The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Wow, Breya doesn't trust Tagon's Toughts at all. Because seriously, personal connection or not, that restriction is aimed at them. Unless ... Int-Aff-Int screwed up somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Well... that decree does seem to be somewhat justified given that the toughs brazenly teraported billions of tons of material through multiple UNS T.A.D. fields using neoafan freehold ships...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Not strictly them I think, but rather anybody who might have possession of an Oafan hull. The Oafa have demonstrated the ability to put gigantic teraport cages that can't be detected and countered inside spaceships. Since one assumes that the UNS doesn't have enough information to be sure which Oafan ships have that capability, the only way to enforce Teraport Area Denial is to keep every Oafan hull outside the zone you're trying to secure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Windscion wrote:
Wow, Breya doesn't trust Tagon's Toughts at all. Because seriously, personal connection or not, that restriction is aimed at them. Unless ... Int-Aff-Int screwed up somehow.

Breya's not saying that the Tough's can't visit... just that they can't bring PTU hulls with them when they do it.

At least two of the boats from that battleship's complement are non-PTU hulls, and those would probably be allowed to continue deeper into the Sol system, so the Breath Weapon can act as mothership from her current position.

I can think of a couple of reasons for this new policy...

1. Breya doesn't want giant unstoppable teraport cages inside her perimeter.
2. Breya doesn't want to be constantly chasing pirate fleets away from the PTU's.
3. Breya doesn't trust hulls she can't easily scan through.
4. Breya is trying to file a diplomatic protest about long-gun technology.

or, worst case scenario:

5. Project Zeus is a method for firing superweapons THROUGH teraport cages, effectively turning any sufficiently robust teraport cage into a pocket battleplate. And Breya doesn't want any disguised foreign pocket battleplates entering her star system, especially when Project Zeus is too secret for most of her traffic controllers to be warned about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:26 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Considering that project zeus opened a wormhole I highly doubt that last one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:38 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Krennson wrote:
1. Breya doesn't want giant unstoppable teraport cages inside her perimeter.
2. Breya doesn't want to be constantly chasing pirate fleets away from the PTU's.
3. Breya doesn't trust hulls she can't easily scan through.
4. Breya is trying to file a diplomatic protest about long-gun technology.

or, worst case scenario:

5. Project Zeus is a method for firing superweapons THROUGH teraport cages, effectively turning any sufficiently robust teraport cage into a pocket battleplate. And Breya doesn't want any disguised foreign pocket battleplates entering her star system, especially when Project Zeus is too secret for most of her traffic controllers to be warned about it.

1. That's a valid reason to block that particular class of ship, not all oafan ships.
2. Petey has been handing out a planets worth of PTUs for months, no one is going to target their ships for that.
3. I can't image theres anything worse than what she already knows they can do, which is long gun tech that a mere ban won't effect.
4. Maybe, but it seems odd that they wouldn't be informed about that first. Of course that is true regardless of what the reasons are. I doubt long guns are public knowledge yet anyhow.
5. Not sure how that's any different from the tagons giant tereport cage, or any worse than long gun tech.

No, I think the problem is pure politics. Couldn't guess at the details, though. But I suspect Breya isn't enthusiastic about it either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:03 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

ExenTrik wrote:
1. That's a valid reason to block that particular class of ship, not all oafan ships.

She has no reason to trust that ALL Oafan hulls don't have teraport cage capability. Plus, blocking one specific class of ship raises all sorts of questions about why you're doing that, and might inspire some people to look more closely.

Granted, this IS a little paranoid right now given that Oafan hulls are not exactly commonly available. But when it comes to inviting an 8 kilometer wide teraport cage inside your system's defense grid, a little paranoia seems entirely reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:38 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

ADB_ wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:

She has no reason to trust that ALL Oafan hulls don't have teraport cage capability. Plus, blocking one specific class of ship raises all sorts of questions about why you're doing that, and might inspire some people to look more closely.

Granted, this IS a little paranoid right now given that Oafan hulls are not exactly commonly available. But when it comes to inviting an 8 kilometer wide teraport cage inside your system's defense grid, a little paranoia seems entirely reasonable.

Agreed. The UNS has direct experience with two completely different classes of ship that do weird things with wormholes and physics in general.

However, this -does- make me wonder about those Offan warships that Int-Aff-Int obtained from Petey...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:31 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Why is everyone saying Breya? It was Admiral Chu who was brought in on the ability of Cindercone's anomalous capabilities.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:27 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Daniel the Broc wrote:
However, this -does- make me wonder about those Offan warships that Int-Aff-Int obtained from Petey...

You mean the ones that were chopped up into easily digestible pieces?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
Daniel the Broc wrote:

You mean the ones that were chopped up into easily digestible pieces?

I don't think so. The ones i"m thinking of are the ones that Petey directly offered Int-Gavish after Tagon offered "Right of first refusal" on the ships he salvaged at the end of the Can o Sky job.

The cut up for scrap ones, as far as I understand, are the ten thousand corvettes that Ambassador Hioefua offered the UNS directly in negotations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Sean wrote:
Why is everyone saying Breya? It was Admiral Chu who was brought in on the ability of Cindercone's anomalous capabilities.

It's referred to as a "Sec Gen decree," and as of the beginning of this book Breya is still the acting Secretary General.

Daniel the Broc wrote:
I don't think so. The ones i"m thinking of are the ones that Petey directly offered Int-Gavish after Tagon offered "Right of first refusal" on the ships he salvaged at the end of the Can o Sky job.

The cut up for scrap ones, as far as I understand, are the ten thousand corvettes that Ambassador Hioefua offered the UNS directly in negotations.

In fact, we can see that the ones offered it IntAffInt were NOT of the chopped up variety, because the IAI research ship "Gift Horse" that accompanies the Toughs to Uli-Oa was one of those Oafan designs.