The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

So here's an odd question.

As I understand it, Schlock's memory is distributed around his whole body; when Petey gets a little piece, it lets him update his copy of Schlock's memory / thinking. But it's an incomplete copy.

Schlock is alien from the others; very, very alien. While the others are basically DNA-based carbon machines, Schlock is ... a semi-intelligent, self-aware, non-malicious brain/memory ... "tumor" doesn't fit :-). A self-aware storage system, carbon-silicon based, and that lifeform is not common. That type of lifeform is not common.

So how could they make a new Schlock?
And as I ask this, I realize that they did exactly this at some point in the (deep) archives. So, I guess the real question is, can someone point me to the rebirth of Schlock?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Yes. He already has one, Petey's got it.

[EDIT]
Just finished reading your whole post...

Death / Rebirth
[/EDIT]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Petey did it with a very brute force method, I don't see how the immortality tech would interact with Schlocks biology. Even if it worked it'd barely add anything different aside from the backup method, so maybe that's all it does? Either they found a way to read Schlock directly or Schlock figured out how to not devour that specific nanotechnology.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 am 
Intern
Intern

ExenTrik wrote:
Petey did it with a very brute force method, I don't see how the immortality tech would interact with Schlocks biology. Even if it worked it'd barely add anything different aside from the backup method, so maybe that's all it does? Either they found a way to read Schlock directly or Schlock figured out how to not devour that specific nanotechnology.

They have found a way to read Schlock directly, yes. Schlock, being what amounts to a hard drive gone rogue, is not particularly hard to read or copy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:

They have found a way to read Schlock directly, yes. Schlock, being what amounts to a hard drive gone rogue, is not particularly hard to read or copy.

The problem, as I see it, is Schlock is a very large volume of reasonably dense storage. At a quarter ton, give or take, a large part of that mass is computer storage and processing. While a backup doesn't need to duplicate motile function or his very keen chemo manipulation and analysis suite, and while Schlock is on record at maintaining multiple copies of pretty much everything, as a hedge against injury, (an important practice, considering the number of times he's been roasted by his own plasgun alone,) that's still probably a lot of storage capacity to contend with. Several pounds, in all likelihood, at the practical limit of storage mediums, since he's probably pretty close to that theoretical limit himself (before accounting for RAID practices and the other functions of amorph goo).

A backup of schlock is, potentially, much larger than a similar backup of one of those sophants that keeps their memories, skills, and rigid-coded impulses in a roughly three pound lump behind their eyes, (or in their pelvic cradle).

I suppose they could just hook Schlock up, and stream a copy straight to the servers in the can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:57 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

You elaborated greatly on my concerns, Sean. I also wonder just how dense the storage can be as well, the trick to reading Schlocks data in an efficient manner depends on reading all of that data at once or at least in a stream. His distributed system, much like a human brain, doesn't simply output its contents easily.

Granted the current sophant backup method clearly had some answer to this, so maybe this is a solved problem already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:57 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Frankly I would be surprised if Schlock is actually very dense storage wise. Sure its distributed throughout his body, but that same mass is also responsible for distributing a very respectable amount of force, containing a full and very elaborate nanodefense suite, measuring vibrations of all kinds in the environmente, and his whole digestive process.

Trying to pack all of that into one set of matter is going to be difficult. And when Schlock saved his memories from the UNS he was able to do so in the amount he was able to pack into an eyeball. Now maybe he didn't save all his memories there, but clearly it was enough to revert him to his prior self.

On top of all that remember that Ghanj-Ro was actually significantly less developed than the current galactic level of technology. And the amorphs very likely got even less efficient at storing information when they evolved all their other abilities.

So yeah on the whole Schlock probably has more memory capability than say a human, but I doubt it really strains one of their modern memory backup systems. AIs are routinely shown as having storage capacities many magnitudes greater than an organic. And we haven't seen any indications that Schlock's memory is correspondingly large. But if nothing else it just means they use an AI backup for him instead of a regular organic one.

Plus Schlock has already been restored from backup once. So clearly they've worked it out. It may even have been easier than the rest of them, or helped them understand how to apply the process to everyone else given the timeline.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Let's go one step further: Schlock could act as backup for the rest of his squad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:35 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Yes. He already has one, Petey's got it.

[EDIT]
Just finished reading your whole post...

Death / Rebirth
[/EDIT]

Thank you. And the third piece, the explanation, is here

So, Petey was able to supply a "barrel of instant amorph". Apparently, they are no longer hard to make more of. Equally, I wonder if it would not be hard to make two "identical" Schlocks with different memory updates/copies.

Still, there might be some ethical issues with doing this. You'd probably wind up with different amorphs having very different personalities. What would they be like? Probably like someone on day 2 of a gaming convention is my guess :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Well at this point you could do that with anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:54 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
Equally, I wonder if it would not be hard to make two "identical" Schlocks with different memory updates/copies.

Still, there might be some ethical issues with doing this. You'd probably wind up with different amorphs having very different personalities. What would they be like? Probably like someone on day 2 of a gaming convention is my guess :-)

If you don't make absolutely sure to prevent the two copies from touching, you'll just wind up with one Schlock - http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2005-09-04

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
So, Petey was able to supply a "barrel of instant amorph". Apparently, they are no longer hard to make more of.

I think assuming that just because Petey has the ability and will to do a thing should not be taken as evidence that it is not hard.

that said when the toughs memories were altered Petey did provide notes to adapt Las'R'us to the entire roster suggesting that the system used on Shlock was not entirely new.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2008-02-10