The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1047
Even if you can distract people with your upper arms it's still impolite

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:44 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 150
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:53 am 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2276
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?

Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 144
....Huh.

And possibly, eww.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 598
Location: Land of the webbed feet
evileeyore wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?
Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.

Silent and no electronic emissions.

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:14 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1047
FreeFlier wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?
Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.

Silent and no electronic emissions.

--FreeFlier

No better than directional lasers.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:38 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 598
Location: Land of the webbed feet
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?
evileeyore wrote:
Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.
FreeFlier wrote:
Silent and no electronic emissions.
grahamf wrote:
No better than directional lasers.

Aside from not needing electronic equipment, if there's no electricity, then electricity cannot be detected.

I can think of a number of tactical environments where this kind of speech would be very useful.

Remember, not all of the Tough's assignments have been on a battlefield . . . or at least, they started undercover. Two people holding hands quietly walking down the street . . . very few will think anything at all about it.

If you detect that they're communicating with each other over stealthed milspec equipment, OTOH, you're going to want to know why . . .

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 150
FreeFlier wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?
evileeyore wrote:
Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.
FreeFlier wrote:
Silent and no electronic emissions.
grahamf wrote:
No better than directional lasers.

Aside from not needing electronic equipment, if there's no electricity, then electricity cannot be detected.

I can think of a number of tactical environments where this kind of speech would be very useful.

Remember, not all of the Tough's assignments have been on a battlefield . . . or at least, they started undercover. Two people holding hands quietly walking down the street . . . very few will think anything at all about it.

If you detect that they're communicating with each other over stealthed milspec equipment, OTOH, you're going to want to know why . . .

--FreeFlier

Maybe, but that's not combat. We're missing something important.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:38 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 150
ExenTrik wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?
evileeyore wrote:
Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.
FreeFlier wrote:
Silent and no electronic emissions.
grahamf wrote:
No better than directional lasers.

Aside from not needing electronic equipment, if there's no electricity, then electricity cannot be detected.

I can think of a number of tactical environments where this kind of speech would be very useful.

Remember, not all of the Tough's assignments have been on a battlefield . . . or at least, they started undercover. Two people holding hands quietly walking down the street . . . very few will think anything at all about it.

If you detect that they're communicating with each other over stealthed milspec equipment, OTOH, you're going to want to know why . . .

--FreeFlier

Maybe, but that's not combat. We're missing something important.

By Gum I have it! Thumb Wars.

_________________
The difference between theory and practice is that theories seldom involve people screaming in terror.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1047
FreeFlier wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this is applicable in combat. Just a matter of acting in sync?
evileeyore wrote:
Silent communication is always a useful skill.

How useful in the Toughverse is maybe up for debate... but it may be possible to use like a hand-shake version of sign language.
FreeFlier wrote:
Silent and no electronic emissions.
grahamf wrote:
No better than directional lasers.

Aside from not needing electronic equipment, if there's no electricity, then electricity cannot be detected.

I can think of a number of tactical environments where this kind of speech would be very useful.

Remember, not all of the Tough's assignments have been on a battlefield . . . or at least, they started undercover. Two people holding hands quietly walking down the street . . . very few will think anything at all about it.

If you detect that they're communicating with each other over stealthed milspec equipment, OTOH, you're going to want to know why . . .

--FreeFlier

Properly shielded electronics do not produce easily detectable emissions. It may be possible, but you would need very sensitive equipment while ignoring background radiation.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 598
Location: Land of the webbed feet
To communicate you must either have a physical connection or emit some kind of radiating energy . . . and basic physics tells us that radiated energy scatters.

Since the receiver relies on detecting said emissions, then they are de facto detectable.

The stronger the emission, the easier it is to detect, and conversely, the weaker the emission the harder to detect. Given equal technology, more sensitive receivers and antennae are physically larger. Naturally, this applies to both the intended receiver and the intercepting/detecting receiver.

Then the K.I.S.S. principle kicks in.

Basically, this is a simple, very low-emissions communications technique requiring no special equipment to arouse suspicions. If you think the Toughs can't use that capability . . .

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1047
The last time the Toughs had intruders on board, they just used thermal sensors. Not even stripping naked and flopping about would hide from that.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 598
Location: Land of the webbed feet
No, but that's a different case.

When the Toughs are doing something covert is when the hand-talk would be useful.

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:39 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1047
FreeFlier wrote:
No, but that's a different case.

When the Toughs are doing something covert is when the hand-talk would be useful.

--FreeFlier

The only conceivable use is for making a plan when face to face and talking with the enemy in a cold war type meeting.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:59 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 598
Location: Land of the webbed feet
No, there are others.

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:26 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:55 pm
Posts: 1266
Location: City of Brotherly Love
But how often would the Toughs even need such a capability? Their usual modus operandi is shooting people and breaking things. Real spies, (despite what you may see in James Bond movies) generally avoid shooting people and breaking things because that tends to draw unwanted attention which interferes with their more covert activities. The Toughs rarely do covert because it's "not in their wheelhouse" so to speak.

_________________
The MacNut
Artist and writer of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 598
Location: Land of the webbed feet
I never said they needed the capability, just that it would be useful.

Don't forget some of their past adventures . . . like doing security at a mall.

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 359
Don't forget, just recently they dealt with folks that had silent communication, and that gave them a disadvantage. Now, they will be able to use that to their advantage.

"Where do we aim"
"Where I'm pointing"

... well, maybe not :-)

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 150
keybounce wrote:
Don't forget, just recently they dealt with folks that had silent communication, and that gave them a disadvantage. Now, they will be able to use that to their advantage.

"Where do we aim"
"Where I'm pointing"

... well, maybe not :-)

It all depends on what gripspeak actually does, aside from being heavily encoded special handshakes. Best I can figure it allows extremely nuanced body language to convey information, so they can react to their motions and targeting before they actually do it.

How that extends from gripping is another matter altogether. They'd have to naturally be body reading savants, and the grip just gives them a feel for each other. But it's still kinda roundabout.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:01 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 359
Gripping ... hands ...

Suddenly, I'm thinking Moties ...

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-01-31: handsy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 684
ExenTrik wrote:
keybounce wrote:
Don't forget, just recently they dealt with folks that had silent communication, and that gave them a disadvantage. Now, they will be able to use that to their advantage.

"Where do we aim"
"Where I'm pointing"

... well, maybe not :-)

It all depends on what gripspeak actually does, aside from being heavily encoded special handshakes. Best I can figure it allows extremely nuanced body language to convey information, so they can react to their motions and targeting before they actually do it.

How that extends from gripping is another matter altogether. They'd have to naturally be body reading savants, and the grip just gives them a feel for each other. But it's still kinda roundabout.

I was thinking it is similar to ASL, but requiring physical contact. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me; human speech is basically heavily encoded sonic vibrations backed up by extremely nuanced body language.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group