The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 983
Honestly, if you have access to everyone's communications then adding a basic keyword search routine is pretty trivial.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 666
grahamf wrote:
Honestly, if you have access to everyone's communications then adding a basic keyword search routine is pretty trivial.

Yup. Though I admit, I prefer "Hastur, Hastur, H...ey, maybe this isn't a good idea." ;)

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 pm
Posts: 147
You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him
Stuff so bad, you will need to redefine the term, and scale....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 983
kham wrote:
You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him
Stuff so bad, you will need to redefine the term, and scale....

and pungency.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Nebulae beyond Gamma Draconis
kham wrote:
You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him
Stuff so bad, you will need to redefine the term, and scale....


Why do you hate Petey so much?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 344
Here I was just thinking Kevyn has inflicted another word on the galaxy. His suggested name for LOTA is now the name for all similar weapons.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 666
M[i]ech wrote:
kham wrote:
You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him
Stuff so bad, you will need to redefine the term, and scale....


Why do you hate Petey so much?

I should note that I do not hate Petey, but I do understand how there is potential for hatred there.

Petey is a pseudo-deus-ex-machina. As such, he reduces human (sophont) agency and freedom of action. And he is a smart-assed, smarmy pseudo-god.

(Yes, the language pedants will note I'm using a Greek prefix with a Latin root, and will doubtless come to a bad end for such a linguistic abomination.)

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 478
Location: Eugene, OR
Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear.

Yesterday, in light of a couple of other webcomics where a resolution to some plot has recently manifested in the form of (as I put it) "suddenly BEAR", I coined another phrase: "Ursus ex Machina."

(Yes, I know Petey isn't an example of Ursus, or even Phascolarctos, but a virtual avatar based on a species from a different planetary ecosystem entirely. Just go with it.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 131
Well... for better or worse, technology has produced an actual, physical god that people can pray to and have a chance of speaking one-on-one with him. Especially if you're in a meeting of interstellar importance and you *know* he's a cheeky bastard, yet you insult them anyway...

And something about an idiot ball, and a name having teeth.. hey, those animated GIFs on the right are really distracting...

Well, off to play Gradius.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 275
Black Sheep wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
kham wrote:
You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him
Stuff so bad, you will need to redefine the term, and scale....


Why do you hate Petey so much?

I should note that I do not hate Petey, but I do understand how there is potential for hatred there.

Petey is a pseudo-deus-ex-machina. As such, he reduces human (sophont) agency and freedom of action. And he is a smart-assed, smarmy pseudo-god.

(Yes, the language pedants will note I'm using a Greek prefix with a Latin root, and will doubtless come to a bad end for such a linguistic abomination.)


Honestly the same could be of any AI, or alien, with greater than human level of intelligence. To a greater or lesser extent a more capable entity reduces the agency of those around them. They can react faster, plan further, and multitask to a greater extent.

It was even brought up in the comic in regards to the All-Star. If it has such immense capabilities there is nothing the Toughs can do but play into its plans. The only thing mere biologicals can do is plan and act as if the super AIs are not actually infallible.

And we've actually seen plenty of indications that there are limitations on Petey and other AIs that do make biologicals still pertinent.

Ironically of course this brings up another segment of commenters who complain about how the AIs are unnecessarily crippled for the sake of the story. You just can't please everybody.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 124
Arcanestomper wrote:
Ironically of course this brings up another segment of commenters who complain about how the AIs are unnecessarily crippled for the sake of the story. You just can't please everybody.

I rather think that the AIs were necessarily crippled in story, for the sake of meat based sophonts still having a function. Petey and his crew is something that was clearly meant to be prevented. Sure it turned out well in this case, but it's easy to imagine other AIs run amok being just as manipulative and cunning but having no capacity for benevolence.

In fact, I imagine it's happened quite a bit and only the lack of teraport previously kept things from going completely sideways. At least in this galactic cycle, I'm sure malicious AI had something to do with a number of galactic civilizations coming to a screeching halt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:15 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 649
ExenTrik wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
Ironically of course this brings up another segment of commenters who complain about how the AIs are unnecessarily crippled for the sake of the story. You just can't please everybody.

I rather think that the AIs were necessarily crippled in story, for the sake of meat based sophonts still having a function. Petey and his crew is something that was clearly meant to be prevented. Sure it turned out well in this case, but it's easy to imagine other AIs run amok being just as manipulative and cunning but having no capacity for benevolence.

In fact, I imagine it's happened quite a bit and only the lack of teraport previously kept things from going completely sideways. At least in this galactic cycle, I'm sure malicious AI had something to do with a number of galactic civilizations coming to a screeching halt.

Connect but constrain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 pm
Posts: 187
Back when the toughs were small fry, they found a wandering ship full of digital life that had completed a "meat purge" but didn't have the wits to successfully perform interstellar travel with their planet-ships.

_________________
May or may not run a Reaver-powered Perpetual Internal Combustion Engine of War And Shrapnel Fabber


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 300
dire wrote:
Back when the toughs were small fry, they found a wandering ship full of digital life that had completed a "meat purge" but didn't have the wits to successfully perform interstellar travel with their planet-ships.


Artificially intelligent does not automatically mean artificially brilliant. :)

An AI, even an unfettered one that can program ITSELF, can only only as smart as it's programmed to be, and as its hardware allows.

That's not saying actual organic intelligence is any better; we have limits as well, both "hardware" and "software".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group