The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red-Reo summary?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:48 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

So I've basically lost the flow of the main thread of the story.

We started with a "magic cryokit", that was based on stolen military technology. We had the Toughs chased down by a general based on their having unauthorized knowledge of the tech, which they only got because he spilled the beans. Petey managed to negotiate a "Forget and forgive" treaty, which Schlock saw through, and eventually reported to the top brass.

Then, in chapter 13, Read/Write/Execute, the Gav's are using Red-Reo as part of the brain rewriting that goes with their gene re-sequencing, and the military has RedHack to alter what happens when someone is restored from backup.

What is the link from the early-story military tech, that was part of the military super-soldier stuff, to the Red-reo / redhack side?

... Then, we have Petey "improving" the technology, hardening it against the redhack takeover, and using the Oafans to distribute longevity to the whole galaxy.

Does this accurately summarize the long-term story? What is the link into Red-Reo from super solider and magic cryokit?

Post subject: Re: Red-Reo summary?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

The original super soldier project involved combining a whole bunch of different techs to make humans into immortal killing machines. I'm not sure if the original aim was a super soldier or immortality, but in the end they got both. This was what Xinchub was working on, and is what the magic cyrokit basically upgraded the Toughs with as a backup. The first time its use was demonstrated was when Kevyn was killed by pirates. The blood nannies brought him back and upgraded him into a commando so he could stop the pirates.

The part that brought him back was the part of the Laz'R'us project known as retroexocephaloderm. I believe for the most part people didn't know that Laz'R'us did anything beyond the brain backups. Except for the actual UNS military and eventually the Toughs and Petey.

The Gavs used RED as part of their transmogrification process. And Admiral Em used the rest of Laz'R'us to overwrite them with Kowalski and turn them into supersoldiers. Well technically she used Redhack to overwrite them and activate Laz'R'us at the same time.

Meanwhile Petey was working to remove the Laz'R'us military applications and harden it against Redhack. This is what the Oafans then distributed to the UNS as RED-REO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Right, except it wasn't the Magic Cryokit that upgraded the Toughs. (Aside from soldier boosts etc.)

Back then, only Kevyn was upgraded with the RED/Supersoldier package, and that was done by Petey. (Pronto died in that arc because he did not have it.) Granted, Petey got the information/research on that RED/Supersoldier package from the Magic Cryokit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Gerko wrote:
Right, except it wasn't the Magic Cryokit that upgraded the Toughs. (Aside from soldier boosts etc.)

Back then, only Kevyn was upgraded with the RED/Supersoldier package, and that was done by Petey. (Pronto died in that arc because he did not have it.) Granted, Petey got the information/research on that RED/Supersoldier package from the Magic Cryokit.

The Magic Cryokit was built by the original doctor, who died during the retaking of the Kitesphear at the restaurant station.
He was a fugitive from the UNS, because he, being a researcher on the original Laz-R-Us project, knew too much. His Magic Cryokit included his memories.
Initially, the Toughs were pursued on the ASSUMPTION that the original doctor had shared his information before he died.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

So... Red-Reo is current immortality tech, and Redhack was the "what sort of monster would make this!?" version, originally researched by the UNS?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

0z79 wrote:
So... Red-Reo is current immortality tech, and Redhack was the "what sort of monster would make this!?" version, originally researched by the UNS?

Not quite. I believe Redhack is the term for the hijacking protocols that allow an external force to hack into and exploit the RED-REO tech to overwrite somebody's brain with somebody else's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Kendrakirai wrote:
0z79 wrote:

Not quite. I believe Redhack is the term for the hijacking protocols that allow an external force to hack into and exploit the RED-REO tech to overwrite somebody's brain with somebody else's.

Still not quite...

RED was the product being tested at Haven's Hive and used by the Blacker-Than-Black OPs in the UNS based on the Laz-R-Us tech (which Petey 'stole' and used on Kevin and eventually developed into RED-REO).

REDHack was also developed by those same BTB Ops to be used on their own people, and the Gavmogres. And probably others. Emm's faction was evil that way.

RED-REO is the new improved "impervious to REDhack" immortality version of RED developed by Petey and distributed by the NeOafans.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

This is accurate, as I remember it, but can be misleading.
RED was being field tested by Murtaughs group. It's important to remember that Doc Pau had NOTHING to do with RED.
RED was the get shot in the brain, get up better a little bit later. Not the bloated fat men being milked for their nannie-rich pustules.

RED was also a component in the Gavcorp's experiment with rerolling new characters for themselves, which opened them up to being hacked by Emm's group, who wanted the pearl.

The key word in REDhack is Hack.

evileeyore wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
0z79 wrote:

Still not quite...

RED was the product being tested at Haven's Hive and used by the Blacker-Than-Black OPs in the UNS based on the Laz-R-Us tech (which Petey 'stole' and used on Kevin and eventually developed into RED-REO).

REDHack was also developed by those same BTB Ops to be used on their own people, and the Gavmogres. And probably others. Emm's faction was evil that way.

RED-REO is the new improved "impervious to REDhack" immortality version of RED developed by Petey and distributed by the NeOafans.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Do we know how the Gavs got RED tech? Did they even know they had it? If I recall correctly, they were quite surprised by Zombie-Binni. As in, they thought he was done for completely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:45 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Cifer wrote:
Do we know how the Gavs got RED tech? Did they even know they had it? If I recall correctly, they were quite surprised by Zombie-Binni. As in, they thought he was done for completely.

We know it was, at least indirectly, a project from Admiral Em's section of USN intelligence, but I don't believe we were ever told how they got the technology to the Gavs.

Am I the only one who wants to call her "Auntie Em"?

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:31 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Gone too soon ... :(