Intern
Intern

Well that works

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Well that works

You don't get to the status of intimidation unless they're "DDD" or larger.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm 
Intern
Intern

Black Sheep wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Well that works

You don't get to the status of intimidation unless they're "DDD" or larger.

intimidation relies on the charisma stat though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:

No, I just checked and in the best game* out there it relies on Will.

* GURPS. I'd have said what ever stat Howard's rpg uses, but I don't have that game yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

* GURPS. I'd have said what ever stat Howard's rpg uses, but I don't have that game yet.

To get to the levels of intimidation I'm talking about has an HT-based bonus. Or a minimum stat requirement, I'm not sure.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:00 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Black Sheep wrote:
To get to the levels of intimidation I'm talking about has an HT-based bonus. Or a minimum stat requirement, I'm not sure.

Yeah... see... that wasn't Intimidation Elf used. It's Sex Appeal... which in The Best Game Out There* is HT based.

* Yup, still GURPS. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Sex appeal and intimidation are not mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 am 
Janitor
Janitor

rleggett wrote:

They are to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:22 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

I'm pretty sure Howard plays the XD20 system described in XDM: X-Treme Dungeon Mastery. There's only one stat in the XD20 basic game; conveniently called "Stat". Not much controversy there. XD20 Advanced system has three stats, called "TAC", "PSYCH", and "WAH"; these roughly break down into physical/mental/luck. You could start arguing again about whether feminine wiles are more a physical or a mental activity; Howard's resolution to this as an XDM would probably depend on how it was role-played.

In this case, if I were running the game and the player for the Elf character described the approach the same way Ennesby did, I'd have the player roll against their TAC stat.

PS - if you like GURPS for its flexibility, it's worth giving Howard's XD20 system a try. It relies on having a competent game master (a.k.a. "X-Treme Dungeon Master"), so the first 110 pages of the manual are dedicated to helping you get there :)

PPS - I'm still cracking up over Rear Echelon Methodology and Framework (REMF); that acronym had a different expansion when I was in the Rear Echelons myself :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Zinho wrote:
I'm pretty sure Howard plays the XD20 system...

I was referring to Planet Mercenary, the Schlock Mercenary RPG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 pm 
Intern
Intern

rleggett wrote:

You can't have the first without the other, I say. I like my women like I like my knives: Cold, sharp and scary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Fishman wrote:
You can't have the first without the other, I say. I like my women like I like my knives: Cold, sharp and scary.

Yeah.... we have to disagree strongly there. While I like crazy as much the next guy, if I'm afraid of something I'm damn sure not putting my dick in it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Zinho wrote:
I'm pretty sure Howard plays the XD20 system...

I was referring to Planet Mercenary, the Schlock Mercenary RPG.

Ah, good point. Not published yet, but there's a good chance he'd be playing the RPG he's currently developing.

The kickstarter gave access to a rulebook preview on that, so I've got some insight which I'll share very cautiously and circumspectly lest I draw the ire of the Malevolent God...

Character design in the PM RPG is similar to the XDM setup, very minimal. As far as numeric things go, you get a health stat, a defense stat, and a list of skills. Meat-hacking the desk clerk at Urtheep falls into the Social Skills category, and you'd be negotiating with your Game Chief whether "Deceive" (bluff/disguise/distract) or "Inspire" (oratory/persuade/seduce) is the right skill to be using - assuming that you even have both to begin with. Elf would get bonus skill ranks in Inspire due to being an Ops Commander, but gets no bonus from her background as an infantry grunt, nor from her racial status as a human. So, "Inspire", I guess?

In this game setting, "Intimidate" (detect lies/interrogate/torture) seems like a bad description for what Elf was doing at the front desk.

Of course, all of that depends on the Game Chief not saying that, due to circumstance, the task is trivially easy and doesn't need a skill roll. Like, because they're hacking the weakest meat, so it's funny. Or, giving you a change to fail at the front desk is nowhere near as fun as letting you try to fail back at the REMF offices, and failing at the front desk would derail the story. There are paragraphs in both PM and XDM about why spending time rules-lawyering over skill checks is bad gameplay; I'd argue that in any game Howard is playing personally it wouldn't be suffered.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Zinho wrote:
Ah, good point. Not published yet, but there's a good chance he'd be playing the RPG he's currently developing.

I have no idea what Howard plays, I was merely mentioning the game he cowrote.

Quote:
In this game setting, "Intimidate" (detect lies/interrogate/torture) seems like a bad description for what Elf was doing at the front desk.

We don't know what she did at the front desk (aside from it being described as "meat hacking", which in more polite terms is called social engineering). We know she's just standing around once she (and Ennesby) have penetrated Urtheep as far as the Tech Support guy's desk (which is where Ennesby begins his hacking).