The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Even in the far future, geeks won't let epics go of epics. The pun will stay in punishment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:27 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Who gets to be the splendid lucky number, then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:47 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I am mildly surprised that the same well-read man who even knew what a koala is missed a hobbit reference; but only mildly, since this is deep detail rather than high concept. Hey, even if he knew it, he could easily happen not to make the connection without straining my suspension of disbelief in the slightest.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I thought it was an Oceans 11 reference. Or more specifically, Oceans 13.

Hated the Hobbit. One and only book I got halfway through and just GAVE UP on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:06 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:

Maybe you could look into the animated version of it: I used to watch that over and over when I was a kid. From the perspective of someone who knows the original story the animated version is super-abridged, cutting out all sorts of important stuff, but it did tell the story in a way I found interesting, and it served its purpose in drawing my attention to the original. Tolkien's writing is dense: there's no question about that, and it can definitely be hard to get through, but it was also absolutely foundational for Fantasy as a modern genre.

Anyway, the simple explanation of the joke is that the original group of people for the adventure numbered 13, and the protagonist (who they hired to be their party's "burglar") was number 14: the lucky number.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:06 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Random Wanderer wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

Maybe you could look into the animated version of it: I used to watch that over and over when I was a kid. From the perspective of someone who knows the original story the animated version is super-abridged, cutting out all sorts of important stuff, but it did tell the story in a way I found interesting, and it served its purpose in drawing my attention to the original. Tolkien's writing is dense: there's no question about that, and it can definitely be hard to get through, but it was also absolutely foundational for Fantasy as a modern genre.

Anyway, the simple explanation of the joke is that the original group of people for the adventure numbered 13, and the protagonist (who they hired to be their party's "burglar") was number 14: the lucky number.

The Rankin-Bass one or the Bakshi abomination? I hate Bakshi even more than Tolkien. ....the Rankin-Bass one isn't that bad, but it still suffers from being Tolkien.

I don't begrudge Tolkien his status as the founder of modern fantasy. He could make worlds as good as God. But he couldn't write a story to save his life. 13 goddamn dwarves and only two of them even DO anything....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:39 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
Random Wanderer wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

The Rankin-Bass one or the Bakshi abomination? I hate Bakshi even more than Tolkien. ....the Rankin-Bass one isn't that bad, but it still suffers from being Tolkien.

I don't begrudge Tolkien his status as the founder of modern fantasy. He could make worlds as good as God. But he couldn't write a story to save his life. 13 goddamn dwarves and only two of them even DO anything....

Rankin-Bass is the one I'm referring to. I wasn't actually familiar with the Bakshi one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:53 pm 
Intern
Intern

Rankin Bass? Did the family take on trance music now?