The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 625
Aqueous!

Yeah, probably not, but it's the only other place in the comic (that I remember) that has the word "acquiesce" in it.

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:15 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 333
Not willing to give in.
Basically, a complicated euphemism, probably for willing to fight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:39 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 pm
Posts: 176
It means no.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 473
Location: Eugene, OR
Nemoricus has got it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:07 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 540
Location: Land of the webbed feet
Nemoricus wrote:
StClair wrote:
Nemoricus has got it.

Yep.

Acquiesce means roughly consent, or yes, so if you decline to acquiesce, you're declining to consent (to whatever the other party wants).

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 277
FreeFlier wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:
StClair wrote:
Nemoricus has got it.

Yep.

Acquiesce means roughly consent, or yes, so if you decline to acquiesce, you're declining to consent (to whatever the other party wants).

--FreeFlier


The word here is "disinclined" not "declined". The meaning is similar, but "disinclined" means unwilling or reluctant. Basically the phrase means "I don't want to say yes", which isn't quite the same as "no".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 625
I want to thank those who included definitions. Yes, I knew what the word meant already, but I can see why the thread title might be confusing, and might look like I was asking for definitions help. :)

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 946
Disinclined: unwilling; reluctant.
to: you should know this word.
Acquiesce: "accept something reluctantly but without protest."

So: "(Reluctant) to (accept something reluctantly but without protest)."

Eliminate the double negatives: "Reluctant to accept something reluctantly but without protest."

Result: "To accept something but with protest"

AKA "I'll do it but I'm going to whine about it"

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:21 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 118
grahamf wrote:
Disinclined: unwilling; reluctant.
to: you should know this word.
Acquiesce: "accept something reluctantly but without protest."

So: "(Reluctant) to (accept something reluctantly but without protest)."

Eliminate the double negatives: "Reluctant to accept something reluctantly but without protest."

Result: "To accept something but with protest"

AKA "I'll do it but I'm going to whine about it"

I don't think it works that way. Acquiesce is accepting with certain added context, reversing it means "not accepting" it doesn't reverse the context.

As a whole, it literally means "I don't want to do this thing." It doesn't say you absolutely won't, but it doesn't say you will. However the actual explanation of it meaning "no" points to it being an overly polite and roundabout method of refusal. Basically it equates to saying "I'd rather not".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 625
ExenTrik wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Disinclined: unwilling; reluctant.
to: you should know this word.
Acquiesce: "accept something reluctantly but without protest."

So: "(Reluctant) to (accept something reluctantly but without protest)."

Eliminate the double negatives: "Reluctant to accept something reluctantly but without protest."

Result: "To accept something but with protest"

AKA "I'll do it but I'm going to whine about it"

I don't think it works that way. Acquiesce is accepting with certain added context, reversing it means "not accepting" it doesn't reverse the context.

As a whole, it literally means "I don't want to do this thing." It doesn't say you absolutely won't, but it doesn't say you will. However the actual explanation of it meaning "no" points to it being an overly polite and roundabout method of refusal. Basically it equates to saying "I'd rather not".

In light of today's strip (Jan 27), this is what it looks like to me as well. 'Chelle is pending the recruitment for Tagon's decision, but she's leaving Kaff an indication as to where she stands on the issue. And it sounds like this phrasing may have become fairly standardized across the Toughs.

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:21 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 252
Black Sheep wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Disinclined: unwilling; reluctant.
to: you should know this word.
Acquiesce: "accept something reluctantly but without protest."

So: "(Reluctant) to (accept something reluctantly but without protest)."

Eliminate the double negatives: "Reluctant to accept something reluctantly but without protest."

Result: "To accept something but with protest"

AKA "I'll do it but I'm going to whine about it"

I don't think it works that way. Acquiesce is accepting with certain added context, reversing it means "not accepting" it doesn't reverse the context.

As a whole, it literally means "I don't want to do this thing." It doesn't say you absolutely won't, but it doesn't say you will. However the actual explanation of it meaning "no" points to it being an overly polite and roundabout method of refusal. Basically it equates to saying "I'd rather not".

In light of today's strip (Jan 27), this is what it looks like to me as well. 'Chelle is pending the recruitment for Tagon's decision, but she's leaving Kaff an indication as to where she stands on the issue. And it sounds like this phrasing may have become fairly standardized across the Toughs.


'disinclined to acquiesce' basically means 'I don't wanna, but maybe you can talk me into it'.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group