The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

It's a good point. And why ask for more money because the task is hard, if that money won't make a difference to their net worth? Why keep working as mercenaries, when they're basically the Neofan Freehold's military arm?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

The plot demands it!
and
SHUT UP!!

:twisted:

Seriously though? Why would you want to risk your ass, when you wealthy at obscene levels? I'd be in the pool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:28 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Probably because of some combination of they need something to do to keep from being bored, they can choose jobs that will do some good in the long run, with proper backups the actual risk is low, and the fact that they are the kind of people who like to go out and shoot things.

I mean consider the fact that Petey offered them all retirement, and they went on to help the Oafans anyway. If they wanted to lounge around in the pool all day they had the option even before they became obscenely rich. And before that when about half of the Toughs quit because they weren't seeing enough combat.

As for why they ask to be paid. The money is an indicator of how much the job is worth to their employer. They aren't a charity and their time is not unlimited. So being paid helps distinguish between different contracts. Plus some of them may be considering the fact that with immortality it's always a good plan to stockpile more assets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
Probably because of some combination of they need something to do to keep from being bored... some of them may be considering the fact that with immortality it's always a good plan to stockpile more assets.

It's those two things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

kham wrote:
Seriously though? Why would you want to risk your ass, when you wealthy at obscene levels? I'd be in the pool

Because the type of people the Toughts hire are the sort that enjoy fighting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:29 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sure, sure - so why are they quibbling about money? The conversation is literally:
"We want you to recover something worth so much that anybody would steal it. We want YOU because you don't care about money."

"Sure, but give us more money to do that."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Sure, sure - so why are they quibbling about money? The conversation is literally:
"We want you to recover something worth so much that anybody would steal it. We want YOU because you don't care about money."

"Sure, but give us more money to do that."

They want to be paid what the job is worth. The aren't considering that it's knowledge the job would give them is the problem, not the difficulty of the task. Then again, keeping secrets is probably a also fine reason to ask for extra pay.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yeah, but the money literally doesn't mean anything to them. Nobody can pay them enough to matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, but the money literally doesn't mean anything to them. Nobody can pay them enough to matter.

It's what they do. And if they never did anything they didn't have to do, they wouldn't be ready for the battles that really matter. Asking for money is a barrier from just being hit up by every charity case that could use some muscle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:38 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

There are a number of reasons to charge high . . . Though I can only think of three at the moment. (The other two escaped while I was writing the first two down.)

1) Reputation/pride: "We are so good that someone paid us ten million billion dollars to do a job."

2) People generally don't value free stuff. If they pay through the nose for it, they value it.

3) Intimidation: prospective opponents are so intimidated at the idea of fighting someone that the principal thinks is worth paying ten million billion dollars that the opponents make suboptimal choices and fight poorly . . . if at all.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
Intimidation

Not saying you're wrong, but there's much better reasons to be intimidated by the guys with the incredible reputation and advanced technological backing. And just imagine if they knew about the long guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:30 am 
Intern
Intern

Psychology. If you ask someone to draw a bunch of circles, they draw the same amount when doing it for free and when doing it for $20, but do far fewer circles if paid $5. And the Toughs won't work for free, unless maybe for a friend that asks nicely and is definitely not a manipulative Psychobear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I'm fairly sure their wealth comes from their stocks, and that Tagons' Toughs owns a portion of the Oafan Freehold. So in order to pay for wages, materiel etc they would have to divest that property. Much better for the company to have actual income.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

In other words, they're working for fluid assets because most of their assets are frozen and they want to preserve the frozen assets.

That makes sense too.

Obviously, I don't think there's just one reason . . . and the reasons probably vary from one individual to another.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:40 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Does anyone outside the officer corps apart from Schlock even have shares?

Actually, Schlock might be one of the richest sophonts in the galaxy now...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Alternatively, anyone who's willing to throw around that much money is likely to be involved in something that's going to affect the galaxy as a whole, and therefore will be of interest to Petey, and the Toughs. They seem to have a vested interest in helping the galaxy as a whole now.

Considering that this both is working on a narrative and a practical scale, it's a pretty effective tactic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:28 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

If it were possible to place a value on the coupon book, Murtaugh would probably be second only to Petey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:

(A) Money is more than purchasing power. It's also a way to keep score, if my employer had given me a small pay cut at the start of the new year rather than a small pay raise, I'd have given my notice; I could live with a lower pay rate, but a pay cut or lack of pay is a way of expressing a lack of appreciation, and I've got better things to do than do work my employer doesn't care enough about to pay for it.

(I have a friend who did this recently, her employer cut her pay, she gave notice, they were shocked that she quit over a small pay cut; she was shocked that they didn't understand that their pay-cut was telling her "we don't care about you enough to pay what you're worth.")

(B) The Toughs are competitive, they want to "win", money is a way of keeping score and working for less than you're worth is losing. It doesn't matter that they can afford to "lose" the negotiation because they aren't in this to lose at all.

They'd no more work for too little because the money doesn't matter, than I'd throw a game of bridge or poker or spades because the stakes are only points or pennies and don't actually matter to anything. I want to win because I enjoy winning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

There is definitely something to be said for staying busy... it is quite the common tale about the guy that works hard, retires, then ... pretty much just dies due to not having anything to do.

Admittedly, do you really need an excuse for boom and thooom - and then get paid as well? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

An Old Ore wrote:
There is definitely something to be said for staying busy... it is quite the common tale about the guy that works hard, retires, then ... pretty much just dies due to not having anything to do.

Admittedly, do you really need an excuse for boom and thooom - and then get paid as well? :D

There are a number of studies that show exactly that. http://ftp.iza.org/dp5160.pdf cites a 13% increase in the chance of dying before age 67 for people who took early retirement 3.5 years earlier than normal.

One classic source is from the Social Security Journal way back in 1954. The conclusion states:
Quote:
Analysis of the mortality experience under various pension programs -government and private-indicates clearly that, in the absence of any special circumstances, the mortality rates for voluntarily retired workers during the first year or two of retirement are considerably higher than the general level that otherwise might be expected

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Umm ... what is with the date of this thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Genuine typo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Genuine typo.

Oh, good. Because it didn't SEEM like June 23, (Mendel 2).
Or was it supposed to mean August 2, (Archimedes 13)?
Either way, it's only year 48 anyway, so why the date should be for 1969 years from now, I wouldn't know.
Good to know it's still using the Gregorian calendar, and is just a typo.