twenty or so invaders can't hope to hold a world. And with Schlock, Captain Landon, Tenzy, and the entire surprisingly-heavily-armed-for-cops Sanctum Adroit even overrunning the defenders seems unlikely. Not to mention Petey being able to teraport in at will, and probably not wanting such a valuable map of the galaxy to fall into pirate hands.

Do the Espees know what they are getting into, or are they just looking for a way off what is turning into an increasingly hazardous boarding operation.

evileeyore wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Congratulations Esspee warmongers you now have potentially killed everyone you knew back home.

It's like some of you people don't read the same comic I read.

I know right. Why does genocide keep coming up so frequently here. Most of the sophonts of the Schlock Mercenary universe aren't the type to resort to indiscriminate violence. Specifically targeted violence sure. But not the destruction of an entire colony in retaliation for the crimes of a few.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:15 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Arcanestomper wrote:
I do have to wonder what exactly the Esspees are thinking. Boarding a ship was one thing, but teraporting into a hostile world.

I doubt the General is thinking "invade whole planet", he's probably thinking "invade the Tough's base and steal at least one, if not a few, PTU hulled warships and then run like we stole something!"

I doubt he expects to run into the likes of Landon, Tenzy, and Schlock, let alone a cadres of Sanctum Adroit* and how many ever Toughs** might be still on Ein-Afa.

* Soft targets compared to the Esspees.
** I'm betting zero, aside from Schlock. Massey no longer counts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
I do have to wonder what exactly the Esspees are thinking. Boarding a ship was one thing, but teraporting into a hostile world.

I doubt the General is thinking "invade whole planet", he's probably thinking "invade the Tough's base and steal at least one, if not a few, PTU hulled warships and then run like we stole something!"

I doubt he expects to run into the likes of Landon, Tenzy, and Schlock, let alone a cadres of Sanctum Adroit* and how many ever Toughs** might be still on Ein-Afa.

* Soft targets compared to the Esspees.
** I'm betting zero, aside from Schlock. Massey no longer counts.

I wouldn't rule sanctum adroit out entirely . They might be doing police work now, but they are still a mercenary company. And they did have a gunship even when policing Haven Hive. So they aren't afraid to bring in heavy firepower when called for.

Their officers on the street might be carrying nonlethal weapons, but I bet they can pull some Heavies out of their base if they need to.

Also Chinook has the AI capacity of a giant station, and the gravy of a battleplate. The combination of which has been shown to be capable of all those fun anti boarder techniques.

Also ironically the other end of that teraport cage is literally a world away from the actual docks where the ships are. If that's his plan he is going to be in for a rude surprise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:25 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Does chinook have more bigger annies in the fins I wonder? Just needing to be warbucked? The attack squadrons had annie plants, so it stands to reason the can does too. But yea, the esspies are more or les boarding a battle plate interms of the nearby gravy. Why are schlock and landon needed again?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I don't think the invaders are particularly intelligent. I suspect the commander that authorized using the enemies' tearaport cage expected Kevyn's home to be a mansion on a hill or even a condo in a undefenced civilian city, not a repurposed pod from a battleplate located in the heart of a planet-sized station with extremely long paths to get anywhere (and controlled internal tearaporting, based on Chinook's comments about the difficulty in opening a needed door), all controlled by the Goddess of Earth, Wind, Plumbing, Warships, and Extremely Scary Guns That Can Sharpshoot You From The Other Side Of The Galaxy.

I think they're going to have an "Oh Sierra" moment when they tearport to Kevn's patio with it's view of the world below the oversized baffle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:36 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
hybrid wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

War sounds like the fastest, easiest, most mercenary-ary (is there an adjective based on word mercenary?) and most fun for the reader solution ("war has never been so much fun"). But war and conquest or annexation doesn't preclude litigation. War reparations are a thing, and Murtaugh explicitly stated that Toughs were liable to be sued for war damages, which implied existence of some sort of supranational court.

Mercenary is an adjective. "Mercenary-ary" is a bit like "irregardless"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:

Huh? It always looked like a noun to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:05 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

M[i]ech wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Dictionary.com calls it an adjective and a noun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Arcanestomper wrote:
I wouldn't rule sanctum adroit out entirely .

I would. For a prolonged encounter? No. But in the timeframe being discussed all that will have time to deploy are patrolmen, thus the 'squishies".

Quote:
If that's his plan he is going to be in for a rude surprise.

I agree, but not for the reasons you think.

Warior4356 wrote:
Does chinook have more bigger annies in the fins I wonder? Just needing to be warbucked? The attack squadrons had annie plants, so it stands to reason the can does too. But yea, the esspies are more or les boarding a battle plate interms of the nearby gravy. Why are schlock and landon needed again?

Esspees subvert machines. This limits how well Chinook can pinpoint them to gravy them.

Though honestly? They've had time to deploy Landon and spring Schlock, Chinook had more than enough time to dismantle the gate with gravy, or relocate it via teraporting.... so this is all occurring because "plot demands it".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I don't even want to know. I'm guessing the author is going to surprise us with the characters having a clever secret, but now it seems he's trying to write a plot with characters that are supposed to be pretty smart - and he has to step up his game to keep up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:40 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
M[i}ech wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Properly it was mercenary soldier, and was contracted to just mercenary.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:10 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
Properly it was mercenary soldier, and was contracted to just mercenary.

--FreeFlier

grahamf wrote:

Well, that answers my (implied) question, thanks.
Question remains: whose idea is it, to let same word be noun and adjective? Were they punished accordingly, or I have to track them down myself?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:06 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Mech wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:
Properly it was [i]mercenary soldier, and was contracted to just mercenary.

--FreeFlier

grahamf wrote:

Well, that answers my (implied) question, thanks.
Question remains: whose idea is it, to let same word be noun and adjective? Were they punished accordingly, or I have to track them down myself?

I belive it was the ancient Romans. It's called a substantive adjective.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
I don't even want to know. I'm guessing the author is going to surprise us with the characters having a clever secret, but now it seems he's trying to write a plot with characters that are supposed to be pretty smart - and he has to step up his game to keep up.

Unfortunately it genuinely seems that has been the problem in this arc- characters (especially the AIs) are written to carry idiot balls to advance the plot, not to be as intelligent as they should be.