The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:50 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Some people will be upset with my bringing hard science to a science fiction web comic. But I am.

So recently, I saw a video on the question of whether it was actually possible to clone something or not. This was looking at the quantum state.

There were three different cases being looked at. In each case, the machine that did it was considered a black box, and only basic properties of the state could be used.

Case one was a production machine. If you can understand something well enough to replicate it, then you can make lots of it. Fine. But that requires understanding it well enough. Total information content of a 180 lb animal? (Lots). Trying to use this to make lots of copies of a unique something? Nope.

Case two was teleportation of a quantum state, and case three was cloning the state. And there were a few basic properties.

One was superposition. A quantum state could be considered the sum of a bunch of states.

Then there were other mathematical properties as well.

The point is, trying to clone a state turned out to be saying that A^2 + B^2 = (a + b)^2, or requiring the 2ab term to be 0. This was a hitch that teleportation did not run into.

So, what about those gatekeeper teleport + duplication thingies? Can you, while teleporting something, make two different destinations? I don't know. Could you make 950 million destinations? ... I don't know.

Can you make 950 million destination copies and not destroy the original?

That's cloning.

Basically, the Gav, as shown/introduced, cannot possibly happen without violating quantum mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owPC60Ue0BE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:00 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I think it's pretty explicitly the first case. You can't just say nope to it, even if it's mind boggingly difficult. The Gavs in particular, that machine got a huge data dump whenever something entered the portal, and sent that out to be rebuilt at the other ends. I imagine some impressive compression is order here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:59 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I imagine theres quite a bit of standardness happening behind the scenes. You don't necessarily need all umpteen squidjillion bits of data that dictates how quadrillions of calcium molecules are formed, just where they go. I imagine there's a basic human template in the gate cloning software that just gets altered to fit the data coming through. Certain patterns are flagged to not be applied, everything that isn't flagged goes through and is applied to the template.

There's a LOT of redundant, 'junk' information in the universe that can be safely ignored or standardized.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Quantum cloning is very different from 'copying a brain well enough that it's impossible to distinguish the two people.'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:53 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I doubt the Gatekeepers care about the precise state of the subatomic particles of a thing to be copied. They probably track molecules and isotopic makeup at most.

I would also point out that it's obviously fundamentally possible to store the total information content in at most 180lbs, because all that information is present in a Gav.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

(name here) wrote:

I would also point out that it's obviously fundamentally possible to store the total information content in at most 180lbs, because all that information is present in a Gav.

But it's fundamentally impossible to copy that total information content. That's what that video is saying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
But it's fundamentally impossible to copy that total information content. That's what that video is saying.

You should also note that schlock mercenary isn't the hardest of sci fi. There's only so far you can argue real science here.