The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 pm 
Intern
Intern

Honestly, if you have access to everyone's communications then adding a basic keyword search routine is pretty trivial.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Honestly, if you have access to everyone's communications then adding a basic keyword search routine is pretty trivial.

Yup. Though I admit, I prefer "Hastur, Hastur, H...ey, maybe this isn't a good idea." ;)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him
Stuff so bad, you will need to redefine the term, and scale....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
Intern
Intern

kham wrote:
You know, hating the cute widdle asshole bear would be harder, except he's a wiseass prick who just needs bad shit to happen to him

and pungency.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

kham wrote:

Why do you hate Petey so much?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Here I was just thinking Kevyn has inflicted another word on the galaxy. His suggested name for LOTA is now the name for all similar weapons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

M[i]ech wrote:
kham wrote:

I should note that I do not hate Petey, but I do understand how there is potential for hatred there.

Petey is a pseudo-deus-ex-machina. As such, he reduces human (sophont) agency and freedom of action. And he is a smart-assed, smarmy pseudo-god.

(Yes, the language pedants will note I'm using a Greek prefix with a Latin root, and will doubtless come to a bad end for such a linguistic abomination.)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear.

Yesterday, in light of a couple of other webcomics where a resolution to some plot has recently manifested in the form of (as I put it) "suddenly BEAR", I coined another phrase: "Ursus ex Machina."

(Yes, I know Petey isn't an example of Ursus, or even Phascolarctos, but a virtual avatar based on a species from a different planetary ecosystem entirely. Just go with it.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Well... for better or worse, technology has produced an actual, physical god that people can pray to and have a chance of speaking one-on-one with him. Especially if you're in a meeting of interstellar importance and you *know* he's a cheeky bastard, yet you insult them anyway...

And something about an idiot ball, and a name having teeth.. hey, those animated GIFs on the right are really distracting...

Well, off to play Gradius.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
kham wrote:

I should note that I do not hate Petey, but I do understand how there is potential for hatred there.

Petey is a pseudo-deus-ex-machina. As such, he reduces human (sophont) agency and freedom of action. And he is a smart-assed, smarmy pseudo-god.

(Yes, the language pedants will note I'm using a Greek prefix with a Latin root, and will doubtless come to a bad end for such a linguistic abomination.)

Honestly the same could be of any AI, or alien, with greater than human level of intelligence. To a greater or lesser extent a more capable entity reduces the agency of those around them. They can react faster, plan further, and multitask to a greater extent.

It was even brought up in the comic in regards to the All-Star. If it has such immense capabilities there is nothing the Toughs can do but play into its plans. The only thing mere biologicals can do is plan and act as if the super AIs are not actually infallible.

And we've actually seen plenty of indications that there are limitations on Petey and other AIs that do make biologicals still pertinent.

Ironically of course this brings up another segment of commenters who complain about how the AIs are unnecessarily crippled for the sake of the story. You just can't please everybody.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Ironically of course this brings up another segment of commenters who complain about how the AIs are unnecessarily crippled for the sake of the story. You just can't please everybody.

I rather think that the AIs were necessarily crippled in story, for the sake of meat based sophonts still having a function. Petey and his crew is something that was clearly meant to be prevented. Sure it turned out well in this case, but it's easy to imagine other AIs run amok being just as manipulative and cunning but having no capacity for benevolence.

In fact, I imagine it's happened quite a bit and only the lack of teraport previously kept things from going completely sideways. At least in this galactic cycle, I'm sure malicious AI had something to do with a number of galactic civilizations coming to a screeching halt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:15 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ExenTrik wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

I rather think that the AIs were necessarily crippled in story, for the sake of meat based sophonts still having a function. Petey and his crew is something that was clearly meant to be prevented. Sure it turned out well in this case, but it's easy to imagine other AIs run amok being just as manipulative and cunning but having no capacity for benevolence.

In fact, I imagine it's happened quite a bit and only the lack of teraport previously kept things from going completely sideways. At least in this galactic cycle, I'm sure malicious AI had something to do with a number of galactic civilizations coming to a screeching halt.

Connect but constrain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Back when the toughs were small fry, they found a wandering ship full of digital life that had completed a "meat purge" but didn't have the wits to successfully perform interstellar travel with their planet-ships.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:11 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

dire wrote:
Back when the toughs were small fry, they found a wandering ship full of digital life that had completed a "meat purge" but didn't have the wits to successfully perform interstellar travel with their planet-ships.

Artificially intelligent does not automatically mean artificially brilliant. :)

An AI, even an unfettered one that can program ITSELF, can only only as smart as it's programmed to be, and as its hardware allows.

That's not saying actual organic intelligence is any better; we have limits as well, both "hardware" and "software".