The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

This bit with Cindy's name had me thinking, for all that he is treated as insensitive, Tagon seems to have an unprecedented amount of respect for AIs in general. Other military leaders seem to treat them more like subservient beings, but Tagon goes out of his way to treat them just like any other crew member, and he is generally pretty nice towards his crew.

I mean, letting the AI name the ship because he figures it factors into her identity, and in today's strip saying it doesn't matter how he feels about it and he won't override her, seems surprisingly progressive in the setting. Then again, maybe it is to be expected of the person that gave free reign to his ship to form the fleet-mind in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Kian wrote:
I mean, letting the AI name the ship because he figures it factors into her identity, and in today's strip saying it doesn't matter how he feels about it and he won't override her, seems surprisingly progressive in the setting.

It is, it's one of the things I've always liked about Tagon. He's conflicted about AIs (he started out not trusting them, the Kitesfear had a minimal AI at best*, etc), but over time he's grown to give up more and more of that fear and come to trust in synthetic personalities.

* It doesn't hurt that likely our Author has added to the background as time has gone on. I'm not even sure there were any AI before Ennesby moved into the Kitesfear.

Quote:
Then again, maybe it is to be expected of the person that gave free reign to his ship to form the fleet-mind in the first place.

I think you're misremembering that. He didn't give Ennesby free reign so much as Ennesby stole the ship and was then banned "from ever piloting any other ships Tagon ever owned". Which is why they installed TAG.

And for those wondering why there are "now" two identical threads... this one was posted first but was waiting on Posting Permissions, which I cleared this morning an hour after the second thread was created. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:30 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I dont know why you spent a week futzing around naming a ship, when it's just going to be reduced to molecular dust , like most of the rest of their ships end up :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:03 pm 
Intern
Intern

kham wrote:
I dont know why you spent a week futzing around naming a ship, when it's just going to be reduced to molecular dust , like most of the rest of their ships end up :twisted:

Who knows? Cindy has survived two hull changes. Maybe she'll be in this one for a long time?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Kian wrote:
This bit with Cindy's name had me thinking, for all that he is treated as insensitive, Tagon seems to have an unprecedented amount of respect for AIs in general. Other military leaders seem to treat them more like subservient beings, but Tagon goes out of his way to treat them just like any other crew member, and he is generally pretty nice towards his crew.

I mean, letting the AI name the ship because he figures it factors into her identity, and in today's strip saying it doesn't matter how he feels about it and he won't override her, seems surprisingly progressive in the setting. Then again, maybe it is to be expected of the person that gave free reign to his ship to form the fleet-mind in the first place.

Tell that to poor TAG http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2009-02-09 may he R.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:09 am 
Janitor
Janitor

ushio wrote:
Tell that to poor TAG http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2009-02-09 may he R.I.P.

Yup, that was back when he was still strongly in favor of less AI control in life. Also... it may be the same thing as ordering Doc Bunni or the Reverend to fix a broken soldier.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:57 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Cindy had better be ready to repeat that whole convoluted explanation every time someone asks about the name. Kaff may feel that he has understood now, but I doubt that he'll be able to make it understandable to others later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:42 pm 
Intern
Intern

Rombobjörn wrote:
Cindy had better be ready to repeat that whole convoluted explanation every time someone asks about the name. Kaff may feel that he has understood now, but I doubt that he'll be able to make it understandable to others later.

All they have to do is summarize the paraphrase.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:42 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Kian wrote:
Then again, maybe it is to be expected of the person that gave free reign to his ship to form the fleet-mind in the first place.

I think you're misremembering that. He didn't give Ennesby free reign so much as Ennesby stole the ship and was then banned "from ever piloting any other ships Tagon ever owned". Which is why they installed TAG.

They're probably talking about the first fleetmind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

That's the one. I couldn't find it in the archives.

Also, not long after he also made him an officer: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2002-09-18, and that is what allowed him to create the not-crazy backup that eventually became god-like Petey. Captain Tagon has done more to advance the rights of AIs than any human alive.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:58 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Omegatron wrote:

Ah right. I'd forgotten about that. I don't take that incident as "Tagon was being decent to an AI" so much as "Tagon never lets pride or bias get in the way of saving his bacon or earning money".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:15 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Aauuugh! Linking into old Schlock archives is worse than linking to TvTropes!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Omegatron wrote:

Ah right. I'd forgotten about that. I don't take that incident as "Tagon was being decent to an AI" so much as "Tagon never lets pride or bias get in the way of saving his bacon or earning money".

And it's that quality what makes him be decent to AI. Other commanders are either afraid or too proud to fully trust AIs. They know AIs are unfathomably more intelligent and powerful than they are, so they keep them shackled. In that situation, Tagon was the only captain to give his ship the freedom to do what was necessary. No other AI asked that of their captains, probably because they knew the answer already. Tagon is willing to trust AIs and let them use their full potential, even if it means giving up control. He trusts AIs as much as he trusts people, and that makes him be as decent (or violent) towards them as he is to people.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Kian wrote:
Tagon is willing to trust AIs and let them use their full potential, even if it means giving up control. He trusts AIs as much as he trusts people, and that makes him be as decent (or violent) towards them as he is to people.

My argument isn't that "he isn't that way now", it's "he wasn't that way then". He has slowly evolved his perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:35 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Kian wrote:
Tagon is willing to trust AIs and let them use their full potential, even if it means giving up control. He trusts AIs as much as he trusts people, and that makes him be as decent (or violent) towards them as he is to people.

My argument isn't that "he isn't that way now", it's "he wasn't that way then". He has slowly evolved his perspective.

I should point out that Tagon has just had his own identity challenged. He's always been decent, and now he's sympathetic.