The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm not used to shots being fired this early in a new book.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

So, this is a new characterization.
Since when did the head of the Parkour bunch become an idiot? Much less, a couch potato idiot?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

He's talking about authors born literally over a thousand years ago for him. That's a lot like one of us talking about authors born in the middle ages and getting confused as to the fact that some of them were not contemporaries. Frankly the fact that he can reference them at all is pretty good. The only people we've really seen be accurate about what is contemporary for us are the AIs, Liz who has a degree in that, and Gav who was cryogenically frozen. Almost everyone else who's tried to make those references has typically gotten the details wrong.

To me he sounds like someone who has browsed internet forums/wikipedia for fun and picked up a bunch of random trivia that isn't necessarily accurate. Which doesn't contradict being a accurate and professional in his actual job.

Last edited by Arcanestomper on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
Which doesn't contradict being a accurate and professional in his actual job.

Yup. Like a lot of younger professionals I know today, he doesn't bother memorizing things he can just look up and that aren't exactly important to his field of work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
He's talking about authors born literally over a thousand years ago for him. That's a lot like one of us talking about authors born in the middle ages and getting confused as to the fact that some of them were not contemporaries. Frankly the fact that he can reference them at all is pretty good. The only people we've really seen be accurate about what is contemporary for us are the AIs, Liz who has a degree in that, and Gav who was cryogenically frozen. Pretty everyone else who's tried to make those references has typically gotten the details wrong.

To me he sounds like someone who has browsed internet forums/wikipedia for fun and picked up a bunch of random trivia that isn't necessarily accurate. Which doesn't contradict being a accurate and professional in his actual job.

I had forgotten about the pants/airlock reference. Thank you for reminding me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Actually while Rosencratz and Guildenstern are characters from Hamlet the "are Hobbits" part sounds like a reference to "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead," which is a derivative play written by another guy in the 20th century. And honestly the only reason I even know that is because I had to read it in Highschool, and I don't remember who it was that wrote it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:28 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Actually while Rosencratz and Guildenstern are characters from Hamlet the "are Hobbits" part sounds like a reference to "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead," which is a derivative play written by another guy in the 20th century. And honestly the only reason I even know that is because I had to read it in Highschool, and I don't remember who it was that wrote it.

Tom Stoppard, he's done a lot of other stuff, including major motion pictures but R&G are Dead was his first big hit. It's referenced in the third post in this thread, and the "Player vs. Narrative" makes it quite clear that that it's the Stoppard Play, not the Shakespeare play that's being referenced.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:37 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Hmm... The toughs have a problem... Liz is a resource who is doing amazingly well in her current job, but would probably be just as important/useful applying her memeticist knowledge toward intel/pshychowarfare...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 am 
Intern
Intern

technojunkie wrote:
Hmm... The toughs have a problem... Liz is a resource who is doing amazingly well in her current job, but would probably be just as important/useful applying her memeticist knowledge toward intel/pshychowarfare...

Well I'm sure there's lots of openings, she just has to apply. Which she might as well have done now, considering Flinders is in the room.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:10 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
Which doesn't contradict being a accurate and professional in his actual job.

Yup. Like a lot of younger professionals I know today, he doesn't bother memorizing things he can just look up and that aren't exactly important to his field of work.

Yesterday, someone from the current generation posted how they were disappointed with other Millennials... they seem to ignore any knowledge that doesn't directly benefit them.. plus a fair bit about lacking the social graces.

If they can't make money off of it, if they have nothing to gain from knowing something, then what's the point?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:32 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

0z79 wrote:
If they can't make money off of it, if they have nothing to gain from knowing something, then what's the point?

Two things:

One - Just because you cannot see a need for some piece of specific knowledge does not mean there will never be a need for that knowledge when one is bereft of goggle.

Blue - Understanding how to make face time (ie the social graces) is supremely important to getting ahead in the world. If you can't make friends, all you will make is enemies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
0z79 wrote:

Two things:

One - Just because you cannot see a need for some piece of specific knowledge does not mean there will never be a need for that knowledge when one is bereft of goggle.

Blue - Understanding how to make face time (ie the social graces) is supremely important to getting ahead in the world. If you can't make friends, all you will make is enemies.

I was commenting on their mindset, not my own. Mine is precisely the opposite and I'll thank you very much to keep that in mind.

Mr. Moderator. Sir. :fadein:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

0z79 wrote:

There was that Johannes guy. He revolutionized the world, and I highly doubt he had profits in mind when he did it. How lucky we are that he didn't go "Meh fuck it, what's the point?"

I am, of course, talking about the printing press. Maybe those folks you're talking about could think about that - provided they can see further than their own nose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:19 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Restless Soul wrote:
0z79 wrote:

There was that Johannes guy. He revolutionized the world, and I highly doubt he had profits in mind when he did it. How lucky we are that he didn't go "Meh fuck it, what's the point?"

I am, of course, talking about the printing press. Maybe those folks you're talking about could think about that - provided they can see further than their own nose.

Actually, he did have profits in mind, he'd just had a business failure (do to the event he was working toward being rescheduled) and was looking for a way to make up his losses.

The R&D effort was expensive enough that it was only possible with church support, and he still went bankrupt at least once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

technojunkie wrote:

I don't think the toughs are in a position to make use of that skillset, if Liz was even interested in that application. Petey is more up that alley, but I doubt he needs the help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Could we cut the 'millennials' crap, please and thank you? It's just a good way to talk shit about a group of people, like saying something along the lines of "baby boomers are entitled twats who wrecked the planet and complain about other generations."

People are people, and they don't change much. As a group, we're all selfish, lazy and like to complain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:44 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Doug Lampert wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Tom Stoppard, he's done a lot of other stuff, including major motion pictures but R&G are Dead was his first big hit. It's referenced in the third post in this thread, and the "Player vs. Narrative" makes it quite clear that that it's the Stoppard Play, not the Shakespeare play that's being referenced.

This thread? I made the third post, and I don't think I referenced him. Although it was referenced in the thread previous to this one, but I didn't read that until after I posted here. Actually I did know the details about Stoppard, but honestly only because I checked wikipedia to refresh my memory. So I didn't think it counted for "random trivia I happen to know."

Anyway I mention it because Trevor has not. Which means his offhand knowledge is even more incorrect than is immediately apparent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Could we cut the 'millennials' crap, please and thank you? It's just a good way to talk shit about a group of people, like saying something along the lines of "baby boomers are entitled twats who wrecked the planet and complain about other generations."

People are people, and they don't change much. As a group, we're all selfish, lazy and like to complain.

It's the way those traits, any traits, are expressed and the way they change over time.

Personally, I don't think it's OK for a group to invade a person's space in a common area, then act like they're the ones being put out when that person says "hello". The person I'd been speaking with, himself born in the mid-90s, had seen the same behavior from his peers and agreed that it was rude.

Maybe people aren't any more prone to narcissism and clique-ism than they've always been.. but being born in 1979 and watched the way people have behaved between 2007 to 2017, more people are looking down at their devices, up towards each other and are generally much more insular.

Just like boomers are regarded as "greedy" for holding onto what they were told to work hard for and hold onto with both hands.. that's the way it was when growing up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:16 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

0z79 wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

It's the way those traits, any traits, are expressed and the way they change over time.

Personally, I don't think it's OK for a group to invade a person's space in a common area, then act like they're the ones being put out when that person says "hello". The person I'd been speaking with, himself born in the mid-90s, had seen the same behavior from his peers and agreed that it was rude.

Maybe people aren't any more prone to narcissism and clique-ism than they've always been.. but being born in 1979 and watched the way people have behaved between 2007 to 2017, more people are looking down at their devices, up towards each other and are generally much more insular.

Just like boomers are regarded as "greedy" for holding onto what they were told to work hard for and hold onto with both hands.. that's the way it was when growing up.

Given that I've seen the exact same behavior from people twenty years older than me I would not say that it so much a millenial trait as it is a product of the proliferation of smart phones.

Also I feel this topic is more and more likely to make people mad while contributing very little to the discussion about the actual comic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:49 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
0z79 wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

Given that I've seen the exact same behavior from people twenty years older than me I would not say that it so much a millenial trait as it is a product of the proliferation of smart phones.

Also I feel this topic is more and more likely to make people mad while contributing very little to the discussion about the actual comic.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time discussing pretty harsh subject matter, it's easy to forget that on most of the internet, people don't want to hash stuff like this out.

I get so spoiled, talking with people who can keep a cool head while discussing controversial stuff without picking sides.. and I'm on a comic forum so, yeah.

EDIT: You were right in pointing out that it's more of a smartphone thing than anything else; which, of course, just makes me grumble about "freakin' n00bs". I'm VERY CRABBY. Sorry, I try to watch that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:47 am 
Janitor
Janitor

0z79 wrote:
I was commenting on their mindset, not my own.

As was I. In more of a "here's a statement not aimed at anyone in particular" style.

Quote:
Mine is precisely the opposite and I'll thank you very much to keep that in mind.

Eh... I'll forget in a few minutes. Trust me.

Quote:
Mr. Moderator. Sir. :fadein:

Bah, no mod voice here. I just coat check people at the door.

0z79 wrote:
Yeah, I spend a lot of time discussing pretty harsh subject matter, it's easy to forget that on most of the internet, people don't want to hash stuff like this out.

I hope this never becomes a "safe space"... a "speak to each other decently space" is my preference.

Quote:
EDIT: You were right in pointing out that it's more of a smartphone thing than anything else; which, of course, just makes me grumble about "freakin' n00bs". I'm VERY CRABBY. Sorry, I try to watch that.

For me it's not the cellphone, so much as it's the "attention span"?

For example a buddy of mine's nephew will be watching a movie on the tv, watching youtube on his laptop, playing a game on phone, doing something on his tablet, all at the same time. It comes across to us as though he isn't bothering to pay attention to anything in particular.

/goes outside to shake his cane at the hoodlums looking at his lawn

[EDIT]
I make that joke, as I usually do, and it suddenly dawns on me... I have a lawn. Not like "ah finally, I have a lawn, I'm all grown up now", but in the "oh no, I have a lawn, I'm an adult" sense of dread.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
[/EDIT]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:49 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Best way to chase kids off your lawn: with a lawnmower, not a cane.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:21 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

dire wrote:
Best way to chase kids off your lawn: with a lawnmower, not a cane.

As a fully qualified old duffer, I once chased vandals off my lawn by grabbing one of their adult-size bicycles and swinging it wildly around in the air while screeching. Instinct is a funny thing.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff