The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017-01-24: Brain Food
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:17 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

... as in, "food that contains RED-encoded biomatter which, after ingestion and digestion, can hijack and overwrite a person"?
I think our Intel officer may have just considered the possibility for the first time.

The future is getting scarier all the time.

Last edited by StClair on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I... had not thought of that. But that is horrifying... well, horrifying all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

That really doesn't sound any different than using nanobots to hack red backups. And I'm sure they're hardened against that. It's just a different delivery method.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It represents a (possible - still just me speculating) new vector, which may not be guarded against, or not completely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:24 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I'll just say that if they didn't harden their defenses against someone using food as a vector, then they are really holding the idiot ball. I mean food has been a vector for poison, disease, parasites, etc since all those things first existed. It should be hardened against shortly after you protect against someone jabbing you with a needle.

Putting something equally speculative out there. What if she is considering the possibility of something eating a person's brain and gaining their memories. This would explain why the crew that found the stellar envelope went rogue. If instead of it being them something inside the artifact ate them and then used their memories to stage the theft, or from its perspective a break out.

Another thought. Does this particular species of alien actually have the immortality treatment. It was originally developed for humans, and Petey modified it for aliens. But the aliens we know he did that for were the ones in the Toughs. These aliens aren't part of the UNS so it wouldn't have gotten out that way. And even if the Oafa, as Petey's agents, were just giving it out to everybody there are a lot of aliens in the galaxy. It can't have reached everyone yet.