The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:10 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I love how the bear hid behind the octopus. Very confident, isn't he?

Edit. Date.

Last edited by Sean on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I suppose they can't all be Landon. Alas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

You know that actually makes me feel sorry for Haban. I hope he can at least get flavoring with his warm rope.

Also does anyone know what ranks these insignia stand for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
You know that actually makes me feel sorry for Haban. I hope he can at least get flavoring with his warm rope.

These are all various flavor of admiral, or equivalents thereto.
3 pips: Vice Admiral (The distrustful individual speaking in frame 4, and our friend, Admiral Timid-Bear * )
4 Pips: Admiral (Adm. Devereaux, and the un-named cephalopod Adm. Timid-Bear hides behind)

Admiral Chu, with one much larger rank pip, is equivalent to Admiral of the Navy.

* Yes, I know, we'll likely find out his actual name sooner or later, but he'll always be Admiral Timid-Bear to me. :mrgreen:

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

His rope is always habanero flavor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:22 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

dire wrote:

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

dire wrote:

Explosive diarrhea is preferable to what that would do on the way out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:19 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Admiral Chu, with one much larger rank pip, is equivalent to Admiral of the Navy.

I hot a hunch that something was different about admiral Chu, so I went ahead and checked.
He got promoted since last time we have seen him (at least I think that was the last time we have seen him).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 am 
Intern
Intern

In the last panel, why does Haban speak with a meatbag font, and the admiralbear with a mecha-font?

FWIW, I rather think their trust is at least partly based on any transgressors not getting away with it. If someone does pull a sidearm and start shooting, they are going to die, likely before they managed to kill every other well-armed person in the room. Who will kill the Psychobear if he starts shooting?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:15 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I expect someone to point out that everyone in the room is a check on everyone else's threat capabilities, but literally nothing in the galaxy can do anything if the plenipotent dominion goes any more rogue than they already have.

Arcanestomper wrote:

I wonder why he can't just not do that anymore. Clearly it was useful before, but he can have all manner of other kinds of protection now. I would also assume his original kit allows modification, but even if it didn't applying more tech would surely correct it. One sufficiently energetic gut shot could level who knows how much of an area. Makes no sense.

Maybe that robot brain of his just doesn't really worry about the risks, and doesn't mind eating rope.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:19 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ExenTrik wrote:
...One sufficiently energetic gut shot could level who knows how much of an area...

That sounds like a feature, not a bug. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
...One sufficiently energetic gut shot could level who knows how much of an area...

That sounds like a feature, not a bug. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, being a binary explosive, simple shock wouldn't do it; you'd have to actually bring a relatively significant amount of both parts into contact with one another *first* and *THEN* spark it off.

Take epoxy resin for instance; first you have to thoroughly mix the binary components, and only then do they start to harden on contact with air.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:09 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:

Hey, warm rope can be really, really tasty!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I see it a different way... The big limitation in that room isn't mutually assured destruction: It's the ease with which the perpetrator can be identified, and hunted down afterwards.

In that vein... I anticipate that Petey will propose some sort of weapons inspection and verification regime... All long guns must be declared, under constant observation, and publicly acknowledge responsibility for any targets they fire on. Fail to comply with this regime means a war against Petey, as the enforcer of peace.

ExenTrik wrote:
I expect someone to point out that everyone in the room is a check on everyone else's threat capabilities, but literally nothing in the galaxy can do anything if the plenipotent dominion goes any more rogue than they already have.

Arcanestomper wrote:

I wonder why he can't just not do that anymore. Clearly it was useful before, but he can have all manner of other kinds of protection now. I would also assume his original kit allows modification, but even if it didn't applying more tech would surely correct it. One sufficiently energetic gut shot could level who knows how much of an area. Makes no sense.

Maybe that robot brain of his just doesn't really worry about the risks, and doesn't mind eating rope.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Krennson wrote:
I see it a different way... The big limitation in that room isn't mutually assured destruction: It's the ease with which the perpetrator can be identified, and hunted down afterwards.

In that vein... I anticipate that Petey will propose some sort of weapons inspection and verification regime... All long guns must be declared, under constant observation, and publicly acknowledge responsibility for any targets they fire on. Fail to comply with this regime means a war against Petey, as the enforcer of peace.

That kind of thing barely works in reality, where all parties are known and reachable, resources can be tracked and range can be anticipated. Given an entire galaxy of potential malefactors both official and rogue this really doesn't seem plausible to enforce. At the very best, those who abuse long guns can be tracked down and punished but even if it were easy to determine its point of origin a few teraports later and there is no trail to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:57 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Petey flat out told LOTA that he knows where LOTA is - http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-11-26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

ExenTrik wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Well it saved his life in the fight against the subverted police force. Having to eat some very fibrous meals it probably a small price to pay for a built in explosive production line.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Barmaglot wrote:
Petey flat out told LOTA that he knows where LOTA is - http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-11-26

That's an argument for going dark more than anything though. If LOTA dumped all hypernodes and went terraporting into the black, not even petey could track LOTA. Good opsec and/or sacrificial long guns (oh look, the NUSPI) could then be used to blow up things you didn't care for without it coming back on you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:31 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

We don't know how Petey knows where Lota is though, and whether or not it is even possible to go dark against him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:36 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Barmaglot wrote:
We don't know how Petey knows where Lota is though, and whether or not it is even possible to go dark against him.

He didn't know about the Galactic All-Stars, so I'm going to venture "It is in fact possible to hide from the psychobear at the center of the galaxy."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
Barmaglot wrote:

He didn't know about the Galactic All-Stars, so I'm going to venture "It is in fact possible to hide from the psychobear at the center of the galaxy."

How do we know that he doesn't know? He hasn't been involved with the subject and has the Archive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:13 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Barmaglot wrote:

He didn't know to look for the all-stars. Now that he (might) know(s) to look, he could check for gravitational bobbles not accounted for from the stars he can see.
Which is probably how the thing was discovered in the first place. Checking gravitational anomalies for possible prizes.

I suspect, LOTA can't go completely dark, as then he'd be shooting blind.
You'd have to run your hypernode through enough secure anonymizers to get targeting information with which to fire your gun.
I suppose you could just bombard planets from range. No one is likely moving those for awhile, and your last current maps will probably still be accurate enough for blasting cities.

I don't know how hypernodes work. If they're discoverable via a scanner, or if they're a quantum-pair system, as described in "Enders Game" and "Escape From Terra", only detectable by their paired unit. IF the latter, it might be possible to build a second, parallel, network, and use that for targeting, being ready to burn the whole network in the event of discovery.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:41 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Petey might be powerful, but detecting the gravity of a single star that you can't see? Space is BIG, that might be a tad difficult even for him. That also doesn't make it any easier to find LOTA if LOTA decides to hide.

LOTA going completely dark makes LOTA blind, yes. Which is why I suggested remote, disposable Long Guns. You send it far away from yourself with a target mission. It connects to the hypernet and scouts around. If somebody catches it before it completes its mission, it's dead. If not, it disconnects and spends some running time before coming home. Good opsec means that people can't easily follow it home.

This doesn't work as well for LOTA's absurdly large gun, but it's the natural progression of the tech.

We have a little info on hypernodes. They can be jammed, and the Toughs have been tracked by their use before. I don't know if that's "It leaked the Galactic Positioning System coordinates of the node" or "they're five lightyears thataway" though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:26 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Sean wrote:
I suspect, LOTA can't go completely dark, as then he'd be shooting blind.

LOTA doesn't have to go dark, just passive. Recieve only as the Toughs have done a few times.

What tripped them up was them then making information requests, which were traceable back to them.

If LOTA went passive and had someone feeding LOTA intel via "blind broadcasts", LOTA could conceivably run-and-gun and remain undiscovered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:27 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Petey might be powerful, but detecting the gravity of a single star that you can't see? Space is BIG, that might be a tad difficult even for him. . . .

We can do it now through analysis, and we can't even go have a closer look when we find an anomaly.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It might work... I was thinking along the lines of this:

You can have all the long guns you want, but you MUST declare each and every one of them. Every ship armed with a long gun will have a permanent PD Warship parked right next to it, watching to see if your gravitics flare. In addition to the PD warship, intel and inspections will also be freely shared with every other nation possessing a long gun.

Any attempt to build a long gun outside of this regime is an act of war. Any observation of a long gun firing, without a corresponding report of who you shot and why, is an act of war. Any attempt to hide a long gun, or communicate with a long-gun-in-hiding, is an act of war. And all of this will be enforced, with extreme prejudice, by Petey.

ExenTrik wrote:
Krennson wrote:

That kind of thing barely works in reality, where all parties are known and reachable, resources can be tracked and range can be anticipated. Given an entire galaxy of potential malefactors both official and rogue this really doesn't seem plausible to enforce. At the very best, those who abuse long guns can be tracked down and punished but even if it were easy to determine its point of origin a few teraports later and there is no trail to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

They aren't called end guns by the archive for nothing. Not all polities are going to want to play by the rules, and it's hard to police acts of war if people don't tell you where their long guns are that they deny having and they are using them to shoot at you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
They aren't called end guns by the archive for nothing. Not all polities are going to want to play by the rules, and it's hard to police acts of war if people don't tell you where their long guns are that they deny having and they are using them to shoot at you.
We know Petey's standards on privacy though. Assuming long guns require enough materials, finesse and tech-level that not everyone can build them, Petey could conceivably keep tabs on them all.
Of course, the obvious downside to this plan is that it puts all eggs in the psychobear basket, who has already proven that he's not above taking out a government for somewhat subjective reasons and installing what must be considered a puppet-king in its place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

it also creates a mutually assured destruction scenario. and there are entities with the desire to trigger that.

for example, the Panuri (sp?) could have their baryonic slaves in andromeda build a long gun, move it to an out of the way location in the Milky Way, take a fiew strategic shots, and start a long gun shooting war

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:02 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

They have a core generator too. A big one. They could do it from waaaaaaaaay downtown.