The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Cosplay reference material?

I am contemplating making a Tagons toughs uniform for next year’s swancon (alt fiction convention held in Perth Australia every Easter).

Is anybody aware of potential reference material other than the comics themselves?

Do the toughs wear unit identification on their breast or shoulders and if so what do they look like?

What exactly is the pattern for uniform colors based on rank and service type?

The Zombie Kat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

From what we've seen, it varies with date.
The first uniforms appear inspired by ST:TOS, with gold/orange as command, blue as science/medical, and red as security/sharp end.
The uniforms the Toughs used at the mall appear influenced by later ST:DS9 patterns.
At some point, green became a command color.

I'd say, pick a book, and then pick apart the uniforms. The only constant, I've noticed, is the hovering epaulets.
Good luck on those, by the way.

thezombiekat wrote:

I am contemplating making a Tagons toughs uniform for next year’s swancon (alt fiction convention held in Perth Australia every Easter).

Is anybody aware of potential reference material other than the comics themselves?

Do the toughs wear unit identification on their breast or shoulders and if so what do they look like?

The Zombie Kat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

thezombiekat wrote:

The Zombie Kat

You may want to contact Howard directly--if nothing in the published comics will work, he may have some design or reference sketches.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Sean wrote:
I'd say, pick a book, and then pick apart the uniforms. The only constant, I've noticed, is the hovering epaulets.
Good luck on those, by the way.

I'm not sure it helps, but at one point Jay Maynard (Tron Guy) did a fairly convincing General Xinchub. The links are all broken now, but thread here bats around some ideas for how to get the epaulets to float though with magnets and fishing line.
Maybe someone has how Jay did his epaulets archived somewhere so you can have a look and compare.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18631&hilit=cosplay#p342676

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:05 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I am going for the current daily uniform. wich appears to be dark gray with a colored to section indicating service area at the top of the torso (the DS9 pattern should adapt ok, the toughs don't extend the color onto the top of the sleave).

I will probably be making up a non-canon character because I am large, overweight and very proud of my full bushy beard, everybody in the comics has a smooth chin (or is an ape and I don't have the skills for prosthetics). I have not locked this decision in, however.

floating tabs are a must. I'll do some experiments with magnets but probably end up suspending them on fine wire or clear plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:24 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

thezombiekat wrote:
I am going for the current daily uniform. wich appears to be dark gray with a colored to section indicating service area at the top of the torso (the DS9 pattern should adapt ok, the toughs don't extend the color onto the top of the sleave).

I will probably be making up a non-canon character because I am large, overweight and very proud of my full bushy beard, everybody in the comics has a smooth chin (or is an ape and I don't have the skills for prosthetics). I have not locked this decision in, however.

floating tabs are a must. I'll do some experiments with magnets but probably end up suspending them on fine wire or clear plastic.

I'm hoping you will post pictures of the results! :)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."