The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fiddly Bits
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

One part of my brain asked, "Why doesn't Tenzy have a fiddly bit like Ennesby does?"

Another part of my brain answered, "Because it would get shot off. Duh!"

The first part of my replied, "Well, why doesn't Ennesby get that taken care of?"

Post subject: Re: Fiddly Bits
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:44 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

rleggett wrote:
One part of my brain asked, "Why doesn't Tenzy have a fiddly bit like Ennesby does?"

Another part of my brain answered, "Because it would get shot off. Duh!"

The first part of my replied, "Well, why doesn't Ennesby get that taken care of?"

Yeah, hasn't that happened twice already?

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

It has its uses, probably. Like turning into a maser on demand. More likely though, it's part of who he is so he just goes along with it. Think about it, every free willed AI could improve their own design if they wanted to. They could also arbitrarily decide to alter their own programming. I get the idea there is something about AI design that lets them be satisfied with who they are, because it wouldn't be stable if they took the idea of self improvement too seriously.

When an AI does get the idea to change themselves it's pretty significant. Consider when Tenzy decided not to be a mere gun anymore. Or consider the everything about Petey.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:33 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Ennesby probably has a complex about being changed too much, considering how much he's already been through. He's had Kevyn constantly threatening him with logic probes and Para's lip-making exercises.

Now, considering he probably doesn't trust an outsider to do surgery on him, and he probably doesn't want Kevyn or Para doing it, there's big incentives for being happy with what he has.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Wasn't there something about high-order AIs can't change their hardware very much?

And Ennesby was designed to be a boy band, which would have controlled his basic hardware configuration . . . I think the "fiddly bit" might be his hologram projector.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:18 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
Wasn't there something about high-order AIs can't change their hardware very much?

And Ennesby was designed to be a boy band, which would have controlled his basic hardware configuration . . . I think the "fiddly bit" might be his hologram projector.

--FreeFlier

Are you talking about the stem? that's what lets him fly http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2000-07-29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I guess Ennesby could move into a bigger chassis, but the thinky bits can't get too close to the masery, gravy bits or they won't work very well. I think that's why Petey's floating hologram generators have a similar design.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:32 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

DrCron wrote:
I guess Ennesby could move into a bigger chassis, but the thinky bits can't get too close to the masery, gravy bits or they won't work very well. I think that's why Petey's floating hologram generators have a similar design.

That might be a consequence of his design, but that design was thrown together from what I assume were spare parts. We've seen far better chassis available such as Tenzys, and we know Ennesby could ump to a new rig without issue. The only reason to say as he is now is because he just wants to (and meta wise, that's what we recognize him as).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:51 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

ExenTrik wrote:
The only reason to say as he is now is because he just wants to (and meta wise, that's what we recognize him as).

Not so, there is also the legal factor, he needs a license to upgrade to a better hardware chassis.

He could of course get one from The Neofan Freehold, but then he might not be allowed into UNS territory.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:33 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

He needs a license to upgrade his processing capability to a higher grade on the mind scale. But I don't think we've seen anything that would limit an AI from getting new hardware that didn't affect that.

Besides doesn't he still have that old license that let him be an HV-6 from when he was a ship mind. Looking it up the original license also came with a hardware stipend which suggests that AIs are free to modify their hardware within those limits.

Though given all the troubles they've had with the UNS I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was revoked at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:

In most cases yes, but Ennesby is an exception to that rule as he is a vanilla-helix build which while generally inferior to other types of AI build is able to easily migrate to different hardware

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Grashtel wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

In most cases yes, but Ennesby is an exception to that rule as he is a vanilla-helix build which while generally inferior to other types of AI build is able to easily migrate to different hardware

Probably also better at running multiple nodes.

Arcanestomper wrote:
He needs a license to upgrade his processing capability to a higher grade on the mind scale. But I don't think we've seen anything that would limit an AI from getting new hardware that didn't affect that.

Besides doesn't he still have that old license that let him be an HV-6 from when he was a ship mind. Looking it up the original license also came with a hardware stipend which suggests that AIs are free to modify their hardware within those limits.

Though given all the troubles they've had with the UNS I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was revoked at some point.

I think you misread a different strip, where General Lardchins suggested that Enesby might be fined enough components to bring him back down to H/V 1.
I certainly don't recall any suggestion that a license came with a hardware stipend.
Also, with the changing times, licenses may be on the way out, casually ignored, or even no longer required. Tenzey was too sophisticated to just turn off, which suggests AI rights are on the ascendance.
Of course, MaKo might have violated the law by causing the upgrade of Tenzey, while Tenzey is considered innocent, and protected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:18 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I was referring to this strip where Ennesby specifically gets an HV-6 license with a hardware stipend. And I know later Admiral Emm was surprised that an HV-6 AI got tricked into doing that search trap, so it was probably still valid at that point even if Ennesby no longer had the hardware to pull it off.

Though I have read strips where Ennesby was only an HV-1. So apparently he yoyo's up and down the hardware spectrum even when his chassis looks the same.

I'll poke around and see if I can find the one about fines you are referring to.

Edit:
This is the strip where Admiral Em talks about him so he still had the HV-6 license by that point.

Also I will note that it was General Xinchub that suggested disassembling Ennesby for having an invalid license. And we know he's killed more than one human character for simply knowing too much. So it may not be that times have changed regarding AI rights so much as we were always viewing the galaxy through the lens of the blacker than black ops commands where nobody had rights.

Though to be fair Lunesby was considered a rogue AI and she was created by Ennesby through no fault of her own. So you may be right about Tenzy representing a step forward. There has been a change in administration since then after all. Not to mention the influence of the Plenipotent Dominion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
Also I will note that it was General Xinchub that suggested disassembling Ennesby for having an invalid license. And we know he's killed more than one human character for simply knowing too much. So it may not be that times have changed regarding AI rights so much as we were always viewing the galaxy through the lens of the blacker than black ops commands where nobody had rights.

Though to be fair Lunesby was considered a rogue AI and she was created by Ennesby through no fault of her own. So you may be right about Tenzy representing a step forward. There has been a change in administration since then after all. Not to mention the influence of the Plenipotent Dominion.

Also all UNS ship AI's were hobbled following the Core War to keep any of them from ever "going rogue" again, so no, we haven't only been seeing the "blacker-than-black" ops side.

There is also the very casual disregard several Toughs (mostly just Kev and Para) have shown to AI's over the years. I think what we likely have is a situation where legally AIs have certain rights, but in actuality they are generally second class citizens treated with as little respect as black people in the US between 1900-1950's. In some areas they (and some AIs) get more equal (or even completely equal in some cases*) treatment and in others they get far, far less.

But yes, overall I agree that AI rights seem to be increasing in the UNS. The real test is whether or not the ship AIs have been unhobbled or not.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:34 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Though I have read strips where Ennesby was only an HV-1. So apparently he yoyo's up and down the hardware spectrum even when his chassis looks the same.

The "maraca" chassis we're used to thinking of as "him" has always been about HV-1. When he was more powerful, he was mostly in the Serial Peacemaker's computers, and using the maraca as a remote node.