The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 672
It's a good point. And why ask for more money because the task is hard, if that money won't make a difference to their net worth? Why keep working as mercenaries, when they're basically the Neofan Freehold's military arm?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 pm
Posts: 154
The plot demands it!
and
SHUT UP!!

:twisted:

Seriously though? Why would you want to risk your ass, when you wealthy at obscene levels? I'd be in the pool


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:28 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 365
Probably because of some combination of they need something to do to keep from being bored, they can choose jobs that will do some good in the long run, with proper backups the actual risk is low, and the fact that they are the kind of people who like to go out and shoot things.

I mean consider the fact that Petey offered them all retirement, and they went on to help the Oafans anyway. If they wanted to lounge around in the pool all day they had the option even before they became obscenely rich. And before that when about half of the Toughs quit because they weren't seeing enough combat.

As for why they ask to be paid. The money is an indicator of how much the job is worth to their employer. They aren't a charity and their time is not unlimited. So being paid helps distinguish between different contracts. Plus some of them may be considering the fact that with immortality it's always a good plan to stockpile more assets.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2237
Arcanestomper wrote:
Probably because of some combination of they need something to do to keep from being bored... some of them may be considering the fact that with immortality it's always a good plan to stockpile more assets.

It's those two things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:35 pm
Posts: 238
kham wrote:
Seriously though? Why would you want to risk your ass, when you wealthy at obscene levels? I'd be in the pool

Because the type of people the Toughts hire are the sort that enjoy fighting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 672
Sure, sure - so why are they quibbling about money? The conversation is literally:
"We want you to recover something worth so much that anybody would steal it. We want YOU because you don't care about money."

"Sure, but give us more money to do that."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 144
JohnSmith wrote:
Sure, sure - so why are they quibbling about money? The conversation is literally:
"We want you to recover something worth so much that anybody would steal it. We want YOU because you don't care about money."

"Sure, but give us more money to do that."

They want to be paid what the job is worth. The aren't considering that it's knowledge the job would give them is the problem, not the difficulty of the task. Then again, keeping secrets is probably a also fine reason to ask for extra pay.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 672
Yeah, but the money literally doesn't mean anything to them. Nobody can pay them enough to matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 144
JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, but the money literally doesn't mean anything to them. Nobody can pay them enough to matter.

It's what they do. And if they never did anything they didn't have to do, they wouldn't be ready for the battles that really matter. Asking for money is a barrier from just being hit up by every charity case that could use some muscle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:38 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 583
Location: Land of the webbed feet
There are a number of reasons to charge high . . . Though I can only think of three at the moment. (The other two escaped while I was writing the first two down.)

1) Reputation/pride: "We are so good that someone paid us ten million billion dollars to do a job."

2) People generally don't value free stuff. If they pay through the nose for it, they value it.

3) Intimidation: prospective opponents are so intimidated at the idea of fighting someone that the principal thinks is worth paying ten million billion dollars that the opponents make suboptimal choices and fight poorly . . . if at all.


--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 144
FreeFlier wrote:
Intimidation

Not saying you're wrong, but there's much better reasons to be intimidated by the guys with the incredible reputation and advanced technological backing. And just imagine if they knew about the long guns.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:30 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1031
Psychology. If you ask someone to draw a bunch of circles, they draw the same amount when doing it for free and when doing it for $20, but do far fewer circles if paid $5. And the Toughs won't work for free, unless maybe for a friend that asks nicely and is definitely not a manipulative Psychobear.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 am 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 am
Posts: 31
I'm fairly sure their wealth comes from their stocks, and that Tagons' Toughs owns a portion of the Oafan Freehold. So in order to pay for wages, materiel etc they would have to divest that property. Much better for the company to have actual income.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 583
Location: Land of the webbed feet
In other words, they're working for fluid assets because most of their assets are frozen and they want to preserve the frozen assets.

That makes sense too.

Obviously, I don't think there's just one reason . . . and the reasons probably vary from one individual to another.

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:40 am 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 am
Posts: 31
Does anyone outside the officer corps apart from Schlock even have shares?

Actually, Schlock might be one of the richest sophonts in the galaxy now...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 516
Alternatively, anyone who's willing to throw around that much money is likely to be involved in something that's going to affect the galaxy as a whole, and therefore will be of interest to Petey, and the Toughs. They seem to have a vested interest in helping the galaxy as a whole now.

Considering that this both is working on a narrative and a practical scale, it's a pretty effective tactic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 340
If it were possible to place a value on the coupon book, Murtaugh would probably be second only to Petey.

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 244
JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, but the money literally doesn't mean anything to them. Nobody can pay them enough to matter.

(A) Money is more than purchasing power. It's also a way to keep score, if my employer had given me a small pay cut at the start of the new year rather than a small pay raise, I'd have given my notice; I could live with a lower pay rate, but a pay cut or lack of pay is a way of expressing a lack of appreciation, and I've got better things to do than do work my employer doesn't care enough about to pay for it.

(I have a friend who did this recently, her employer cut her pay, she gave notice, they were shocked that she quit over a small pay cut; she was shocked that they didn't understand that their pay-cut was telling her "we don't care about you enough to pay what you're worth.")

(B) The Toughs are competitive, they want to "win", money is a way of keeping score and working for less than you're worth is losing. It doesn't matter that they can afford to "lose" the negotiation because they aren't in this to lose at all.

They'd no more work for too little because the money doesn't matter, than I'd throw a game of bridge or poker or spades because the stakes are only points or pennies and don't actually matter to anything. I want to win because I enjoy winning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:23 pm
Posts: 667
Location: Perth! Marketability: Nil.
There is definitely something to be said for staying busy... it is quite the common tale about the guy that works hard, retires, then ... pretty much just dies due to not having anything to do.

Admittedly, do you really need an excuse for boom and thooom - and then get paid as well? :D

_________________
Using Ubutnu! Go the Penguin!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 pm 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:17 pm
Posts: 28
An Old Ore wrote:
There is definitely something to be said for staying busy... it is quite the common tale about the guy that works hard, retires, then ... pretty much just dies due to not having anything to do.

Admittedly, do you really need an excuse for boom and thooom - and then get paid as well? :D


There are a number of studies that show exactly that. http://ftp.iza.org/dp5160.pdf cites a 13% increase in the chance of dying before age 67 for people who took early retirement 3.5 years earlier than normal.

One classic source is from the Social Security Journal way back in 1954. The conclusion states:
Quote:
Analysis of the mortality experience under various pension programs -government and private-indicates clearly that, in the absence of any special circumstances, the mortality rates for voluntarily retired workers during the first year or two of retirement are considerably higher than the general level that otherwise might be expected


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 340
Umm ... what is with the date of this thread?

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 672
Genuine typo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 344
JohnSmith wrote:
Genuine typo.


Oh, good. Because it didn't SEEM like June 23, (Mendel 2).
Or was it supposed to mean August 2, (Archimedes 13)?
Either way, it's only year 48 anyway, so why the date should be for 1969 years from now, I wouldn't know.
Good to know it's still using the Gregorian calendar, and is just a typo.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group