The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 pm 
Intern
Intern

Well now we know for sure that was Petey.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:36 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

... I struggle to even contemplate the amount of energy that would be required to meaningfully disperse a ball of transuranics that size.
Probably at least one order of magnitude higher than what was required to crush the original Uli-Oa into said ball, and that's a number I have trouble with as well.
He doesn't have to just disrupt it, break it apart, but also scatter it over a large enough volume that all parties consider it impractical to try to control/deny said volume to competitors. That is a very large volume, in this case... probably a couple of AUs at minimum, if not an entire (conventional) star system.
And he's gonna do that by plinking at it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:10 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

If he sends enough rocks at it, at the velocities he sent the first one, Uli-Oa will break apart. It may require an asteriod belt's worth of rocks though. The only real question IMO, will be what becomes of the Esspie colony under that bombardment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:22 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

macnut wrote:
The only real question IMO, will be what becomes of the Esspie colony under that bombardment.

I suspect that after the second hit, they'll move out. Then the bigger rocks can start.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:55 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I guess it's a good thing Petey doesn't live in a glass house. (He doesn't, does he?) :?:
StClair wrote:
... I struggle to even contemplate the amount of energy that would be required to meaningfully disperse a ball of transuranics that size.
Probably at least one order of magnitude higher than what was required to crush the original Uli-Oa into said ball, and that's a number I have trouble with as well.
He doesn't have to just disrupt it, break it apart, but also scatter it over a large enough volume that all parties consider it impractical to try to control/deny said volume to competitors. That is a very large volume, in this case... probably a couple of AUs at minimum, if not an entire (conventional) star system.

We know mass can be converted to energy for teraporting. And we know mass can be converted to energy to change the velocity of an object being teraported. So several small asteroid belts (or one big one) should be plenty to get the job done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:17 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Ken_g6 wrote:
I guess it's a good thing Petey doesn't live in a glass house. (He doesn't, does he?) :?:
StClair wrote:

We know mass can be converted to energy for teraporting. And we know mass can be converted to energy to change the velocity of an object being teraported. So several small asteroid belts (or one big one) should be plenty to get the job done.

In the Schlockiverse, energy is, for all intents and purposes, free and extremely plentiful. The only real expenditure after the first Annie plant is time and mass. Petey's has entire barren solar systems worth of mass at the Core, and enough Annie plants working to build more Annie plants at a rather impressive rate, considering he was able to build multiple ships with Annie plants BIGGER THAN BATTLEPLATES in only a few months. And moon-sized cities by the dozen.

Even without the Core generator itself, flinging a rock around like that is EASY. Even the original Kitesfear could probably do it given a few days and enough fuel.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:11 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

But that raises the question, IMO - if he wants to disperse Uli-Oa, why doesn't he do so by putting it through a teraport with a small random-walk factor?

(Yes, bad luck means that some of the colonists may be (randomly) killed by this. But given that he's already firing fractional-c impactors at the thing, he must either have a very high opinion of his aim, or not care about relatively (ha) small odds of collateral damage.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

StClair wrote:
But that raises the question, IMO - if he wants to disperse Uli-Oa, why doesn't he do so by putting it through a teraport with a small random-walk factor?

(Yes, bad luck means that some of the colonists may be (randomly) killed by this. But given that he's already firing fractional-c impactors at the thing, he must either have a very high opinion of his aim, or not care about relatively (ha) small odds of collateral damage.)

Because throwing rocks is easier then teraporting a planet.