The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017-02-04: TIMBER!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:33 pm 
Intern
Intern

Now imagine the tree making a summersault and managing to just stick the landing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Now imagine the tree making a summersault and managing to just stick the landing.

That would definitely be a sight to see. Provided I had sufficient distance to be safe.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:30 am 
Janitor
Janitor

So wait a minute, Putzo was willing to climb a cliff just to toss himself off of it, but he isn't willing to scale a mountain for enlightenment?

Talk about being a Putzo...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
So wait a minute, Putzo was willing to climb a cliff just to toss himself off of it, but he isn't willing to scale a mountain for enlightenment?

Something's wrong with naming here.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-03-24
Suggests that Putzho is the... light brown? orange brown? who jumped off the cliff.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-04-03
Suggests that Putzho is the green one who didn't want to go for a walk.

This means that one of the following is true:
a) Putzho is very common name
b) isn't actually their name (and instead a mocking name, for example "Einstein" would work here)
c) Howard made a mistake
d) something else entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:31 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Given the contexts, I'm going with b. Getting across that it's an insult would be awkward to explain, applying it to two people doing something dumb works better. Sure, if they had other actual established names it would be more clear, but squeezing that in along with everything else is also difficult.

Maybe later a line will be dropped like "NOW who's the Putzho?" to spell it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Another thing about the designation Putzho . . . It seems that it could be broken down into two parts, putz and ho . . . and for those who don't know, putz is a yiddish obscenity for the male sex organ.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:51 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

in any event, clearly in panels 3 and 4, the tree of knowledge does NOT look happy, and I do not for a moment believe that this is an accident of position and viewpoint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

*giggles*

Oh my God, this Tree of Knowledge (of Good and Evil?) is a total BADASS. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

RickBoatright wrote:
in any event, clearly in panels 3 and 4, the tree of knowledge does NOT look happy, and I do not for a moment believe that this is an accident of position and viewpoint.

Not unhappy, just focused. Now that last panel? Smug as hell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ExenTrik wrote:
RickBoatright wrote:

Not unhappy, just focused. Now that last panel? Smug as hell.

This. Imagine Treebeard saying "BOOYAH! Who's your daddy?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The dwarves are right! The trees are attacking! Look at that giant size, damage reduction, massive number of attacks, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:50 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

keybounce wrote:
The dwarves are right! The trees are attacking! Look at that giant size, damage reduction, massive number of attacks, etc.

That TRANSPLANT is definitely an area effect, rather than a point attack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:52 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Black Sheep wrote:
keybounce wrote:

I was just gonna let it go... because at that size even one attack is a pretty massive number.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
I was just gonna let it go... because at that size even one attack is a pretty massive number.

The tree can't hold it back anymore ... big production for that operation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
keybounce wrote:

Yeah, but it's all about the game mechanics.

Our RPG group's motto is "Players only love you when they're playing." ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:24 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

Suggests that Putzho is the... light brown? orange brown? who jumped off the cliff.

b) isn't actually their name (and instead a mocking name, for example "Einstein" would work here)
c) Howard made a mistake

Now the tree says that the irreverent Putzho is correct. The green Putzho was irreverent, and "correct" seems to refer to the hypothesis that they're being simulated by the matrioshka brain, which the brown Putzho came up with.

Here the green one has four whiskers on the nose, two above the eyes and three on top of the head, has dots lining the eye, and is called Hazz. The brown Putzho has 2+2+2 whiskers and no dots. The green Putzho also has 2+2+2 whiskers and no dots, while the brown one who was afraid that they'd get smushed has 4+2+3 whiskers and dots. That one is also called Hazz here.

Conclusion: It looks like both Putzhos are the same person, and either these people change colors like chameleons, or something went wrong with the coloring.

I think the whiskers are worth paying attention to by the way. There seems to be a correlation between rank and the number of whiskers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Rombobjörn wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

c) Howard made a mistake

Now the tree says that the irreverent Putzho is correct. The green Putzho was irreverent, and "correct" seems to refer to the hypothesis that they're being simulated by the matrioshka brain, which the brown Putzho came up with.

Here the green one has four whiskers on the nose, two above the eyes and three on top of the head, has dots lining the eye, and is called Hazz. The brown Putzho has 2+2+2 whiskers and no dots. The green Putzho also has 2+2+2 whiskers and no dots, while the brown one who was afraid that they'd get smushed has 4+2+3 whiskers and dots. That one is also called Hazz here.

Conclusion: It looks like both Putzhos are the same person, and either these people change colors like chameleons, or something went wrong with the coloring.

I think the whiskers are worth paying attention to by the way. There seems to be a correlation between rank and the number of whiskers.

Good point. Evidence (the comic) appears to support your hypothesis.
However, I think it's unlikely that Howard would pay so much attention to whiskers and mix up colours, thus I think your conclusion about changing colours is the most correct.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
Rombobjörn wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

c) Howard made a mistake

Good point. Evidence (the comic) appears to support your hypothesis.
However, I think it's unlikely that Howard would pay so much attention to whiskers and mix up colours, thus I think your conclusion about changing colours is the most correct.

Them having the ability to change colors, and color change being probably tied in to their body language, is a valid possibility, even a likelihood, now that it's mentioned, but I don't believe Mr. Taylor currently colors his own strips.
Checking the About tab on the home page gives the colorists name as Travis Walton.